1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint quality under door handles

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius2016excel, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Prius2016excel

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Paint quality in general is fine on my Prius but anyone else have poor paint quality under the door handles? Yes, black cars seem to be the worst for this and my vehicle is 6 years old now but it was like this when I bought it second hand 3 years ago.

I never touch this area when I use the door handles and unless the previous owner had claws for hands I’m unsure why it would deteriorate like this.

Any tips to restore the area? Thanks.

6DA43EFF-20D3-48D5-98A9-89132AC567B8.jpeg

2. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's the same paint used on the rest of the car. It's just that nails are tough and sometimes sharp.
    The manufacturer usually puts a strip of tape over the area to prevent scratches before the sale.
    Try waxing the area to minimize the scratch appearance.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah ours always end up looking a little "burnished". But definitely looks like Yeti was the previous owner.

Merkey likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our black hycam was just like that when we picked it up in 2013. they touched it up, and it has held up pretty well since.
    i can't imagine what people do on test drives. either that, or just the few people handling it from the factory.
    you're right though, black shows the worst

Merkey likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fingernails, the human form of claws. Note that a portion of the human population regularly keeps or wears extra long fingernails, sometimes even cover them with fancily decorated overlays. And hardened for durability.

Add in rings, and keys commonly held in their hands instead of pockets (a portion of the human population commonly wears clothing that doesn't even have pockets), and these scratches can build up really fast.

When carpooling (in other cars, before Prius), I noticed that these scratches were building up faster on my passenger doors than on the driver door.

#5 fuzzy1, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    dacoobob likes this.
  6. jtstockton

jtstockton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buff it out and then throw some door handle cup paint protection film on it. Lamin-x and Xpel make them, I'm sure there are others.