1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Park selecting 2001 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by E S, Feb 7, 2019.

1. E S

E S New Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello,

I've got a strange problem with a gen1 prius. When I set it to Park, the orange triangle comes on, and the display says "problem" with the third icon red (the red exclamation point + car). The weird thing is that the check engine (MIL) light is off. Connected a standard ODB2 reader, no codes. Tried with techstream and mini vci, nothing. If I reset the DTC the triangle disappears. After 2-3 seconds appears and the P (park) icon is no longer selected (no square border). Tried to push the car, it is blocked, so Park is engaged. If a wiggle the shifter, the P gets selected. The car drives normally. This is a card that sat for about 6 months. It has a gen 2 rebuild battery that I've already checked cell-by-cell with 1ohm load and voltmeter for about 10 seconds each (tanks to priuschat :) ), and also performed charge-discharge test with a nimh hobby charger, the HV battery seems fine. The voltage difference between weakest and stronger battery is about 0.2V (7.6V - 7.8V). The 12V battery is brand new (a week), it has 13.6 V when car is off.

I guess it could be a "shift sensor" ? Anybody knows where I can find it (is on the shifter assembly or under the hood?). This car is a hobby project, not my daily car (which is also a prius - gen3), I bought it cheap because it didn't start (it turned out that the tank was full with diesel). After 2 weeks of working on it, I have only this problem to solve.

Thanks!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are some other threads on PriusChat about the Gen 1 park linkage, which you might be able to find with a search. The park position in Gen 1 is about the only position on any Prius shifter that really involves a mechanical linkage of any kind; there's a metal cable that attaches up there, and some position sensing built into the lever assembly, and people have reported them getting out of perfect alignment, or the grommet at the cable attachment getting worn and lost, that kind of thing.

3. E S

E S New Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Checked the linkage, seems fine. However, after unbolting the two plastic panels (the one holding the OBDII port and lower part of the steering wheel), found the shift lever sensor connector. I just wiggled it and the triangle disappeared. I guess is a contact issue with the connector. I will get today some contact cleaner spray and try this first. The triangle is not gone.