1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paris Agreement would have reduced T by 0.17 degrees

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by mojo, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm a bit surprised at this coming from you.
    The manufacture of EVERYTHING requires energy input.
    In most cases that energy does NOT come from renewable sources so the end product's energy savings needs to be offset just a little because of the fossil energy used to make it........if you want to be precisely correct.

NOW......in many cases, I think that is brought up just for arguements sake because the energy used to create the energy saving product usually is pretty insignificant.

Something as obvious as that shouldn't have to have a source quoted........for most people. ;)

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No problem, you don't have a source so it doesn't exist.

Bob Wilson

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Really ??
    I don't remember you being such a prick in the past.
    Are you having a bad day ??

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #44 fuzzy1, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wouldn't be the first time/place.......nor probably the last either.

6. rogers32

rogers32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget the total energy used from the transportation of raw materials to the final product delivery, also the pollution caused by manufacturing in countries where they ignore the types of precautions taken in the USA. Maybe we should also consider the energy used by the total work force involved in the production of every item before we deem it green.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For energy efficiency items, don't forget to include a comparison of the energy saved from the avoided transportation of the fuels needed to run the device.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I want less mercury in my fish@33. As well you might. After stating that mercury (Hg) has no direct connection with Paris agreement we can continue.

Before humans started nibbling into earth's crust, mercury was little involved in biological cycles. Good thing too because it is quite an unfriendly element. But then of course there was nibbling and mercury was brought to the fore.

Before I go on, has anyone not had the joy of playing with this only liquid metal?

It has unique, valuable uses including several touches with gold. It gets hauled up unintentionally with coal, with sulfur as intermediate player. Wiki page

Mercury (element) - Wikipedia

suggests nibbling increased mercury cycling sixfold, but accurate global accounting remains unknown.

There are two important biological aspects after mercury is 'liberated'. One is bioconcentration; relating to food fish that are top predators. Other is biocycling in low-oxygen sediments (mud, sludge) whence mercury will keep coming back up and no human agency can stop that.

We nibbled and liberated, and now much more mercury is biocycling. We'd not want to ingest because it makes our brains go wrong. So, simply put, some aquatic top predators may just be off the menu, to some degree, for a time that cannot be known.Longer than your lifespan would be a fair guess.

It cannot be undone. We might only choose to make it not worse, by not 'ventilating' a whole lot more coal. Small-secondarily, by not involving mercury in future gold extraction. That extraction will happen because dang, we love gold.

For all that, the largest coal problem is not mercury. It is that coal burning produces small aerosols (PM2.5) that are expensive to not emit. Those are somewhat effective in shortening human lifespan. For all that, any Paris thing against coal is simply energy produced divided by CO2 released. Coal is not efficient.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, where is your source?

An Internet posting has no credibility without some source material. After all, you're not @mojo, we think.

Bob Wilson

10. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When have I not provided a citation? You are liar BOB.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Getting a little thin skinned @mojo? Facts are you simply cut-and-paste without understanding from your usual sources. The @mojo pattern is to fail to follow-up with any understanding of the obvious flaws in the Internet scrapped nonsense. Still, let's use the 'way back' machine:
    It is simply a case of @Sam Spade doesn't follow your practice of citing misleading sources from the 'usual suspects.' His contrast is to make some assertion without referencing who led him to state nonsense.

In contrast, you find nonsense and cite it freely without follow-up. Two sides of the same Janus coin and neither works ... shooting fish in a barrel comes to mind.

Bob Wilson

12. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Damn it Bob.
    Source for WHAT exactly ??
    IIRC your first confrontational reply in this thread did not specify......and neither have any of the subsequent ones.
    I refuse to play your silly game.

P.S. Sometimes assertions backed up with sources are even more misleading and untrue than simple personal opinions.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Apparently @Sam Spade shows he is too lazy to review the thread. As a hint, the "Search" function works on keywords, usernames, and can even limit to a specific thread. For example:

1. Post
      No problem, you don't have a source so it doesn't exist. Bob Wilson
      Post by: bwilson4web, Yesterday at 2:18 PM in forum: Environmental Discussion
    2. [​IMG]
      Ok, where is your source? An Internet posting has no credibility without some source material. After all, you're not @mojo, we think. Bob Wilson
      Post by: bwilson4web, Today at 2:30 AM in forum: Environmental Discussion
    3. [​IMG]
      ...are you simply cut-and-paste without understanding from your usual sources. The @mojo pattern is to fail to follow-up with any understanding of...
      Post by: bwilson4web, 54 minutes ago in forum: Environmental Discussion
    4. [​IMG]
      Sounds quite reasonable but lacks a source: Before looking, my understanding is they crush 'sweet violets, sweeter than all the daisies, covered...
      Post by: bwilson4web, Yesterday at 10:03 AM in forum: Environmental Discussion
    5. [​IMG]
      ...into his 'work.' A more effective technique is to cite empirical sources. For example: Trump just cemented his legacy as America’s worst-ever...
      Post by: bwilson4web, Tuesday at 10:24 AM in forum: Environmental Discussion

Furthermore, @Sam Spade still claims 'simple personal opinions' is accurate. Ok, sure reads like the other side of @mojo who cuts-and-pastes without understanding or apparently even reading the whole source.

Bob Wilson

14. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Regarding lifecycle emissions of CO2 (including manufacturing) for things renewable such as solar and vehicles such as plug-ins/BEVs:

[​IMG]
    NREL: Energy Analysis - Life Cycle Assessment Harmonization Results and Findings

Keep in mind that this data is a few years old and the CO2 footprint of renewables, like solar, keeps getting rapidly better:
    For every doubling of installed photovoltaic capacity, energy use decreases by 13 and 12% and greenhouse gas footprints by 17 and 24%, for poly- and monocrystalline based photovoltaic systems, respectively.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13728

[​IMG]

http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/attach/2015/11/Cleaner-Cars-from-Cradle-to-Grave-full-report.pdf

Trollbait, tochatihu and bwilson4web like this.
  15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I only have to go back ONE post to illustrate what the problem IS:
    I asked you to point out exactly what I said that requires a source reference.
    Instead of answering that question, you replied by quoting a bunch of YOUR ramblings, which contains no clue as to Wth you are talking about in the first place.

Are you REALLY that dense, or is it that you don't understand English well.......or are you just trying to cause trouble where none exists ??

Your last few posts have just wasted everybody's time. They don't even rise to the level of a good insult.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let's try the experiment, "Ignore User."

EDIT: It works! The quality of postings in this thread have significantly improved. Problem solved!

Thanks @iplug :
    I'm reminded of the old 'Dust-to-Dust' report from 2006. I'd hoped we'd moved beyond that but apparently the latest troll didn't get the memo: Exposé of the CNW Marketing Research "Dust to Dust" study

If past is prolog, he'll have disappeared soon enough. The old adage, "Don't feed the troll" applies.

Bob Wilson

#56 bwilson4web, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  17. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wasn't the tomb of Qin Shi Huang, China's first Qin emperor, surrounded by a moat of mercury? Mercury has been used for millennia and poisoning people.

tochatihu likes this.
  18. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Bob you truly are a bold faced liar.
    Im recently mostly posting references to "peer reviewed" studies published in scientific journals.
    Get a grip on reality.

#58 mojo, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Mercury has been used for millennia@57. Yes. Small-scale use is absolutely use. Yet it was later, large scale use that got mercury broadly distributed 'on top' From where microbes could redistribute it freely.

Main ore of mercury, cinnabar, HgS, has unusual bright red color. Would get noticed at any surface exposure. Would get powdered for red paint. Put that stuff in fire and wow, liquid metal.

Attractive, user-friendly and dangerous. Neolithic trifecta.

20. rogers32

rogers32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did not forget.My point was when calculating the efficiency of a "green" product, to take everything involved into consideration for that particular product's efficiency calculation. Even the energy used by the workforce to get to work, eat, and maintain themselves. That would a hell of a mathematical effort. I would agree though that that should be included in the calculation also.