1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint + Upholstery protection - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Mozart, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mozart

Mozart New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dealer is trying to see me the paint protectant + upholstery protection Package for $499 (7 year warranty) Please let me know if it is worth it. Just the upholstery protection costs $239 for 5 years. Doesn't cover tear or punctures. Just stains.

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Here's an idea, buy a can of scotchgard and good car wax, do it yourself. You can buy a lot of wax and a lot of scotchgard for a grand.:)

3. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That sounds like a poor value to me. I agree with Munpot42

4. gsodonis

gsodonis Recent Hybrid Convert

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    By definition, that's dealer markup in a can. Unless they throw it in for free (which is doable if you negotiate properly) it's not worth the paper their warranty is printed on.

5. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most of the time the protection products the dealer sells are b.s. Either it is a bogus product, or the guys in recon don't know how to apply it right so it doesn't work anyway. I used to work in auto finance, so I should know. What you are buying for $499 is the warranty. You won't get that from scotchguard no matter how many bottles you buy. If you have kids or pets etc the warranty is probably worth it as the Prius cloth stains rather easily. That being said, the dealers cost on the stuff is probably around $150 if they are selling it for $499 so you have some room in there to negotiate. I had plenty of customers make claims against the warranty and they were honored by the company no problem, just make sure you save all your paperwork. A few questions to ask are "is there a lifetime limit on the amount of coverage or number of claims" and as exactly what parts of the interior/exterior are covered and against what type of damage. Don't waste your time trying to get stuff "thrown in" to the deal. If it is worth it to you then the price is always negotiable, nothing in this world is free. When I was asked if I could "throw it in" I would say "where would you like me to throw it".