1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parents Protest Gay Fairytale for 2nd Graders...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Deaden @ Apr 25 2006, 03:50 PM) [snapback]245006[/snapback]</div>
    I've already had this discussion with Bobr1. I do not believe you can separate the issue of sex from homosexuality, it is completely intertwined. There is an inherent understanding, in the absence of knowing anything about sex in the first place, that there is something "special"/different about a typical mom/dad. A genetic-based understanding, learing about the sexual aspect only fills in the details, so to speak.

Here, I'll even be 100% direct, the gay lifestyle is precisely what it is. Man to man, woman to woman, relationship. Use whatever word or phrasing you like. Do you really need "lifestyle" after gay? Nope. It is an atypical segment of the population. Atypical. If homosexuals were composed of precisely half the population, I'd use another word, but it is what it is. Can this atypical segment exist as a "normal", loving, familly? Of course.

But to ASSUME in the absence of exposure HATRED, is just plain wrong, and just as ignorant as you might claim all non-homosexual supporters to be.

2. Deaden

Deaden New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 25 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]245007[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I forgot the bible also denies that whole women being equal thing too, great book.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 25 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]245007[/snapback]</div>
    Borrow or steal? Is that what taking in unwanted foster children is, or trying to adopt? First time I've heard it called borrwing or stealing.

Oooo....scary spirits. You know why we have lost knowledge of it with all our advancements? Because science has proven most of it is total BS. That is not loss of knowledge, it is proving reality to people. Just like we "lost the knowledge" that the world is only 10000 years old, or it is flat, or the heavens revolve around us.

I am not gay. I take it personal because I am a rational person that cares about human rights and it infuriates me that religion is invading our government and breaking down the seperation of church and state. You don't want gay marriage guess what, don't marry someone of the same sex. What two people you don't even know does in no way affects your life. Just because YOU believe something doesn't mean you get to enforce your archaic views on the rest of us.

3. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 25 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]245023[/snapback]</div>
    It's not just absence of exposure, it is outright bans on exposure or people throwing a massive snit when there is exposure.

To use your argument, being Jewish is atypical and uncommon. Therefore, schools should not expose students to the existence "alternative" religions and shouldn't teach tolerance of those individuals. Wouldn't be motivated by hatred at all.

There is no rational basis to exclude gay people from public life (or make them stay closeted or ban the discussion of them). All the arguments boil down to religion or prejudice.

If you want to live in a society where the Majority rules at all times and minorities may be discriminated against for any reason, that's just great. But watch out when you become the minority ("atypical") in some regard.

- Bob R.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 25 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]245007[/snapback]</div>
    that's so pathetic it's almost inappropriate to laugh.

isn't it all you bible thumpers going on talking about how 'every sperm is sacred' and women should not have the right to have abortions and therefore put all sorts of unwanted children out there into the world? so what to do about that?

how about instead of 'stealing' a child... you could say adoption matches up a child with a pair of loving parents. how about instead of having children living in deplorable conditions they live with a pair of parents who can provide for them instead?

i'd happily choose growing up with a pair of stable gays who loved me and cared about my well being if those were the other options.

damn, the contradictions are piling up! :blink:

5. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 25 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]245010[/snapback]</div>
    No see, here's the issue, you ASSUME not talking about equates to taboo, something of varying grades of negativity, anti-gay feel, whatever... I don't agree, I think it's presumptious, but hey, I can see where there are certain issues where you'd want to presume the worst, but I suppose that's a whole other discussion...

Ok Bob, please, with these statistics you're quoting, 96% of US counties, you KNOW that can be torn apart seven ways to Sunday. It SOUNDS impressive, but we all know it's around 10%, and there are plenty of people who will live out their entire lives outside cities (not to imply they don't exist anywhere else of course) never coming in contact with ONE openly gay person. So please, it's a nice stat, it really is from your standpoint, 96%. Let's ask a more realistic and appropriate question though, what are the chances of the average American... you know, I'm not even gonig to go there, we all know stats can be argued until the end of time...

Bottom line is, I think you think your demographic is far larger, in terms of exposure (and other aspects) than it really is. Whether your perspective is more accurate or mine, we could debate forever, so I'm not. That's what I think, and that's pretty much that from my standpoint.

Why do I bring it up? Well, assume for a moment all homosexuality is genetic. If we could somehow identify precisely whether or not it was, what then? Sort of going off on another tangent here... Would it somehow cause MORE separation? hmmmm....

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best post in the thread, IMO.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 25 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]245029[/snapback]</div>

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 25 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]245029[/snapback]</div>
    Didn't we go through this before? :D

You can't compare it to religions. Judaism has no immediate underlying sexual themes, even within it's a typical mother/father structure as with most religions.... (and wait, comparing it to religion wasn't MY argument in the first place...)

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT EXCLUSION? How many times can I say this: non-exposure to homosexuals in the 2nd grade DOES NOT mean , taboo/anti-gay feelings run rampid! :lol: But hey, believe/presume what you like.

No, I WANT to live in a society where the MINORITY rules, and the majority is discriminated against... :rolleyes:

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 25 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]245007[/snapback]</div>
    wow that's insulting to women.
    gee, i make the financial decisions. i pay the bills. when DH screws up the money situation, I am the one who carries ultimate responsibility to take care of it. so are we somehow not natural? not human? not married? backwards? what? do i have testosterone and he has the estrogen instead? i know for a fact that i'm the woman and he's the man.

what is it about women that makes us weak and unable to be liable for our own decisions?

this reflects an ancient prejudice that lasted until women's suffrage and beyond- the kind of prejudice that justified "ownership" and beating of wives. i think we've all moved beyond that...

referencing my above reply, i guess DH and i are "ugly"

ha ha ha!!!! oh.. you're serious?? :blink:

so... gay men have women's spirits? girly devil spirits? ooOOOOooohhhh.

guess we should be calling out the ghostbusters then... :lol:

superstition is best left in the past where people didn't have the means to know any better. otherwise we'd all still believe that zeus was the one throwing lightning bolts from the sky.

9. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 25 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]245035[/snapback]</div>
    The 96% stat that I am referring to (and have cited previously multiple times in this discussion) is from the US CENSUS.

It is not an estimate. It is based on actual people who filled out actual forms.

The statistic is SAME-SEX COUPLES sharing a household and having children under 18 years of age... ie, kids in school.

Being gay is not an "urban" thing.

Yes, statistics can be debated many different ways. If you think census data is inherently unreliable, boy are we in trouble... so much depends on census data. (You know, actual people filling out actual forms...)

- Bob R.

10. Mystery Squid

Hey man, y'all layoff winstrings...

He's obviously deeply religious, and what some people are doing here is no better than irrational homophobia...

:angry:

11. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 25 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]245042[/snapback]</div>
    How about living in a society where all citizens have equal rights? Where the majority-elected representatives get to decide what to do so long as it doesn't interfere with the rights of the minority, and a system of courts is established to ensure that laws passed by the majority do not violate rights? You know, a Constitutional Republic? Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.

- Bob R.

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 25 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]244999[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think anyone is mandating that stories with gay couples must be read in second grade. However, it seems to me that specifically preventing them from being read (and fighting tooth and nail) sends the message to the kids that there's something wrong with them.

Kids are smart. If they hear lots and lots of stories about married heterosexual couples and then their parents go balistic when a teacher reads a story about a homosexual couple, they'll put 2 and 2 together.

I'll quote Jon Stewart again: "When I first heard about this whole gay marriage thing, I was against it. Then I heard that they weren't mandatory."

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 25 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]245042[/snapback]</div>

Fred's is MS's playground...these are his rules and we have to play by them.... :rolleyes:

14. Deaden

Deaden New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 25 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]245042[/snapback]</div>
    Ok then, what exactly does "exposure" mean in realtion to gay that it doesn't to hetro? You either are denying they even exist, or "exposing" your kids by teaching them they are not normal people. Your kids are going to know there are gay people the first time some other kid in class starts talking about it. I think it is very clear when you say not exposing them, you mean not letting them see that gay couples can be normal, healthy, families. I see no other explanation.

Yeah, because you are the one being discriminated against. Last I checked if you get married you can get healthcare for your partner, your estate goes to them, and they can visit you in the hospital. Guess what would happen if you were gay? None of those things, because we still do not give them equal rights.

15. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 25 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]245047[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, of course, we're all picking on poor Windstrings now.

In case you missed it, he's the one advocating for discrimination against gay people. I don't see anyone advocating for discrimination against Windstrings.

I've always maintained that Winstrings is entitled to his religious opinions.

- Bob R.

16. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your right... so thats where we stand.

You keep being annoyed at using scripture when sometimes scripture says it the best..... why are you not offfended if I put it in my own words verses say the same thing with scripture?

Animals are subject to spirits too...remember when the evil spirits went into the pigs and they ran off the cliff?
    And do you put yourself on the level with an animal?. Do you not have something different that causes you to be different?

I don't hate child molesters either...... Neither does God... its the spirit that takes over thier own thoughts and dominion and abilities to reach God is what I hate....again, it alienates from God... what makes the gay lifestyle so acceptable, is that no one gets physically hurt and thier is no malice.
    Why do you think we place no laws on crimes that don't physically hurt each other that are more damaging to self and society than the ones that do?
    Hey.. as long as its two adults "consenting".. its ok with the law because the law tries not a play with issues of morality... only those that hurt other people physically.. that still doesn't make it healthy or right.

btw.. its not whats on the surface of the gay union that hurts.... its whats underneath.
    Just two guys hanging out eh?.. just living together raising a kid?
    So how do you teach your children to relate to the opposite sex?
    Do you bother to worry about that.. or is hetrosexual unions not "normal" and you want to teach them that gay is?
    Are they both normal?

You don't need a ticket... excercising a demon is not for display for gain and profit.. its a serious personal thing... a very private thing to the person getting excercised.
    Maybe we shoud sell tickets to you and your boyfriend having sex? That would help educate the public?..
    Care to do it in the classroom for all the second graders to take notes?
    Or would that be too much of a turn on for you to handle?

I wasn't addressing you in that post.

BTW.. you really do sound like a nice guy bob.. I'm sorry we have not met under better circumstances...

17. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 25 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]245044[/snapback]</div>
    Did I accuse it of being anything other than a legit statistic? Did I?

No one said it was an urban thing either, although I used that example to illustrate that there are many people who WILL go through life without bumping into an openly homosexual person, something you seem to not believe, or WANT to believe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 25 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]245055[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, because at this point, it's pure maliciousness and spite. It's like a 10 on 1 gang up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Deaden @ Apr 25 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]245053[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, I'm actually tolerant of the whole gay marriage thing. I can't see a good reason why not.

18. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 25 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]245058[/snapback]</div>
    I must have missed that event. Did someone interview one of the surviving pigs? Did they get the name of the spirit?

Not that it would sway you, but several studies have been done about children raised in gay households and have found that those kids are not any more or any less likely to turn out gay.

The only difference is that in a gay household, if a kid does happen to be gay he won't face being kicked out of the home, as happens from time to time in a small number of straight households.

Do you actually believe that gay people think there is anything abnormal about heterosexuality? Really?

Yes! You're beginning to grasp the total picture. Yes! They are both normal! Most people are heterosexual, some are bisexual or homosexual. That's the simple truth of it.

Husband, actually. How much do you think we could get for a ticket? Funny that the first person in this thread to advocate a live sex show would be you.

Probably not, but hopefully at least someone would find it entertaining, or it would be a serious blow to my ego!

Too Monty Python.

I'm not turned on by kids. You sure seem to obsess about it, though... talked to anyone about that?

Well if I see you at one of the Portland Meet-ups I'll buy you a beer. Maybe we could go bar hopping? I know some places that would really blow your mind.

- Bob R.

19. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 25 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]245052[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: Fear not Doc, my days here are truly limited.... :ph34r:

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 25 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]245084[/snapback]</div>
    I think I just had an acid flashback! :blink: