1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parents Protest Gay Fairytale for 2nd Graders...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 20, 2006.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

There is so much hateful, vitriolic nonsense in this thread and others (e.g., the posts re: religion), and I don't think it serves any purpose to get into arguments with these individuals because you will never get them to listen to your side or consider any view other than their own twisted logic.
    There are people here who insist on saying that people "choose" to be gay- it's a lifestyle. Never mind the preponderence of evidence to the contrary- obviously these individuals are smarter than all the leading psychologists and psychiatrists in the world. And even if someone DID chose to be gay- not for a minute do I believe that anyone does- SO WHAT! It's their life, not yours! Believe all the arcane Bible verses you wish- just don't try to impose your beliefs upon others!
    And all this nonsense about the "gay agenda"- the only agenda that most gay people that I know have is to have a decent life, the pursuit of happiness, to be treated with respect- sounds the same as the "straight agenda" to me! And the minute that someone brings up pedophilia and NAMBLA in a discussion like this- you know that this is not a person with whom you can have a rational discussion.
    But getting back to the orignal subject of this thread- the book that was read in the 2nd grade classroom. This is a book with the theme not of promoting the "gay agenda", not describing the prurient details of "man on man" action to susceptible children- it's to tell kids that, just because your classmate has two moms or two dads- it is NOT OK to bully him or beat him up! And I support that 100%- if they introduced that book into my kid's classrooom and someone opposed it, I'd be at the school committee meeting to defend it.
    My grandparents, bless them, were bigots- I used to hear both of my grandfathers use the "N word" often as a kid. My parents learned that it wasn't acceptable to disrepect people that way because of their race. And fortunately I believe that my generation is, on the whole, more tolerant and enlightened (although we have a ways to go.)
    Maybe, if our kids do get exposed to books such as this, the next generation of Priuschat (whatever that turns out to be!) won't contain so much hatred and homophobia!

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 26 2006, 09:06 AM) [snapback]245529[/snapback]</div>
    You failed to mention that the psychlogists and psychiatrist were gay too.. does that count?

3. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 26 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]245548[/snapback]</div>
    King James was gay, does that count?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 26 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]245509[/snapback]</div>
    You are really displaying your complete ignorance of genetics here and making a complete fool of yourself. Even the most basic understanding will tell you that a simple autosomal recessive trait would completely explain how a 100% genetics based explaination for homosexuality could be arrived at.

I happen to think that it isn't quite that simple (that's opinion), but genetics could explain that.

There are innumerable autosomal recessive diseases that do not allow those with the disease to procreate when the trait is expressed in an individual. Yet, since it is a recessive gene it is passed along generation after generation until two people carrying that recessive gene mate and both of them pass on that recessive gene to the offspring. With both genes (one from each parent) are present the trait is expressed.

If you have any desire to be rid of your ignorance on this subject here's a simple place to start:
    http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/ug1373.asp
    [​IMG]
    edit:Although this chart says "Disease", in no way should one think that I believe homosexuality to be a disease. All human traits follow these genetic patterns (i.e. autosomal recessive, autosomal dominant, X-linked, etc) and the word "Traits" would be much more appropriate here IMO.

5. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 26 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]245548[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, folks, the debate is over... Windstrings has caught on to our massive and diabolical conspiracy to infiltrate all of medicine, science, and politics and bring down Western civilization. We tried to keep it hidden, but now that the truth is out, we'll have to return to hairstyling and fashion design.

Seriously though, throughout this entire discussion, I have endeavored to speak from my direct personal experience and to answer people's questions honestly. None of this has dissuaded the anti-gay crowd from continuing to espouse their paranoid fantasies, childish remarks, smears and innuendo. Now, people are even copying/pasting entire articles and expecting me to "pick that apart", as though it is my job to thoroughly review every single piece of crap that gets posted in here.

I've basically said enough... I may check in with this topic occasionally, just to be sure that the pro-discrimination and marriage-prohibition folks aren't completely out of control.

Be seeing you,
    Bob R.

PS... Efusco, thanks for posting the chart.

6. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 26 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]245529[/snapback]</div>

OK- Here I go, jumping into this. (thanks for the quote above- my feelings are the same)
    I had seen the post each day as I logged in to PC, and I didn't even want to look- why? Because I didn't think it was anything quite like this.
    As a gay man, that is professional, loving, and loved by friends and family, I want to say that I am very saddened by the lack of acceptance displayed here. I first started reading this post yesterday, in between tasks at work, and it was quite interesting. I left work feeling down about the whole subject. Every day after work I meet with a friend of mine to workout at the gym. This friend of mine is 21 years old, and he is about to come out to his family, but is scared to death! They already are suspecting that he is gay, but he is terrified of the rejection he could face. Now he (as well as myself) is not your stereotypical gay, he is very masculine, and lives a very "normal" life- and I bet if ANY of you met him, would have no idea of his HORRIFIC LIFESTYLE choice that he will "burn in hell" for.
    Back to my story- I got home yesterday to change clothes, and met my friend- I told him "You know what, today was a sad day"- He asked why... I told him that he will understand more when he is "out" to his family for this reason:
    When I go to work each day, and the gym, or anywhere else, I am just me being me. I am not a gay guy that shoves it in everybodies faces, and yells out things to str8 people holding hands, or laughing at them- so why should I be told that I shouldn't be happy? Point being that being gay isn't something that I really even think about very often, unless the word gay or queer (etc) is said, or people ask "why don't you have a wife and kids?" When your family accepts you- it especially makes it something that you don't stress so much about, until the issues is debated, and people tell you that you have no right to be happy.
    I was very unhappy as a young adult for many reasons, but one of them being that I was living a lie. After leaving southern CA, I was moved to a very small mountain community, and didn't know of a single gay person. I kept denying the feelings that I had towards the same sex, and often times yes, I wanted to die, and felt that I should not live if this was how I was meant to be. Now to me, I cannot understand how ANYBODY would want this for themselves? Why would I choose to be mistreated or outcast by society? At age 18 I moved out on my own, and found the internet- where I found a chat room for gay men. I was so surprised that there were other people just discussing their lives, and it was ok to be gay. I then found a local chat room, where I could meet gays near me, and I was blown ( LOL sounds bad) away- I had no idea that the place I moved to (a city of about 500k people) had any gay life at all! So I started to make friends, and I was so embarrased to meet these people, as I didn't want anybody that I knew to see me. A couple years later I met a man that I fell in love with, and we shared our lives for a while before ending our relationship- but man what an eye opening experience- to see that I am capable of being happy with a man? I am capable of being loved? WOW! I had always had female friends that had feelings for me, and for any str8 man I could have married a few of them, as we were that close, but I never felt a connection like I have with a boyfriend.
    So anyways, enough of my personal stuff, I am sure nobody here cares, but moreover I don't understand why people of any religion feel that it is their duty to enforce the word of God? If there truely is a God, and I am going to hell for being a great citizen of the United States, paying taxes, helping in the community etc- then so be it! But why do you have the right to tell me? Are you God? You can think what you want- you have every right to, but don't try and stop me from loving somebody, and sharing my life with them.
    And I know why you assume it's all about sex- because if we weren't having sex, we would be "roomates", or close friends, as soon as we have intercourse- it turns into a "lifestyle". With all the issues of the world, and the high divorce rate, the number of battered women, molested children, kidnapped children, why is everybody trying to make it illegal for me to love someone? A human being, not an animal or any sort of object... And raising children, I personally do not wish to have kids, just not for me, but I see nothing wrong with a child having a loving, supporting home. How many homes are disfunctional in reality? HMM?? yet the gays are weak, so let's beat them up over it.
    Also the issue of how many people are gay? When's the last time you have been on a gay dating website, or chat room? Have you seen how many people post "married but looking..." "while the wife is out of town", so yes, I do believe that the numbers are HIGHLY inaccurate. And being that I am not afemminate in any shape, you wouldn't even guess that I am gay if you met me, and I don't know that I would fill out a survey to a stranger that I am, simply because I hate being judged!
    I have written enough I am sure to get my point accross, and I just would like those to seriously stop and think for one moment- If you are str8 and married-
    Imagine that your wife or husband was critically injured in an accident, and dying at the hospital, and requesting that they call you- oh, whoops, sorry you can't see them... Are you family? Nope! "But but but we love eachother, we have been together for 30 years" I am sorry, family only, no roomates or friends.
    Or imagine not being able to walk down the street showing affection, and people picking on you because you love someone... just think for a moment. I know that none of this will sway anyone's thinking, but just realize, for me, being gay was not a choice! And one more thing. Parades, and gay areas of town, I don't know that I could ever live on a "gay street", but why is it fun to visit? Because for once you can relax, you can breathe... No one is going to yell out or push you around etc etc, you can feel free to feel accepted, well that is until some gay basher drives by and yells out his windown, or does a drive by shooting... :unsure:

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 26 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]245566[/snapback]</div>
    You miss the point... did it start with Adam and Steve?
    If you took away all influence from the opposite sex for just one generation... how would you ever get the next generation?... can two males or two females have a baby?

Surely you just missed my point, being a Dr. and all?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 26 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]245574[/snapback]</div>
    You and your friends do not have that much influence and power, but the spirits that drive you are doing the work... now here we go talking about spirits again.....

If you don't believe spirits are influencing mankind, then you also don't believe in God who talked about them all the time, and you really think its all about you.

The physical plane you can see is only the beginning of whats on this planet.

I know.. you want proof.... proof to you means bringing it into the physical realm.

Spirit can influence physical. It happens all the time.... where do the little voices in your head come from anyway?

Without an interview from one of the pigs, you won't believe they were influenced either as they ran off the cliff?

Kinda scary to think something you can't see may be influencing you eh?... that lack of control and security is a bit disconcerting?

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this entire thread is an excellent reason for reading that book, and many more like them, at the earliest age possible.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Apr 26 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]245626[/snapback]</div>

YOu meant the Bible right?

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 26 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]245629[/snapback]</div>
    NO, I most certainly did not.

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ Apr 26 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]245615[/snapback]</div>
    Amen to that. Thank you for your post.

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 26 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]245622[/snapback]</div>
    I must be totally missing your point. IF (huge IF btw) one believes that human-kind started from Adam & Eve (Please tell me you understand that this is allegorical and not literal) then my point is still as strong as ever.

Changes in genes have occured over time. We have different races of people--what race were Adam & Eve? We have multiple colors of eyes and hair--A&E? We have a multitude of genetic mutations that have occured over time that have led to the various qualities that make each person unique and individual. We are not all clones of A&E.

How difficult is it for you to comprehend a minor mutation of a single recessive gene that would allow a genetically unique individual not attracted to the opposite sex? Just b/c those two same sex individuals can't reproduce doesn't mean that the gene that created them can't be passed along. Sickle Cell is a recessive gene, as is Cystic Fibrosis--CF suffers can't (except with the help of science now I think) reproduce, yet we still see people with CF born every day.

So what is your point on the genetics here?

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 26 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]245657[/snapback]</div>
    i think the more religious you are, the harder it is to understand science.

maybe that's genetic too :lol: :lol:

14. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 26 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]245657[/snapback]</div>
    A-HA!

How do you know Doc., got any FACTS we aren't descendants of Adam and Eve? Is there a LAW of Evolution somewhere I didn't know about????

So does anyone oppose children's books on transgendered individuals?

While it's likely they are not as populace as homosexuals, why should their voices go unheard? Does strength in numbers dictate who gets heard and who doesn't? Or should we shove them under the social rug too? You yourself Doc. said there are some male children that dress in girls clothing for fun (which is understandable, as when you're that young, who cares), so why not have transgendered AND homosexual themed childrens books? Should I not, be able to walk around in women's clothes as an adult be ridiculed???

:ph34r:

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 25 2006, 04:57 PM) [snapback]245104[/snapback]</div>
    I Win, I Win...who hoo!![/b/

MS, there is compelling scientific evidence that there are multiple genetic lines from which humans today descended. And they're all much much older than the biblical Adam & Eve.

But, of course, that genetics is all just theoretical, and who can believe carbon dating evidence.

Oh, and welcome back from your restbit.

16. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 26 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]245676[/snapback]</div>
    Just laying the groundwork Doc., laying the groundwork... :ph34r:

Sure, I have no doubt that is the case, but when it comes right down to it, where the rubber hits the pavement, you have LAW for neither. Face it, in the end, you have to believe one or the other (or varying mixes thereof, or something totally different). Keyword=believe. You chose to believe x based on evidence for x. Logical? From a human standpoint, no doubt. What does logic say when you can take the distance between my finger and the key on my computer, and keep dividing it by half until infinity? Logically speaking, I'd never touch the key would I? :ph34r:

What if the evidence is proved invalid, wrong, or misinterpreted, 200 years from now based upon some greater understanding and new technologies? Can you exlude that to the absolute 100th percent degree?

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 26 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]245680[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, let's call it 99.99999%, but you're right, there could be error. Guess my rational logical detailed evidence base arguements are all invalidated now.

18. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 26 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]245574[/snapback]</div>
    No offense bob, but that's sort of the "pot calling the kettle black" isn't it?

On a side note: We should have a button for inserting the phrase "pot calling the kettle black" on here, 'cause it sure is used a helluva lot! :ph34r:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 26 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]245683[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, I think 1,000 years ago, if not a heck of a lot less, if you were to ask anyone of relative, similar, intelligence to yours, if we would someday fly like birds to distant lands, and even around the globe in barely more than a day, I think they might have answered more or less the same:

99.99999999% impossible....

Would early man even be able to comprehend that someday, the very rocks for which he shaped into tools, would someday be shaped into, let's say, cars?

:ph34r:

Personally, I'm always careful about assigning "certainty"/99.99999999%'s to almost anything....

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I guess bottom line is if one can read a gay book to a class of 2nd graders, then one should also be able to read the bible to 2nd graders in school.....

If not then it becomes a dbl standard again..

This was a sad story below:

"OK- Here I go, jumping into this. (thanks for the quote above- my feelings are the same)
    I had seen the post each day as I logged in to PC, and I didn't even want to look- why? Because I didn't think it was anything quite like this.
    As a gay man, that is professional, loving, and loved by friends and family, I want to say that I am very saddened by the lack of acceptance displayed here. I first started reading this post yesterday, in between tasks at work, and it was quite interesting. I left work feeling down about the whole subject. Every day after work I meet with a friend of mine to workout at the gym. This friend of mine is 21 years old, and he is about to come out to his family, but is scared to death! They already are suspecting that he is gay, but he is terrified of the rejection he could face. Now he (as well as myself) is not your stereotypical gay, he is very masculine, and lives a very "normal" life- and I bet if ANY of you met him, would have no idea of his HORRIFIC LIFESTYLE choice that he will "burn in hell" for.
    Back to my story- I got home yesterday to change clothes, and met my friend- I told him "You know what, today was a sad day"- He asked why... I told him that he will understand more when he is "out" to his family for this reason:
    When I go to work each day, and the gym, or anywhere else, I am just me being me. I am not a gay guy that shoves it in everybodies faces, and yells out things to str8 people holding hands, or laughing at them- so why should I be told that I shouldn't be happy? Point being that being gay isn't something that I really even think about very often, unless the word gay or queer (etc) is said, or people ask "why don't you have a wife and kids?" When your family accepts you- it especially makes it something that you don't stress so much about, until the issues is debated, and people tell you that you have no right to be happy.
    I was very unhappy as a young adult for many reasons, but one of them being that I was living a lie. After leaving southern CA, I was moved to a very small mountain community, and didn't know of a single gay person. I kept denying the feelings that I had towards the same sex, and often times yes, I wanted to die, and felt that I should not live if this was how I was meant to be. Now to me, I cannot understand how ANYBODY would want this for themselves? Why would I choose to be mistreated or outcast by society? At age 18 I moved out on my own, and found the internet- where I found a chat room for gay men. I was so surprised that there were other people just discussing their lives, and it was ok to be gay. I then found a local chat room, where I could meet gays near me, and I was blown ( LOL sounds bad) away- I had no idea that the place I moved to (a city of about 500k people) had any gay life at all! So I started to make friends, and I was so embarrased to meet these people, as I didn't want anybody that I knew to see me. A couple years later I met a man that I fell in love with, and we shared our lives for a while before ending our relationship- but man what an eye opening experience- to see that I am capable of being happy with a man? I am capable of being loved? WOW! I had always had female friends that had feelings for me, and for any str8 man I could have married a few of them, as we were that close, but I never felt a connection like I have with a boyfriend.
    So anyways, enough of my personal stuff, I am sure nobody here cares, but moreover I don't understand why people of any religion feel that it is their duty to enforce the word of God? If there truely is a God, and I am going to hell for being a great citizen of the United States, paying taxes, helping in the community etc- then so be it! But why do you have the right to tell me? Are you God? You can think what you want- you have every right to, but don't try and stop me from loving somebody, and sharing my life with them.
    And I know why you assume it's all about sex- because if we weren't having sex, we would be "roomates", or close friends, as soon as we have intercourse- it turns into a "lifestyle". With all the issues of the world, and the high divorce rate, the number of battered women, molested children, kidnapped children, why is everybody trying to make it illegal for me to love someone? A human being, not an animal or any sort of object... And raising children, I personally do not wish to have kids, just not for me, but I see nothing wrong with a child having a loving, supporting home. How many homes are disfunctional in reality? HMM?? yet the gays are weak, so let's beat them up over it.
    Also the issue of how many people are gay? When's the last time you have been on a gay dating website, or chat room? Have you seen how many people post "married but looking..." "while the wife is out of town", so yes, I do believe that the numbers are HIGHLY inaccurate. And being that I am not afemminate in any shape, you wouldn't even guess that I am gay if you met me, and I don't know that I would fill out a survey to a stranger that I am, simply because I hate being judged!
    I have written enough I am sure to get my point accross, and I just would like those to seriously stop and think for one moment- If you are str8 and married-
    Imagine that your wife or husband was critically injured in an accident, and dying at the hospital, and requesting that they call you- oh, whoops, sorry you can't see them... Are you family? Nope! "But but but we love eachother, we have been together for 30 years" I am sorry, family only, no roomates or friends.
    Or imagine not being able to walk down the street showing affection, and people picking on you because you love someone... just think for a moment. I know that none of this will sway anyone's thinking, but just realize, for me, being gay was not a choice! And one more thing. Parades, and gay areas of town, I don't know that I could ever live on a "gay street", but why is it fun to visit? Because for once you can relax, you can breathe... No one is going to yell out or push you around etc etc, you can feel free to feel accepted, well that is until some gay basher drives by and yells out his windown, or does a drive by shooting... "
    ***************************************************************************************

PORTRAY GAYS AS VICTIMS, NOT AS AGGRESSIVE CHALLENGERS.

In any campaign to win over the public, gays must be cast as victims in need of protection so that straights will be inclined by reflex to assume the role of protector. If gays are presented, instead, as a strong and prideful tribe promoting a rigidly nonconformist and deviant lifestyle, they are more likely to be seen as a public menace that justifies resistance and oppression. For that reason, we must forego the temptation to strut our "gay pride" publicly when it conflicts with the Gay Victim image. And we must walk the fine line between impressing straights with our great numbers, on the one hand, and sparking their hostile paranoia-"They are all around us!"--on the other.

A media campaign to promote the Gay Victim image should make use of symbols which reduce the mainstream's sense of threat, which lower it's guard, and which enhance the plausibility of victimization.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever....99.99998% then. This line of discussion is irrelevant in any practical sense to the discussion at hand.