1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paris Hilton goes to jail.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, May 4, 2007.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ May 7 2007, 12:27 AM) [snapback]436672[/snapback]</div>
    With Paris Hilton in jail, who will the media obsess with to distract us from thinking about frivolous matters such as Iraq, global warming, the U.S. attorney firings, etc.?

2. toyotablackbox

toyotablackbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am divided for the following reasons:
    A) Paris's SLR McLaren gets terrible mileage.
    B) Would I want Paris to drive a Prius? Yes for the earth, no for the high likeliness of her crashing it... crash the Benz...

But there is NO excuse for reckless indangerment of others by drinking and driving!!! Even if my best friend did it I would rather them hang instead of risking the lives of the people I love. There is no excuse, she could have hurt somebody. I hope she is guillotined...

3. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Paris Hilton goes to jail :) - What 's the big deal? :ph34r:

Maybe the judge was making a point that there is no different justise for OJ's and NOJ's .

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ May 6 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]436475[/snapback]</div>
    Paris is not that stupid; it is an act. While I usually don't have a lot of respect for "trust fund babies", she is enriching herself by working in television and keeping her name in front of the tabloids through antics that should be simply ignored. In short, she is manipulating us.

The diary farmers that hosted her and Nicole on the second season of their show said they had to have the production company come up with buckets and three-legged stools for the girls to milk cows; they don't do it that way any more. But the script called for them to be tugging on the cow's teats, and that's what they had to do. Most reality shows are heavily scripted.

Still, its mostly in good fun, and there's no reason to harbor any ill will toward the entertainers. We can turn the channel any time we like. It doesn't enrich me in any way to see someone more powerful, richer or more privileged than me go to jail.

There's always the chance that it will change her life, like it did for Charles Colson. But I suspect that's a long shot.

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyotablackbox @ May 7 2007, 01:15 AM) [snapback]436684[/snapback]</div>
    Although, if there were photos of her and Britney without underwear in a Prius all over the internet, it might help promote the vehicle? :blink:

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 7 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]436796[/snapback]</div>
    Naaa Paris's other car is a hummer... Shes got to have the extra play room. ;)

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 6 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]436425[/snapback]</div>
    Only if that were the penalty for anyone who committed the same crime.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ May 6 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]436671[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

I would not expect her to have a chaufered Prius, but with her license revoked, she certainly could have taken a taxi or hired a driver for the car she's got.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toyotablackbox @ May 6 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]436684[/snapback]</div>
    Whew! That's pretty extreme. I favor harsh penalties for drunk driving, but hanging or guillotining is going too far.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 6 2007, 10:29 PM) [snapback]436690[/snapback]</div>
    Jail was a very positive experience for me. Her sentence is a short one and will pass quickly. She'll have a chance to learn something of the life poor folks lead, in a country where money is god and the only real crime is being poor.

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm thinking of a TV show where someone gets their wish but it backfires.

You have a very plain-looking woman that no guy dates. Then she has a radical makeover and is stunningly beatiful - but she looks like Paris Hilton's twin. :p

9. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 7 2007, 12:29 AM) [snapback]436690[/snapback]</div>
    Chuck Colson became a Christian. That's what changed him.

10. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 5 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]436007[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel is really Dick Cheney. Wow, I suspected it for a while now...

11. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 7 2007, 12:34 PM) [snapback]436941[/snapback]</div>
    No, Cheney says "If being pursued by the police, I will not run. If convicted, I will not serve."

12. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 7 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]436796[/snapback]</div>
    Anyone looking at those pictures is not thinking about autos. Some things never change.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 7 2007, 12:13 PM) [snapback]436883[/snapback]</div>
    Jail was a pos. exp.? What did you do to end up in jail? You hardly seem the type. I worked in jails and a couple of prisons. Nobody I ever met wanted to be in one and couldn't wait to get out.

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ May 6 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]436475[/snapback]</div>
    I think it is you, my friend, who are being manipulated. Do you *really* believe ther naivete about Walmart to be genuine? You're joking, right?!?

Also, while she may not have "said anything bad" about anyone else, her actions clearly tell another story...drinking and driving (let alone showing up to court late, etc.) don't really make me feel like she's respecting my rights as a motorist, let alone a person...let alone, a citizen.

So you're feeling like this sort of behaviour is okay if you're born into wealth, have lots of plastic surgery (what's up with that nose, anyway?) and are willing to debase yourself to whatever degree is necessary to achieve notoriety?

Again, I can't believe this to be true.

14. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 5 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]435900[/snapback]</div>
    No joy in it for me. I don't think she's "better" than anyone - certainly richer, but not by any effort of her own. Anyone can inherit money. I think she's smart, as she is certainly able to market herself and keep herself in the public's eye (which in itself says something very sad about the "public") while not actually contributing anything to society (that I can tell).
    I think she should be held to the same standard as anyone else and not be given any special treatment, neither less nor more. I understand the idea of separating her from the general populace in theory, but if it was my daughter who did the same thing and got thrown in gen pop and Paris got special treatment (like being separated from those dangers), I'd be screaming FOUL!

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ May 7 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]436971[/snapback]</div>
    All my jail experiences, and my six months in federal prison, were for peaceful, nonviolent protests against the nuclear weapons which infest my former home state of North Dakota. Most of my arrests were for stepping a few feet over the property line at the Air Force base, or other installations. The time I went to federal prison it was for digging a hole in the ground, a few feet deep, to symbolize the need to dig the genocidal Minuteman missiles out of the ground.

Jail and prison were positive experiences for me beause I knew that if I broke the law I'd go to jail, and I was willing to pay that price to express my opposition to WMDs. Also because, as a middle-class white boy, I found it educational to learn, not from books, but from actual experience, how my society treats the poor. It's worth noting that Paris Hilton is the rare exception: For the most part, our jails are filled with poor people, while rich people who commit the same crimes go free. Thus, for a rich or middle-class person, jail can be an educational experience, and can therefore be a positive experience if you choose to make it so. It is not comfortable. It is not fun. It is not "nice." But if you allow yourself to learn from it, you can grow as a person, and that is positive.

I was very happy to get out. But I am very glad I had the experience.

I think it unlikely that Paris would have been sentenced to jail had she not been a public figure. Rich people normally get off. But once the light of publicity is shone on the proceedings, the judge feels he has to give the impression of not being biased in favor of the rich. And showing up late certainly didn't help her case.

16. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Isn't all publicity good publicity? I suspect she wanted a bit of jail time. It's like she was asking for it. Just a hunch. But I think she ended up with more than the bargained for.

I heard the judge got a standing ovation when he walked into his church last Sunday.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ May 8 2007, 04:44 AM) [snapback]437389[/snapback]</div>
    It's official . . . 39 days in jail for Paris. That's a bit. :lol:

18. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Paris Hilton, as far as I can tell, is an arrogant self-indulgent brat. Why are we supposed to care what she says, does, or feels about her behavior? What has she contributed to society to merit the attention she gets?

19. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ May 7 2007, 09:14 AM) [snapback]436926[/snapback]</div>
    In a spiritual sense, yes, but that did not change his attitudes towards incarceration like spending time in jail did. Otherwise, all Christians would share his views (and while we all should, very few conservative Christians do).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ May 7 2007, 05:30 PM) [snapback]437227[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, she's earned quite a bit of money with her "naive trust fund baby act" in several TV shows. Anchoring a series generates quite an income, and is pretty hard work. So while her act has been successful in manipulating the public into thinking she is a ditzy blonde, she is making money the way most "ditzy blondes" did ... by working harder than most of us.

20. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 9 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]438079[/snapback]</div>
    True, no argument there. But she would never have had the opportunity to be in those shows were it not for who she was - the "Hilton Heiress". It's just that she did nothing other than being born to get where she is, imo. As far as her manipulating the public, well, I think that says more about the media and the public rather than Paris, except that she's shrewd enough to do it.