1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Palm T3 warning - Loctite those screws!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bruceha_2000, Jun 16, 2004.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hi all. I was going to append to Evan's PDA request thread, but I wanted a subject to get your attention.

I bought my wife a Palm T3 last November. Nifty machine, big color screen, fastest processor on a PDA, lots of memory. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the slider was slightly loose on one side - both miniscule screws were missing. Moved one from the other side and taped over them. Scanned the web and found this to be a VERY common problem with T3s. I was lucky to lose them both on one side or there would have been 3 gone before I noticed it.

Now the REAL problem: Palm will not/can not send you new ones (I even offered a SASE and a buck or two), nor will/can they tell you what the screws are so you can get them yourself. I found a couple of sites that had screws for other models, but not the T3, apparently they are different screws. If still in warranty you can send it to Palm for screw replacement (but be without it for some period of time and I imagine you get to pay the shipping). If no longer in warranty, they want $125 to fix it (ie put in 2 small screws). This is a no brainer troubleshooting issue and a no brainer repair. They want $125 for 50 cents worth of repair. I think we know where the screw is here!!

I find this to be an entirely unacceptable answer and if I can not get better info from them, intend to make this my first and LAST Palm product.

For the rest of you, get a tiny screwdriver and Loctite the screws in before they fall out. They are literally about 1/16" long and maybe half that wide. You won't hear them fall, nor find them if they do. I never noticed them backing out but as they are deeply recessed, they'd fall out before you could feel them being loose anyway.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thank you for the warning, Bruce. I'm probably getting a new PDA this fall or winter, and the T3 is my probable next choice (particularly if it ships with Cobalt (Palm OS 6)).

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, the T3's too darn expensive to have fall to pieces before your eyes.