1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pandora being removed from ALL entune systems.(anyone switch to a CarPlay head unit in gen 4)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by liquidtenmillion, Sep 19, 2018.

1. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just received an email stating this.

Apparently due to changes pandora won't support "third party" devices anymore, which is false as other radios will continue to work, just not entune. Toyota just doesn't want to update to the new APIs.

Anyway, I use pandora a lot, and without it entune becomes 100% useless to me. My other question is, has anyone every switched to a CarPlay head unit and:

1. Kept SiriusXM(in a car that had it prior)
    2. Kept HDRadio(in a car that had it prior)
    3. Kept steering wheel controls
    4. Kept offline GPS(in addition to CarPlay GPS, using existing GPS antenna)
    5. Kept backup camera that comes on automatically during reverse.
    6. A way to adjust the vehicle settings on the car(like headlight auto on brightness, door locking behavior, etc.). Not a big deal as I have Carista and can do it from there.
    7. Speed limit and compass display on MFD in center.
    8. Radar cruise control distance and LDA button on steering wheel still work.

#1 liquidtenmillion, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. Hugo Castro

Hugo Castro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So bummed by the news of Pandora being removed from Entune. that was one of the main reason why I upgraded to the JBL / Entune combo.

3. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I decided to purchase a new radio after my research. I will answer my own questions. I purchased a pioneer avh-w8400nex with CarPlay, android auto, and navigation.

1. Aftermarket radios support SiriusXM, but require you to purchase a separate tuner and antenna(you cannot reuse the factory tuner in Toyota, but in some manufacturers you can). I bought the SXV300 from amazon for $30. Not only does it support SiriusXM, it's the highest end possible. It does pause/rewind any XM channel in your presets(they are all buffered, not just the one you are listening to) and there is an option so that every time you change to a station it starts playing at the beginning of the current song, instead of wherever it is at. You can also receive pop ups whenever any of your favorited artists/songs play on any station, and when you browse stations you can see the Song and Artist that are currently playing on that station from the channel list.

2. Most high end radios come with HD Radio and they tap into your existing antenna.

3. On the Prius in order to keep factory steering wheel controls you need to purchase additional adapters. I used the Maestro RR adapter.

4. The unit comes with the offline nav, if you buy one that supports it. You cannot reuse the existing GPS antenna without an adapter, they want you to hide the included GPS antenna under the dash. I have not found the proper adapter, but am interested in it.

5. Backup camera needs an adapter for the Prius, it came with my Maestro RR.(only way to keep it on Prius is Maestro, no other adapter works)

6. The Maestro RR allows you to keep all factory settings on the head unit such as headlight, door lock, window, etc, and actually exposes more settings. If you bought a radio that does not support that, then all settings actually show up on the MFD at the top instead.

7. This screen is gone completely.

8. These work perfectly.

4. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Have you read that Serius XM just bought Pandora? Who knows what that will mean.