1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint Issues and Rust on 2012 Prius Two

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jasmine78, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Jasmine78

Jasmine78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone. I ran across this forum when I was searching online for any other owners who issues with their paint chipping from their vehicles.

Let me give you some background:
    I own a 2012 Prius Two, purchased in April 2012
    A few weeks after purchase, I noticed a chip in the paint on my hood, I didn't think too much of it, but in retrospect, it seemed a bit odd since I just got the car. The chip is all the way down to the metal, so it must have been a hefty rock that hit it. (No rust on this spot though)
    A couple weeks ago I noticed three small chips in the paint on the roof of my Prius, again all the way down to the metal but this time there is rust underneath! I don't know when these occurred or what caused them (I'll post some pics later) but I highly doubt it was due to a rock or another "environmental" factor. I took the vehicle into the dealership and surprise, surprise, I was told that the damage was environmental and not a defect and would not be covered under the warranty. The service manager also said there were other spots on the roof and blamed these on environmental factors too. I was crushed to hear this! I've only had the car about 15 months and it's already rusting??? I have never heard of this happening. Prior to this car, I owned a 2009 Toyota Corolla and had absolutely no issues with the paint. I don't drive or store either vehicle differently so I don't understand how this could happen! In all the cars I've had, I've never seen this. Sure, I've had rocks chip the paint before, but never all the way down to the metal and 3 is a straight line. I was told by the dealer that a rep from Toyota would be in town in August and can take a look at my car. I'm afraid that they will say the same thing and I'll be stuck with a car that is slowly rusting away. Do anyone have any advice on what I can do? To add insult to injury, the manager at the dealership had absolutely no advice to prevent this damage from happening in the future! Shouldn't the paint on the car be more durable and not chip all the way down to the metal??? From some of the prior postings, it looks like Toyota Corp is a fairly reasonable company to deal with and I'm hoping I will have the same luck. I'm so upset over this because I love my Prius.

On a side note, I also noticed tons of tiny scratches in the paint, all over the car. It's almost as if the paint was too soft or something. I had a body shop point out the rock chip on the hood to me, they had used a grease pencil to draw a circle around it and I noticed that the impression of the circle was still on the hood after the grease pencil was washed off. That seems pretty odd doesn't it?

Thanks everyone for reading this!

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd say the paint is a little more scratch prone than most (similar to a Subaru that we own).

The reason that the hood didn't rust is that it is aluminum. It can corrode but it won't be red rust.

The only significant paint damage that my car has incurred was the keying that it got when it was 3 weeks old.

Whereabouts do you live? There doesn't seem to be a strong tendency for rust in these cars but it's a little hard to know from PriusChat and its Californa/Southwest weighted population.

3. Jasmine78

Jasmine78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in the Northeast (Buffalo NY). I'm stressing out about a potential fight with Toyota. I think it is unacceptable for there to be rust on this car and paint chipping off so easily.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just food for thought: One time we bought a "new" car, that had sideswiped something, likely a bulkhead coming off a ship. In Canada they're LEGALLY* allowed to have had repairs up to 20% of the car's retail value, and still call it new. The paint could be pulled off with masking tape, is how bad it was.

Anyway, the dealership, who apparently didn't get the full story, it happened in transit to them, gave us a decent, on-the-spot trade in.

(You're within your rights to stroke out that clause, say append it to read "$500 max", if the dealership will go along with it. A contract's not carved in stone.)

5. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have a 2012, I drive 90 miles a day, mostly on the freeway here in socal. Toyota is know for their soft clearcoats. I have two dings from rocks, and I know from rocks as they make a good noise when they bounced off. Both of them have a small rust spot in the pocket of each. And were talking a pin head size. Not much you can do but clean the rust out with a needle and get a chip repair kit. My Prius is black and will show every nick and chip I get. Your scratces also could be from various products and towels from washing it. Check out www.autogeek.com and learn how to protect your paint. I did and it is a bit of work but it made a big difference in the shine.

6. Jasmine78

Jasmine78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks tach18k! The spots you describe are exactly like I have on the roof of my car. My Prius is black as well and it does show EVERYTHING!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would ask an independent body/paint shoppe for their opinion.

8. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Here is my chips, just above the front glass line.[​IMG]

9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, this as well as hood is the rock impact zone. They are quite big indeed.
    Pardon my asking, but is this your first car?
    Most people know to fill the defects with touchup paint before surface rust sets in. The paint may be soft all right, but this damage is not going to be covered by warranty.
    BTW, Black paint is way the hardest to keep in any decent shape as any defects will show like crazy.

10. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    White has it's issues too...
    All the exterior plastics are solid black then final painted to the car's color. When you get a chip or scratch down to the plastic on a white Prius on any of the plastics (especially the nose area that's prone to rock strikes) you get a very noticeable black chip mark/track in the white paint.

If my last two cars weren't silver- I would have gone with that color for the Prius as it's probably the most forgiving color available.

11. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I had seven chips at the end of the first week in my bumper, and hood. Touched up the paint and had a clear bra installed. Haven't had any more chips, since. And, yes! The white sucks on the plastic, you can never get it to be a bright white with the touch up paint, because of the black underneath. I think as the paint ages a little, it is less chip prone...

12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The white touch up paint from Duplicolor tends to yellow in sun. Rustoleum started marketing a new line of touchup paint. I hope it's better.