1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

... panick attacks, hot flashes, temporary insanity

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by asjoseph, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Samuel,

DTC C1300 "Malfunction in ECU" indicates a problem with the skid control ECU which controls the braking system. That is the electronic unit that was replaced according to your post #19.

Apparently the electronics within that unit were marginal so that they could be affected by your drive past an area producing high RF emissions.

I would not agree with your assertion that inevitably every Prius skid control ECU will fail. However if that ECU does fail, dramatic things will happen as you noted in your post #1.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the RF from the military base is affecting your car you might want to invest in your own

Attached Files:

3. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Skid Control ECU is apparently accessible from the dash side, but it's behind the steering column, so you have to take that out first. To get the steering column out, you have to disassemble the entire dash including the glovebox (according to the service manual, anyway). It looks like more than 1.5 hours of work, but not as much as a day. It will likely depend how much experience the mechanic has with removing dashboard parts!

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They probably got paid for three hours; who knows how much time it actually took.

Tom

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree that the skid control ECU may have been marginal all along. With electronic assemblies, once you get past infant mortality, they generally have close to their rated MTBF assuming no bad temperature/humidty excursions

Some borderline assemblies may work fine for awhile, then one extreme event will tip them into failure modes

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How about a Tempest modification for the OP's Prius?

Tom

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm NSA standards? They cover preventing stray emissions for security considerations. I was thinking more along the lines of MIL-HDBK-423 (MIL STD 2169), it covers EMP

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That would be a good idea in case the OP takes a near hit from a thermonuclear device. You probably want sunglasses as well.

Tom

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't forget the sunblock rated at least 100,000