1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint Protection Film/Clear Bra

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by The Critic, Jun 19, 2011.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am thinking about purchasing a pre-cut kit that includes a 24" section for the hood (which will cover about 85% of the hood), fenders, headlights, mirrors and bumper. Cost is about $300, plus $200 for my friend at the body shop, a former PPF installer, to install the kit.

Right now, I am undecided on whether I should go with 3M Scotchgard or 3M Ventureshield Ultra. The word on the street is that 3M Scotchgard has a very noticeable orange peel and is challenging to install, but has a true clear coat which makes it the most durable film on the market. On the other hand, Ventureshield Ultra is extremely clear and has a top coat but lacks the same durability as the 3M Scotchgard.

Another factor in the decision is the pattern cutting software. Apparently, there are many different softwares on the market, but some of them cut patterns of film that are poor fitting. From my research, I have been told that XPEL and Proform designs offer the best patterns in the industry. However, this obviously varies by application too-- it's certainly possible that the "lesser" companies have good patterns for the Prius.

So, does anyone have any experience with either the VentureShield Ultra or 3M Scotchgard film on their cars? Your feedback is really appreciated. And also, if you happen to know which pattern cutting software your installer used, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

2. Sigo

Sigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am interested as well.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Disclaimer: I own a Honda Fit.

I had 3M installed shortly after purchase. After a little over a year? I'd say it has been helpful in reducing chips. I have a black vehicle and you can see a line if you are looking but it's pretty invisible and IMO not an issue.

On the negative side? Once I got "Bird Deffication" on the Clearbra...it wasn't on for long...and it clouded horribly. Couldn't wash or wax the clouding away. Eventually had to take it to the installer, who used an orbital buffer and some professional products to reduce the clouding...also it seemed to fade away with time. Weeks..not days....

But just a warning..with 3M, you want to be as agressive as possible about removing any "droppings" that might land on it. While it protects the finish...it itself clouds...and while I think it does fade...it looks horrible while you are waiting...

SilverStreakR likes this.
  4. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had the 3M Scotchgard on my Insight-I since 2006 and it is holding up extremely well. I figured this car will be a collectors item, so I had the film applied on the bottom half of the front hood, front bumper, headlights (prevents them from hazing), side mirrors, door sills, rear hatch sill. Yes you can see the edges if you look very closely (my car is red). One minor advantage is that one can wax right over it and just wipe off the wax.

I don't plan to have it done on the Prius. I got a lot of stone nicks in my previous cars. It's amazing how slowing down and not tailgating has reduced the number of nicks in my cars' hoods and windshields.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a product called Clear Shield by Bekaert. Installed right after I bought the car almost two years ago. Same coverage Critic is considering for about the same price.

I can't comment on other brands but the stuff I have still looks as good as it did when installed, it works well to prevent chips and scratches.

6. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Xpel and Proform are the best patterns - Hands down. And would recommend wrapping all edges. As for 3M vs ventureshield - we install both however do NOT recommend ventureshield ultra for daily drivers due to the Florida Love Bugs. The warranty is much better on the 3M film.

7. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yesterday, I ordered a VentureShield Ultra pre-cut kit, cut with Xpel Software, for this car. It has a 24" bikini cut for the hood, full bumper, turn signals in the bumper, headlights, mirrors and partial fenders. $287 for the kit, and another $200 (ish) for my buddy to install it. Local installers were quoting $700 for the 18" hood kit without headlights, so with headlights and the 24" hood piece, I was likely looking at over $800. Hopefully my friend does a good job. I will keep this thread updated.

8. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, I had the kit installed last Saturday by an old HS classmate who used to do these installs for his body shop.

Long story short, the hood and fenders are passable (i.e. ok, not great), but the bumper has about 15-20 bubbles. So, I think the bumper install is screwed. It has been over a week and none of the bubbles have gone away. I am basically out $287 for the kit and $200 that I paid him.

Lesson learned was, even the best film is worthless if your installer stinks. I should have just paid Premier or another top-notch shop to do the job to begin with. Now, I have to pay a shop to strip off the bra and another $700 or $750 to redo the job.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix the existing bra, let me know.

Thanks.

9. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How large are the bubbles? If I remember right when I installed 3M on my 2002 Solara, I had some bubbles about 1/8 inch which took maybe a month to disappear. Maybe wait a bit longer?

10. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had a 3M clear bra on my Gray 07 Matrix since new, over 4 years now & it still looks great. I also had one installed on my silver 09 Corolla & it still looks fantastic at almost 3 years old.

When it came time to do my Prius I had them cover the entire hood & the installer even wrapped the edges. They also covered the entire front bumper, headlights, side mirrors, door edges & door handle cups, all for $600 which I thought was pretty decent. :)

I would always recommend that you have a local shop do the work in case a situation comes up that is under the warranty. A little more spent at first will save a lot of money later.

11. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update:

Booked an appointment with a very well-respected clear bra installer to have a new clear bra installed. The shop will be doing a custom partial hood with wrapped edges, pre-cut bumper (with custom cutting for the tow hooks), partial fenders, partial mirrors and full headlights.

I will be stripping the film myself and having this shop do the new install. They are using a film by Prestige Film Technologies that has an embedded clear coat, similar to NanoFusion. It has a seven-year warranty. They have quote me $940-- $790 for the bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors; $150 for the headlights. I will keep everyone posted on the results of the install.

Here is one example of their install, interesting comment by them about Ventureshield's quality issues. I have found that the Ventureshield Ultra film that is on my car right now already has a lot of permanent stains marks for bugs that will not come out, despite weekly washes and regular waxing.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...aymans-laser-diffuser-system-clear-guard.html

12. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought 3M scotchguard (bumper, hood, fender, mirror and headlight) because Expel kit was about 2x more expensive. Getting them installed next weekend for $200.

$300 for the complete kit on eBay
    $200 labor
    $225 tinted window

$725 for everything