1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint over Plastidipped Wheel Cover

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Joe Schmo, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey fellow modders,

I need some advise. I plastidipped my wheel covers last summer matte black. I prefer the look over just removing the covers. However, the plastidip looks light gray in the sun. You can see the contrast in the attached picture of the wheel with the black alloy wheels beneath. I was thinking about using some glossy black spray paint over the plastidip to blend the covers with the glossy black alloy wheels beneath but I heard the glossy finish doesn't hide imperfections as well as matte. My plastidipping wasn't perfect so glossy might not look very good. Do you all think I should just try black matte spray paint over the plastidip or do I need glossy black to match the black alloy wheels? I don't care if the paint makes it harder to remove the plastidip later. I will just buy new covers on ebay if necessarily. Thanks. 0228171458a.jpg 0222170823.jpg 0920161215a.jpg

businessph likes this.
  2. d_alpine_m

d_alpine_m Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The plastidip should peel right off and then you can paint it. The paint would adhere better to the actual hubcap rather that painting of the plastidip. Matte paint would be the way to go to not see major blemishes but the gloss is the way to go if you prefer to have the inside alloy blend. If not take the caps off and call it a day.

3. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you think matte black spray paint will look darker than the covers look now with just black plastidip? I want the covers as black as possible. I posted the one pic to show how they look in the rain which is much darker. I'll remove the plastidip first if necessary but I was just looking for a quick fix to darken them up.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the logic or advantage of spray painting over the plasti-dip?
    Potential reversibility?

Otherwise, I would venture to guess you're kind of a pioneer here.
    That is, all you can do is try it, then evaluate how you like it or not.

In the simplest of terms of course the difference between Matte and Glossy is basically "Shiny" or reflective...vs "Not Shiny" and absorbing.
    I suppose if your plastic wheel covers are scratched or have a great degree of damage..glossy may reveal that to a greater extent.

This really ultimately has to be subjective.
    What look you like.
    What look you are looking for.

I would say while your wheelcovers as is..contrast against the black alloy underneath...the matte color IMO blends nicely with the rest of the vehicle and the tires themselves.

On my computer your vehicle looks gray...not black.

My speculation would be, if you go Glossy Black, you match better the alloy of the wheels...but then contrast more with the whole vehicle.

Which again becomes fully subjective as to whether that is better or worse.

5. Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I figured if I painted over the plastidip with matte black and it came out darker then I'd be happy and done. If I didn't like it I could peal it all off and try a glossy black paint. I have a feeling glossy on these covers will look cheap though. Perhaps it does now. Matte black is probably better. I just don't like how the black plastidip looks light gray in the sun. Yea its winter gray not black so even now the covers match the color scheme I've got going. Valenti smoked tail lights are next!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.