1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint issues

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Alfredo zamuner, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Alfredo zamuner

Alfredo zamuner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2010 Prius started peeling pain and Toyota has issued a recall on some models that have the same problem as my 2010 Prius but my car isn't being recalled for whatever reasons.

Attached Files:

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some ? How about none :D

3. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    eirens and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Alfredo zamuner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know if there were reasons given for not covering the Prius?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Alfredo zamuner is that Super White or Blizzard Pearl, just curious.

I feel your pain. :(

Johnny Cakes and Alfredo zamuner like this.
  6. Alfredo zamuner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Blizzard Pearl.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. swindler

swindler New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2011 just started chipping near the front and around the windows of my 2011 with blizzard pearl paint. I may need to wrap it...

8. DIFFY

DIFFY New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2010 Prius 4. The paint had started chipping away about two months ago at my windshield line. Now it is chipping away at the hatchback line. And just recently a small piece of paint come loose on the driver-side fender. This is not normal and yes it is the Blizzard White Pearl that has been having issues on all other models. We all need to let them know now. I have just gotten off the phone with them. She said at this time there is no action being required for the paint. WE have to swamp them with our concerns and then let anyone we can know about it. I dont know about you but its not in my budget to have this special 4 stage paint job done. Just painting the front is bumper cover is over $900. So you can see where this will get extremely expensive.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    people here junk their turd gen and buy new cars when they experience lesser problems, paint chipping is a bigger issue and most will just get a new car and jump back on netflix. More Pop corn please.

10. Cedric K

Cedric K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can you explain the wrap concept? My 2010 is peeling all over and I live in Hawaii. Rainfall here is 150"/year and this thing will be a rust bucket in no time. Also if anybody has tips about touchup paint they would be appreciated.

11. tongo

tongo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Good News! After multi-reporting of the paint peeling problems over many years on my 2010 Prius to Toyota Corporate America and to my local dealerships, Toyota just sent me a "Customer Support Program ZKG Notification" regarding "Paint Peeling for factory applied Blizzard Pearl". The notice says Toyota is offering a voluntary customer support program to meet their customer satisfaction goals and will provide provide coverage to repaint the affected specific panels.

When I first called Toyota Corporate Office many years ago about the problem, they said my VIN number did not appear on their list of affected cars but will notify me if my car vin number appears in the future. Well years later, and fast forwarding to 2023, they finally notified me that my car can now be brought into their dealership for repaint service.

It restores a lot of confidence in Toyota. I own a 12 year old Prius and a 19 year old Avalon XLS. Toyota, if you read this, contact me and I will give you a big endorsement for your follow up customer service!

Fifen, SheckyZ, Mendel Leisk and 2 others like this.
  12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What’s your code and will you provide free tech support?!

13. Frog88

Frog88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the hint :) The Blizzard Pearl original paint on my Prius 2013 began to peel a week ago on both passenger-side doors , starting by the rubber seal at the bottom of the glass window. The 1" by .5" flakes come off and expose the grey primer underneath. So far, about a 2" by 2" area is exposed on top of the front door handle, as well as 2 narrow strips 5" by .5" next to the window seals on both doors.
    I will go to the dealer tomorrow and talk to them about the ZKG Notification, then report about the interaction ;-)

#13 Frog88, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2023
    SheckyZ and ukulelegeek like this.
  14. From13to50

From13to50 1st time, short time, owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    HOORAY!!!! Don't give up hope. After years of complaining to Toyota and my dealer about my peeling 2010 Blizzard Pearl, I finally got the ZKG notice.

ukulelegeek and bisco like this.
  15. ukulelegeek

ukulelegeek Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Please keep us posted!

16. Ry Brown

Ry Brown New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This fills me with hope for my 2010 Blizzard Pearl. Almost all of the panels are peeling and Toyota also told me there was no recall on my vehicle. Any suggestions you have to help me out would be greatly appreciated. I gave them my VIN, but don’t have faith that they will contact me again.

SheckyZ and ukulelegeek like this.
  17. Frog88

Frog88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I went to the Dealer today. They looked at the pealing paint and told me 'we will fix it'. They kept the car one afternoon to [1] take photos to submit to Toyota headquarters [2] have a bodyshop look and quote. They told me that it will take a month for Toyota HQ to approve the repaint at no cost to me; there would be additional cost if the doors were damaged, but in my case, the bodywork is pristine.
    So far, I have not heard back from Toyota; the pealing is getting much worse, now about 10" by 5" for the main patch. I went back to the dealer, and I will bring the car in next week for repair.
    As a side note, the paint pealing only happened on the passenger-side doors; this is the side that faces south (and the California sun) when I park the car everyday at work or at home.

Attached Files:

SheckyZ, ukulelegeek and Grit like this.
  18. Abhishek1985

Abhishek1985 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also drive a 2010 Toyota Prius 2 and noticing the same issue of paint chipping of Blizard Pearl white. I think we need to form a group and get in touch with Toyota management to include Prius too in the paint warranty extension program or have it recalled. All other models have been included in this recall/extension program except Prius which is not fair.

ukulelegeek and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Abhishek1985

Abhishek1985 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have same issue with my Prius. Which dealer you took the car too? Please let me know.

ukulelegeek likes this.
  20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O