1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Does anyone know how I can make the panic switch on my remote work? It's not in the manual... I haven't had any luck finding the answer in this forum & the Prius tech at the local Toyota refuses to talk to me over the phone. I'm almost ready to give up or wait until the next time I'm in New Orleans(Christmas) to take the car back to the dealership it was purchased at.

:(

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds to me like a safety issue. I would think that you should be able to go to any Toyota dealer and they should fix it straight up with no questions asked.

I'm not a paranoid person, mostly because there are things constant reassuring me: fire detectors, CO detectors, seat belts and air bags. Another is the panic button on my fob. If my wife were ever in a situation in which she needed to use the panic button and it didn't work, you can bet I would make some noise about it.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With other cars it's been an issue that the panic button is too sensative. If you hold the panic button down, it works. It's designed with that delay. Not to mention if you hold the panic button along with another one, you start to scan through the doors lock/unlock sequence.

4. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
    I wasn't holding it down long enough. Geez!

Thank you.

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well it's a good lesson to learn. Now I just have to make sure that I have some degree of warning prior to a panic situation allowing the proper duration of button holding.

6. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Would somebody explain to an ignorant Brit what the panic switch is and what it does?

I don't think it's something we get in this part of the world (I'm hoping that's because we don't need it, and not because we're capable of panicking without one).

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are 3 buttons on the U.S. fob (SKS or not). Lock, unlock and a red panic button. This is the only one of the three that is actually a button, the other 2 are over switches under the rubbery surface. If you push and hold the red one, the lights, flash the horn sounds and everyone knows you are in a panic!

It is REALLY supposed to be some sort of "I'm being attacked everyone come help" thing I think. I don't know how often they are used for that.

I suppose if you can't remember where your car is in the lot (car park), you could wander around in a panic holding the button down until the car responds. :)

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the United States, however, lights flashing and horn honking is understood to mean that someone's car alarm is going off for no reason again so walk away as quickly as possible. You would get a much better reaction if you yelled "Hey, they're filming a reality television show here!"

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. true. It has no effect here. Maybe a "help" along with the panic might get attention though. People seem to think a kid is in the car or something.

10. jhoogwegt

jhoogwegt New Member

No panic button on the fob here in The Netherlands.
    Jan

11. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    True point...here in the U.S. people just keep walking when they hear the horn going off in a car...at night it's treated as an annoyance rather than for someone to get out of bed and actually see what's happening. The fact that the Prius, in my opinion, has a very anemic sounding horn, doesn't help matters either. :roll: