1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

paint question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by RivRider, Apr 9, 2015.

1. RivRider

RivRider New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been lurking on priuschat for a while. But, this is my first post. So, I am not quite sure this is the best forum for this question.

I am planning on replacing my 2000 Accord later this year after fifteen years and 200k miles. So, have been researching different cars forums to find out what their owners think. The Prius and Prius c are high on my list.

On one of the forums I have been checking, a number of people have complained about the delicate paint that comes on their cars. Seems like the paint is easily chipped, perhaps due to new paint formulas used these days. How does the Prius paint seem to be holding up? I hope to keep the next car ten years or more, and want to keep it looking good.

2. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

I personally had trouble with the black paint chipping away on the frontend of a 2012, haven't had our summer rain long enough to have any problems!

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Between the shape of the car, the paint's formula, and manufacturers finding new ways to use less paint, the Prius is a scratch magnet. The first trip my car takes is to get protective film applied. If the car is washed & waxed regularly one shouldn't have paint problems.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've found the paint pretty durable, on our 2010 in silver. I do wax it twice-yearly. Get the touch-up pen, stay on top of it, you'll be ok.

It won't completely negate hood damage, but increasing following distance is good for myriad reasons, not the least being reduction of flung-up stones from the car in front.

lar.smith42 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it's important to find out where people with paint complaints live and what type of driving they do. i haven't had any issues with 3 different prius, but they're garaged, an highway is a small part of my driving.

6. RivRider

RivRider New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your responses. It looks like paint may not be an area where cars have improved.

Mendel, I know what you mean about flung up stones. I used to live near a gravel quarry. The dump trucks left plenty of stones to fling up. The front bumper of my Accord may have more chips than paint now.

I will check out the paint protection film before getting next car. And will keep it well waxed, and get a touch up pen.