1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint Protection and FE/MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jbleee, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jbleee

jbleee New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay I searched, and this is also my first post. I just got a new 2011 Prius II and love it to death. I have 3M paint protection scheduled for this thursday by certified installers/pros.

My only question, and it might be a stupid one..but will Paint Protection negatively affect the FE/MPG of my Prius? I know they say it has a .25 drag etc and how extensively its been tested/win tunneled etc.

But will something as minor as this really take a way 1-2 mpg if any?

Thanks ! Please forgive me if this topic has been beaten down.

2. jbleee

jbleee New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, how necessary do you guys think it is to protector the side mirror cups

3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If you want, you can wax right over the shield and make it slippery in the wind, although I don't think it will make any difference. Enjoy your new Prius.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Absolutely. The right mirror on my 2010 has taken a beating & is still intact. It all depends on how hostile the environment is that you drive through.

The cups behind the door handles also take a beating.

5. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe PC member rrolff could test how paint protectant affects FE at the JPL wind tunnel and report back to you.

6. jbleee

jbleee New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Just took a look at my dad's car and looks like there are some chips on the side mirror cups

Do you guys recommend doing the headlights?

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask them if it blocks UV light. If so and you park outside then I'd say yes. After 5yrs of outside parking, my headlights are starting to yellow. Now I have to sand and polish them to clean off the degraded area.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wax it yourself once a year and save the $300 :_>

9. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to PriusChat. Forget the paint sealant expense. It's just a gimmick!

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assumed the OP was talking about 3M Clear Bra protection and not paint sealant. Am I wrong?

11. jbleee

jbleee New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am talking about paint protection as in clear bra, I had 3M installed today, dog legs, bumper, and side mirror cups.

Did not do the headlights though.

Anyone else, as in if it will affect FE/MPG?

12. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I though OP was talking about a wax paint sealant, rather than the bra. My concern with the bra is the paint under the bra not matching the rest of the car after years of use. At one time, Toyota installed a clear plastic coating across the front, but I understand that has been discontinued, though I don't know why.

Many folks complain about the soft paint across the front of the plastic and top of hood. The bra may be a good solution if you're traveling on gravely roads and or in heavy traffic and have concerns for debris hitting the front of your Prius. I suppose you just have to get used to the look.

If you install it, post a pic.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you maintain your vehicles paint finish, there should be no real noticeable difference. The clear bra itself will tend to discolor a bit over time depending on how often the car sits in full sunlight but that takes years. The bra can always be removed and a new film installed if that becomes an issue.

If properly installed, the clear bra is nearly invisible and really does help with rock chips. The shop I used to work at installed clear bras. I wish I had installed the full system on my Prius back when it was new. Rocks and road debris have taken their toll on the front end of my car such that I hate washing that area because its so ugly. :(

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The effect on FE is negligible. If you had it stuccoed, that would make a difference.

15. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Paint protection is not a bad way to gain efficiencies. I think it needs some further testing though.

Ceramic window tint alone gets you near 1 MPG (during sunny daytime driving).

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a similar product called Clear Shield and there is no adverse effect on mileage whatever. I had the headlights done also because I too have had plastic headlight covers turn yellow from UV. The guy who did mine was very patient and had to try a couple of times to get the headlights covered correctly.

I live in an area where they use small lava rocks (gravel) on the snow vice salt. We also have quite a few gravel roads. The Clear Shield/Clear Bra products really help. 40K miles and no rock chips at all.

17. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I don't think you are wrong. One question: If that clear bra does provide UVA protection doesn't that mean that the car will fade at different rates?

I don't think that the clear bra would have any impact on mileage but ask Rrollf, he can make up some tests and tell you all about them.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Potentially yes but see my post above. :) Color of your car will play a large role as well because some colors oxidize much faster.

19. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I asked once (3M that is) and was told that if they made it UV resistant they would end up with two toned cars. I don't think it is. I wax my headlights often for that very reason. The headlight enclosures are getting very, very expensive and as far as my 04 TBird is concerned, really hard to find.

20. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't care about the bikini line, as long as you get a regular bikini wax. :rolleyes: