1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parents Protest Gay Fairytale for 2nd Graders...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Apr 20, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 24 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]244475[/snapback]</div>

Again, parental input is important and clearly this is a subject that is still controversial.

But, as far as your child being "exposed to alternative lifestyles", you better keep him locked up in his room with no TV and no computer...and you'd best shutter the windows too. He will be or already has been "exposed". Your challenge is in teaching him how to assimilate that exposure.

If you wish to make him closed minded and prejudice you point out the 'fags' and tell him how sick and wrong and against God it is. Your influence will likely lead him to believe that is true far into high school, college, or even into adulthood.

If, otoh, you want to allow him to make his own judgements then you must find alternative means of explaining what he's observing so as to minimize the negative influence while also not 'promoting' it.

That choice is yours...and should stay yours, but a simple child's book like the one in question isn't going to make any kid gay, but it might just make the world a little more of a peaceful and understanding place.

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    'larkinmj' ~

Hey thats one of those cool generator windmills in your avatar..?..
    where was the pic taken? Im wondering if they are using it to power the building in the background.. :)

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Apr 24 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]244477[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not the one firing this on am I? It's those that take the initiative to "slam" others that keep things going. If you note, I've never actually started any flame war, I merely reacted to someone else's pro-activity... Basically, not my fault if y'all can't keep your mouths shut! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 24 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]244475[/snapback]</div>
    As often, I'm in full agreement with Malorn!

:D

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 24 2006, 01:26 AM) [snapback]244166[/snapback]</div>
    I think people take the bible and use certain verses out of context and use it so that it best siuts them selves at the moment.... As usual they only see what they want to see...

Also I agree with malorn, there is an age that children are be exposed to this stuff its in "public" middle school "sexual education class" that covers this and many other topics.. In my opinion K-4th grade is too early an age heck most kids aren't even thinking about sex at that age muchless hitting puberty.. Well there are the 12-15 yr old girls that are having buddy sex but that would be another thread.... lol

P.S. Bob1r~
    No offence dude just pokin at cha a little, as I have said before I know several homosexuals and I get along with them great! (disclaimer: they just know im not into their scene).

[​IMG]

5. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 24 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]244479[/snapback]</div>
    That's actually EXTREMELY insulting.

To insinuate this is how Malorn would raise his kid in the absence of some degree of exposure to alternate lifestyles?????

That's the kind of statement that would make me get up and deck someone.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 24 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]244490[/snapback]</div>

LOL you kill me, I'm insulting... pot/kettle.

I didn't insinuate. I gave both alternatives of how to present the information and I gave them equal weight and I have no idea how Malorn would choose to raise his child and I wouldn't presume to tell him. His choice...he can choose to raise a bigot or not.

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 24 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]244479[/snapback]</div>
    One child book is not going to make the difference, but I doubt if someone has the will to read a "childbook" like that they will stop at one.

8. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 24 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]244494[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, ok, great choices... If he doesn't expose his kid to this, then let's just default to bigotry eh?

:lol:

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 24 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]244494[/snapback]</div>
    That thinking infuriates me. I choose not to expose my 7-year old son to homosexuality so I'm a bigot? How the hell do you figure that?

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 24 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]244497[/snapback]</div>
    Why are you choosing to not "expose" your child to homosexuality? Presumably because you think there's something wrong with it, right? Or do you not want your child being "exposed" to any interpersonal not-strictly-platonic relationships? Many people would claim that making the distinction between homosexual and heterosexual relationships is bigotry or, at the very least, prejudice.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 24 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]244497[/snapback]</div>

I didn't say that at all... Geez Malorn and MS, go back and read...all the words (I know that's hard for you MS, at least malorn quoted my entire text and addressed each point individually--even if he took some of what I said not as I intended.).

Malorn, you are the one who said you didn't want your child "exposed to alternative lifestyles", then, in the next post, you said that you wife's family has homosexuals...so, clearly they are exposed, perhaps that very book would be a good way to help that 7 y/o assimilate what he's seeing with your wife's homosexual relatives.

I did not imply that you were a bigot, only that how you choose to represent the facts of homosexuality will determine whether he becomes one or not...to a large degree.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 24 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]244504[/snapback]</div>
    Again, my wifes family has a number of gays, I have never not exposed any of my kids to them. There is a huge difference in experiencing gay family members in a family setting and having a public school teacher reading a book promoting marriage between two men. If you want to paint me into a "bigot" or "prejudiced" corner so be it. Eventually that will backfire on the gay-rights movement.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 24 2006, 05:23 PM) [snapback]244508[/snapback]</div>
    My "facts" about homosexuality do not paint a very good picture and I have to admit play a part in the way i feel about the whole issue. I think there are those that are born gay and there are those that are not but become "gay" for a number of different reasons. Again I will offend many on here with that statement but it is what I really believe.

13. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 24 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]244508[/snapback]</div>
    No, no, cut the BS...

Doc, your spin machine can now be called a centrifuge :lol: . It was in writing and it was clear. If he didn't expose, the default was/is bigotry.

If you don't want anyone taking things the wrong way, that's your failure as a writer, which, to some degree, can be understood as this is just a message board, and things are often written quickly.

...and FWIW, the pot/kettle thing?

I've stood by this all along: I've never insulted anyone without being provoked. Ever.

;)

14. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

Not being a father but having worked in the school system...

...I can remember the times when I was young and my parents told me that I would be married one day. My only response was:ICK!!!!

Certainly there are times when such things must be explained to kids, but I suspect that this would have to be done on a kid-by-kid basis rather than then entire bunch. Let them be kids for a while, not caring about male/female stuff. That comes soon enough.

15. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 24 2006, 06:18 PM) [snapback]244504[/snapback]</div>
    See, this is they type of "in your face" concept the homosexuality community does so well (xref. the article about the same sex parents making a "statement" at the White House on Easter Sunday).

The issue shouldn't even HAVE to be raised.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT HOMOSEXUALS ANY MORE OR LESS THAN ANYONE ELSE!!! WE ALL KNOW THEY EXIST!!! I DO NOT HATE THEM, NOR DO I HAVE ANY SORT OF PREJUDICE TOWARDS THEM, I JUST DON'T F'IN CARE IF YOU'RE A HOMOSEXUAL, JUST DON'T KEEP SHOVING THE CONCEPT DOWN MY THROAT!!!! DO I LIKE IT? NO, I DON'T CARE FOR IT. DO I LIKE SEAFOOD? NO. DO I HATE EVERYONE THAT LIKES SEAFOOD? NO.

There.

:D

16. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 24 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]244552[/snapback]</div>
    Chicken and egg? (Easter bunny and egg?) The gay community was silent for decades about the rampant prejudice and anti-gay discrimination in our society.

Pres. Bush wants to enshrine discrimination in the Constitution, specifically against gay people, by creating marriage prohibition nationwide.

Until as recently as 2003, in some states gay people could be imprisoned simply for being caught in bed with their partner in the privacy of their own home. (See Lawrence vs. Texas)

I suppose Rosa Parks was just being "in your face" and should have remembered her place.

On this point we agree. We shouldn't HAVE to stand up and fight a constant battle to achieve equality, it should just exist. Until then, we'll keep fighting, and after then, hopefully we will be eternally vigilant.

Sure you do, that is quite evident.

You started this discussion. Your name is attached to the thread. If you can't stand the uppity queers, get out of the kitchen.

There are no laws in this country preventing seafood lovers from consuming seafood or, for that matter, getting married. There are no businesses in this country arguing that they should be free to fire anyone for revealing that they like seafood. There are no organized religious groups (even though some religions forbid some types of seafood) demanding that the existence of seafood not be mentioned in elementary school.

Speaking of marriage, it is interesting to me that in this country, terrorists can get married, rapists can get married (or stay married to their victims), people who have no intention of ever having children can get married, child molesters can get married (even to their victims, as has recently been in the news), anybody can get married. Except gay people, no matter what harm their families may suffer as a result, the idea of gay people getting married is somehow a threat on a national scale.

OK, Squid, so you "don't care" about gay people... fine, then, get out of the way. All we want is equality under the law. For ourselves, our partners, our children.

If gay people are always "in your face" you're hanging out in the wrong clubs.

- Bob R.

17. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 24 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]244475[/snapback]</div>
    Guess what- your son is going to be "exposed" to "alternative lifestyles", whether or not you approve. One of my daughters who is now in the 4th grade has a classmate that has two mothers. I'm sure that's true of many of the parents in this group. We have taught our children from the earliest age to respect everyone, regardless of how they may differ from you, and we explained to them early on (without getting graphic about it, of course) that some people prefer to be with those of their own gender.
    The purpose of reading books such as that in elementary school is not to teach children about "alternative lifestyles" (and I think that is a terrible expression for sexuality, as it implies that gay people choose to be gay the way that I might choose to live by the water and go to the beach every day.) Nor is it to make value judgements on sexuality, as that is the parents' role. The point is to make the children aware that they have to respect differences, and treat other children with respect- something that, unfortunately, is not always taught at home (I was shocked to hear from my daughters, when they were in preschool, that other children used the term "gay" as an insult.)
    Perhaps if you know that suicide was the 3rd leading cause of death of 15 to 24 year olds, and that a study by the US government determined that LGBT youth are two to three times as likely to commit suicide as their straight peers, you might be a bit more accepting of the schools' efforts to teach tolerance.

18. dsunman

dsunman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 24 2006, 08:28 PM) [snapback]244586[/snapback]</div>
    LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob, thanks again for culminating the day that spurred a maxim of laughter. :)

Squidly, where do you live in Mass, Provincetown?

How many times a day you're being hit on? Be honest tell us. Or perhaps you haven't come out yet? :lol:

Is there someone in your family that proclaims that will shoot anyone in the family for being gay? :(

Btw, I suggest you follow something that is called progress in human social discourse, don't become some old stubborn old fart. ;)

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Apr 24 2006, 08:28 PM) [snapback]244586[/snapback]</div>
    Judging from the responces there are several openly liberal gay, Bi, Closeted & lesbian people here.?. :mellow:
    [​IMG]

Bob~
    There I edited the two locations I missed thanks for noticing I wouldnt want you to take all the credit.. :lol:

20. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Priusguy04 -

It would be most helpful if you could practice a bit and learn how the quoting feature works in this forum. In your comment above, you have interspersed your words into the middle of my sentences, and you have failed to color-code this in a couple of places, making it look like your words are my words.

It is very difficult to follow, and also incorrectly implies that I said things which I did not.

- Bob R.