1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parasitic battery drain

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ryan T, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello! My Prius battery has been having some trouble over the past couple months. I'm going to try including all of the relevant context.

The primary issue: the battery is draining over night. Not necessarily over one, single night. It could be a few days of non-use, or a week. Though sometimes it is just one, single night. The result is the same: I try to turn the car on, to no avail, the battery is dead and needs to be jumped. So of course first thing I did was take it in to Pep Boys to have the battery evaluated. Voila! The battery was totally dead and needed to be replaced. Splendid. Problem solved! Until the same exact problem persisted with the new battery. I even returned to Pep Boys claiming the new battery they gave me might be no good, but they then ran the necessary tests on it showing me that it is in fact a perfectly good battery. They suggested that if the problem persists then it is most likely a parasitic drain. From there, I test for a parasitic draw using a multimeter which gives me a reading of approximately -2.0A. I then pull each fuse (in the fuse box under the hood) and find that there is one that, when pulled, drops the reading to -0.2A (seems like there still may be an additional drawing source but we'll have to worry about that another time). The fuse is that of ECU B, with a corresponding ampere of 7.5, and which is responsible for the "smart key system, personal lights, gauges and meters, emergency flashers"—as per the vehicle's manual.

A couple more *possible* considerations. For the months prior to this particular issue, I was getting messages from my Prius that the key fob battery was low. I responded by switching to the spare key fob, rather than replace the battery itself. Could that be affecting the "smart key system" and causing the parasitic drain? I was also just reading a different article that claims that in order to do a parasitic draw test with a multimeter, the car's battery should be fully charged, and all windows and doors should be shut. Well, in my case, the battery of my Prius was dead and the back hatch was open (since that's where the battery is located so how else are you supposed to access it??). Does this mean the parasitic draw test that I ran was meaningless?

I'd love for any and all help, for if I can't solve it on my own, it'd be great to have as much information as possible to relay to the mechanic. Thanks a bunch!

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    About the manual hatch release: From @Tideland Prius back in 2006 "The manual release is near the latch on the inside. Open your hatch, fold the false floor and look for a cover in the black bin on the bumper side of the car. Remove that black plastic cover and the manual release is there. If you use your fingers to feel for it, they may get greasy as there is grease near the latch if you accidentally touch that. But since you have the hatch open, just use a torch [flashlight] and look for the release. It's quite short (small)"

Yeah, I know the first step says to open the hatch.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of a low fob battery affecting the 12v, but why not replace it and see?

i would get a volt meter and measure the voltage under the hood every morning, after topping up the battery with a smart charger

4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    When the Smart Key system is active, there will be a considerable draw on the 12V, although it should be much less than 2A. Possibly with all the interior lights on as well, you might be drawing closer to 2A. To get a true parasitic draw, you would need to open the hatch and block off the switch that activates the door open signal, then leave the hatch open for 15 or 20 minutes until all the car's systems go to sleep. After that, approach the car without the Smart Key on your person and you should get what is the true parasitic draw. It will never be 0, .2A sounds about right to keep the clock and any other always-on devices in the car properly powered while resting.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    THIS.
    AND....The car's charging system will NOT fully recharge a flat battery in a short period of time.
    So you need to be positively sure that your new battery is fully charged to begin with. Sometimes they aren't.
    Also note that you should not "store" your key FOB close to the car when it is OFF.

You haven't recently added any new accessories, have you ?
    Including an OBD code reader.

priusworkhorse and davecook89t like this.
  6. Ryan T

Ryan T New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What does using the back hatch's manual release accomplish?

Will you please elaborate on the Smart Key system's affect? Are you saying that by having the key fob present, there will inherently be a parasitic draw occurring? Also, how do you "block off the switch that activates the door open signal"? I should add that the interior lights were indeed turned off while I ran the draw test.

No new accessories. Though I somehow left out of my first post that I did happen to have a rodent infestation that roughly coincided with the issues. So my deep dark fear is that that is the cause of this. Though I don't know if it'd explain the intermittence of the issue (?).

Back to the fist point, though, I did not run the test with a full battery I don't believe. Can I use the multimeter to do that?

#6 Ryan T, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2020
  7. Ryan T

Ryan T New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just saw a video explaining that you can do the draw test with the hatch/trunk closed and the multimeter on the outside of the vehicle. Shaves off around 1.5A, apparently. I'll re-do the test as soon as I can and report back.

davecook89t likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    possibly a chewed wire that is occasionally grounding?

you would need a smart charger to charge the battery, before doing the voltage test.

the car constantly searches for the fob. when you get it near enough, the signal is connected. all these things are constantly draining the 12v.

the manual release is only needed if the battery dies and the hatch won't open. you have to crawl in back and open it from the inside, or put 12v to the jump point under the hood.

i think if you switch the overhead lights, there is a position that won't turn them on with the doors open.

#8 bisco, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  9. Ryan T

Ryan T New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thanks for all the info! The thing with the fob, though, is that the car's been dying with or without the key fob in the vicinity. So, presumably, if that were the issue, it'd have to do with the car's proximity detector itself (searching for any and all key fobs nearby) rather than my key fob. The way to test this would be disabling the SKS from within the car, correct?

bisco likes this.
  10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What test exactly ?
    A common multi-meter should work for most anything.......IF you do it right.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i'm not sure how to turn it off. on the menu maybe?

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You car engine shuts down when the key fob is afar? I heard engine stays on even if you throw they keys out the window and continue to drive away.

13. Ryan T

Ryan T New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is correct, but I'm talking about when the engine is off. The battery is draining while the car and engine are completely powered down.

14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No, no. I'm sure he meant that the BATTERY has been dying regardless of where the FOB is stored.