1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint chips

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by McDan, Feb 3, 2016.

1. McDan

McDan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    My wife rear-ended someone about a year ago in her 2012 Prius C. The hood had to be repainted during the repairs. Since then, we have noticed TONS of chips in the paint as if the new coat isn't as durable as the factory coat.

The dealer sums it up to normal road damage but it's just hard for me to swallow that in the first year of ownership we noticed maybe one or two normal dips in the paint while after the new coat, it seems to be coming off MUCH more rapidly.

Has anyone ever had any issues like this?

2. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Shop apparently did a horrible job by not putting enough coats of base paint and clear coat. Check with your insurance company, I believe there is a warranty on the repair that they will cover especially if it was their choice of shop.

For me, I made sure they put a durbable flexible paint to handle the road chips better. I paid for the better paint difference.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hood is aluminum i believe, perhaps they didn't follow protocol. is it the dealer shoppe, or subbed out?
    take it to another shoppe for evaluation.

4. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Actually I had the same problem with factory paint. First thing I did was install the clear 3M

5. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I see this often, as a rule aftermarket paint work is more prone to paint chips.
    Perhaps a paint expert can chime in, is factory paint baked at higher temps?

6. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If properly done, it will withstand the sand blaster affects. But insurance repairs almost always go cheap and less coats to save money. That is why I paid for the upgrade on my old Porsche lower valance

7. Smstone247

Smstone247 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I have dozens of paint chips on the hood of my car, a few on the front sides and even above windshield. I am the only driver and put a lot of miles on it. I partially blame all of the construction this year with all of my driving. I have never experienced this before. It may be the height and shape of the car catches more stones. But this is factory paint. They said they would check into it, twice now, but no contact.

8. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    See post 5.

If the shop repair was good..then that is the nature of repaints.
    If you believe the shop did not do a good repair...then IMO you'll have to re-contact them or your insurance.

Yes, clear film over the repaint is the answer.
    Wait at least 90 days, if not 180 days before applying the film over a repaint is my recommendation, yet your call.

Or since you have collision damage, sell the car, buy a new one and investigate diminished value if applicable.

Good luck in a resolution.