1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parents Protest Gay Fairytale for 2nd Graders...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 20, 2006.

1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

priusguy04:

please don't post all that stuff without citing your source(s)

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 26 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]245794[/snapback]</div>
    Exhibit A: Items that can easily be construed as discriminative against Christian believers/religion:

Exhibit B: Reciprocating childish insults

:rolleyes:

SPIN AWAY!

Edit: I'm out of this Bob, it's turning too ugly... You know I don't hate gay people, I just totally disagree with the 2nd grade issue.

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  4. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Mystery Squid accused me of discriminating against Chrstians/religious people. I told him that was bullshit, and asked him to prove it. He replied:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 26 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]245816[/snapback]</div>
    and included a list of things that I have said in various comments in this thread:

Absolutely none of the above is discrimination. Heated remarks, sarcastic, negative, sure... but how was any of it remotely discriminatory? Was windstrings banned from the forum? Did he lose his job? Did he lose his house? Did he lose his rights as a spouse? Was he barred from a hospital visit? Was he silenced from being able to speak his mind? No! No discrimination took place.

I'm talking about real discrimination, the kind that gay people face every day in this country.

Again, Squid, I demand an apology.

Squid goes on to allege that I was engaging in childish insults:

and lists these statements as evidence:

1. "Have you stopped beating your wife yet" is a standard response to show a particular type of logical fallacy in which the original poster I was replying to was engaging. It is in common usage. See: http://www.fallacyfiles.org/loadques.html

2. Windstrings did, in fact, ask if I and my partner wished to have sex in front of others, including children. My coarse reply to him is not in fact an insult. If you strike someone rhetorically, are they not allowed to strike back?

3. "You sure seem to obsess about it, though... talked to anyone about that". Not an insult. It would only be an insult if you believed there was anything wrong with being gay. Further, history has shown that a good many of the loudest homophobes have later been exposed as closet cases, so the question is legitimate to ask.

4. "where do the little voices in your head come from anyway?" was in direct response to Windstrings assertion that there are little voices in our head caused by spirits. Why is it an insult to question him on this?

I don't need to spin... the truth is on my side. I'm saddened that you think I'm the villain here, but I'm not surprised.

Oh, and apology still demanded.

Which is an infathomable contradiction since you say you don't hate people, yet somehow our very existence shouldn't be "exposed" to 2nd graders. With friends like these...

5. dsunman

dsunman New Member

I'm not surprised that Squidly just diverted, that's his schtick! :blink:

I don't recall him ever admitting anything that could even with THE most miniscule reference indicate error on his part.
    That's just beyond his self-loving personality.

'Squidly' re-visited on monthly bases.

:)

6. Deaden

Deaden New Member

I still have yet to see the Bible quoting crowd defend the letter posted earlier pointing out all the crazy stuff from the bible. I'd love to see the explanation.

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 26 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]245835[/snapback]</div>
    BS Bob... You can try and split the hairs of discrimination anyway you want, any reasonable person could easily see that as discriminatory, and it IS discriminatory. You wreak of the very hatred you accuse others casting onto you, you don't need to spell it out in writing, just as ardent anti-homosexuals will likely never explicity state (whether verbally or in writing) they are, in fact, anti-homosexual bigots.

Perhaps if you were more level headed, firm, above childish retalitory attacks, and didn't wreak of discrminatory hatred, THAT would have been far more impressive.

I feel absolutely 0 need to offer an apology for my accusation, and stand firmly by it.

FWIW, once again, you and a bunch of people on here, ASSUME lack of exposure somehow equates to prejudice and hatred. It's THIS very sort of IN YOUR FACE mechanism that really hinders your cause. Newsflash!!!!!: Believe it or not, but there are plenty of 2nd graders whom have grown up NOT to be (insert minority here) bigots in the absence of exposure. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Deaden @ Apr 26 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]245865[/snapback]</div>
    No, no, no. You don't understand. All of those things were taken out of context and can't be trusted in the modern world. The anti-gay stuff is different. It's because. . . ummmm. . . it's against homosexuality . . . yeah. . . that's the ticket.

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dsunman @ Apr 26 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]245849[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, whadddya know, there's a real GENIUS here!

:lol:

10. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 26 2006, 09:59 PM) [snapback]245871[/snapback]</div>
    I knew it :lol: that you'd come back as USUALLY with ZERO admittance to anything... :lol:

not only with ZERO cohesion but also...what? :blink:

burp and belch...meister schtick :blink:

kvetch :lol:

11. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 26 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]245869[/snapback]</div>
    You have absolutely zero evidence for your accusation. You accused me of discrimination. Do I have to quote the dictionary to you?

Once again for the nth time I will restate: I have never discriminated against or advocated discriminating against Christians/religious people. I have shown countless examples of how gay people are routinely discriminated against, and yet I have never stated that such means of discrimination should be used against religious people.

I don't care about insults. Insults do not equal discrimination. Not by a long shot.

I don't want to insult you (you seem to be sensitive to that) but from this end it appears that you are being deliberately dense.

If it was a simple matter of a "lack" of exposure, there would not be a problem.

It is the fact that people are having a snit over the fact that there WAS exposure, and that people try to implement BANS on exposure.

Do you see the difference? Do you?

"IN YOUR FACE", especially when presented in all-caps as you have done here, would tend to evoke images of shouting, finger pointing, heated discussion. All that happened was that a simple children's book which showed a same-sex couple (which is legal in Massachusetts, not to mention all of Canada) and had a happy ending. The "IN YOUR FACE" crap happened AFTER the book was read, when ignorant parents flipped out about it.

I'm waiting for the new information... did you forget to provide it?

And there are plenty that do.

You have yet again ignored the numerous times in this thread when multiple people have informed you that 2nd-grade-aged kids already are aware of words like "gay" and "fag" and the negative stereotypes that go along with those words.

You want to prohibit any neutral or positive "exposure".

You are hung up on gay == sexual activity, when it is not all about that.

I'm quite serious about demanding an apology. I've spent years of my life fighting against bigotry and discrimination, and you have repeatedly accused me of it in a public forum. Don't toss around sentences you of mine that you feel were insulting or crass, plucked out of the middle of a heated argument, show me actual discrimination.

- Bob R.

12. SirGreen

SirGreen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 25 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]245043[/snapback]</div>
    It seems to be evident that this great United States went down hill when women got the right to vote.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 25 2006, 04:44 PM) [snapback]245043[/snapback]</div>
    It seems to be evident that this great United States went down hill when women got the right to vote.

13. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirGreen @ Apr 26 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]245899[/snapback]</div>
    True colors revealed again. First Windstrings, now you.

It's not a big leap from homophobia to misogyny.

- Bob R.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirGreen @ Apr 26 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]245899[/snapback]</div>
    Thank goodness for the voice of reason...
    Thank goodness for the voice of reason...

excuse me while I beat my wife for having the nerve to vote in our last local election. :rolleyes:

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I came across this quote today and I thought it was a very nice commentary on this thread:

"At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas."
    - Aldous Huxley

16. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 26 2006, 10:17 PM) [snapback]245881[/snapback]</div>
    I'm calling it.

I've stated my viewpoints (repeatedly), my reasons, my accusations, and backed them up accordingly. I feel no need to reiterate or apologize for anything.

17. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirGreen @ Apr 26 2006, 10:43 PM) [snapback]245899[/snapback]</div>
    is this suppose to be the joke as I may laugh :lol: , otherwise I advise you seeking a VERY good shrink... :(

what's next, advocating that abolition of slavery brought the prosperity down in the USA. :blink:

18. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks, doc, for being a wonderful voice of reason...

19. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 26 2006, 10:59 PM) [snapback]245910[/snapback]</div>
    Squidly, this may require re-reding what Bob R said at least 100 times before you get it! ;)

How about some herbal concoction for concentration :)

Take a deep breath, and re-read :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 26 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]245907[/snapback]</div>
    good one and how appropriate :)

'Brave New World'

20. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 20 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]242685[/snapback]</div>
    Oh my word...I love how people quote the Bible, but neglect to quote Jesus...and it's ALWAYS from the freaky religious right. If you're gonna throw around scripture, why don't you throw around ones like these:

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.â€

You probably think folks in N.O. deserved the hurricane because you perceived it as a city of godlessness...Sodom and Gomorrah. What a joke. The old testament is a great collection of stories, but don't start telling me (as a female) that I can't "adorn myself" or "speak to the lord" when in his house. And don't start saying that slavery is great!

How 'bout preaching the love that JC was all about? It's no wonder people are leaving "the church" in record numbers. It's not because of the evil in the world; it's because of the evil in the church.