1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Park Warning Screen

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mikefocke, Aug 7, 2017.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In the middle of a trip on a hot Sunday with a tight time schedule. Refuel. Pull quickly into a parking space. I had let my wife do her pit stop first and I guess I was in a hurry. Fumbled the sequence for shutting off the car and the park didn't take. Then put the parking brake on.

Did my business, came out and hit the start button and my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Every warning light was on. Complete with a rectangular screen on the right telling me that I should park on a flat spot and put the parking brake on. Well duhh. Got out the owners manual and all it did was repeat that. Played with every park and stop sequence and parking brake sequence I could think of. Called Toyota Service hoping they could tell me a button pushing sequence that would get me to a long time friend's memorial service. I'm in the boonies 120 miles away and time is important. No help there but they will arrange a tow to the nearest dealer. Closed. It is Sunday. ~$140 quote to tow. No obvious motels. No car rental places for 30 miles. What choice. Yea, call the tow truck. More interested in getting my credit cars and getting me to provide feedback than having a script to help with that message.

Tow guys show up. I give them my key. Explain what happened and that it will have to be flat bedded. One gets in the car after my explanation, other pushes the front of the car. Don't know if the guy inside was fiddling with any buttons or not. All of a sudden the car moves a bit. I get in, start the car, think all is good. Thank them. They drive off. Then I get in to start the trip again and realize they took my key. A well, they had called me and I called them when they were two blocks away. Snaged the key and completed the trip. Made it in time.

To Toyota Service's credit they followed up with text, email and phone calls asking if the tow had been done.

But a warning...don't fumble the parking sequence just because you are in a hurry.

Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny story! glad it worked out. those warnings are terrible. usually, it's a door ajar or something stupid.

3. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Quote: "I guess I was in a hurry. Fumbled the sequence for shutting off the car and the park didn't take. Then put the parking brake on."

What sequence.
    Everyone here says to just press the Power button off.... which automatically puts it in park.
    Done.
    Most of these guys don't even use the parking brake.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is possible to confuse these computers, must be a bug.

5. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

CoastRider -
    I guess you could call me "SpaceCoastRider" as an Alt-User Name. There may not "Technically" be a "Sequence." But, if you include me, not "Everyone here says to just press the Power button off."

My personal practice, which began in 2006 when I purchased and started piloting a 2007 GEN 2 Prius, is:
    1. STOP.
    2. PRESS "PARK" BUTTON.
    3. PRESS "POWER OFF" BUTTON.
    4. DONE.

Here in flat beachside/oceanside Florida, I never use or engage the Foot ActivatedParking Brake.

Sooner Al likes this.
  6. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Same here...

7. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I wonder if parking prawl failed to completely enage. My clue was when towing pushed front of car a bit.

8. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    That was my guess or engaged in a way that didn't allow it to retract. I had actually tried the push before I called Toyota but I didn't try as hard and there was no one in the car simultaneously playing with the buttons.

9. icyrius

icyrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My son used to push the foot brake all the way to the bottom all the time. One day after my son had used my car the previous night, the next day I tried to reverse after starting my car and the car would not move. Tried moving forward and no luck. The car felt like it was locked. I was starting to freak when I decided to put it in reverse one more time and accelerated the car. I heard a loud sound coming from the vehicle's rear tires. It seems like the foot breaks would not let go after relasing them. Right after that the car worked fine and have not experienced any issues. I just keep reminding him not to press the foot brakes all the way down. Maybe something similar to this happened to you.

10. icyrius

icyrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

11. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Looking back on the incident, I wonder if I didn't try and put it in park when I was still rolling. Neither of the brakes (foot or park) being on. As I said it was a bit of a rush and I'm sure I bollixed it. No incidents in the thousand miles since.

12. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Second occurrence tonight. Wife said I don't ever want to ride in this car again. Go buy something normal.

Interested in what dealer service 2 miles away will tell me tomorrow.

13. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Did notice 12v down to 11+ volts but how much was that due to battery and how much was due to the warning lights being on all night. Called AAA.

Jumped it via the fuse/relay box. Practice it folks. Started right up. Drove it out of the garage and stopped it. disconnected the jumper pack. Started it. Drove to dealer. Said put in 12v battery and diagnose. Will see what happens. Drove a RAv4h while I was there. disappointing seats even in the 8-way power seat equipment. Considering a CRV Limited test just to see.

Noticed $8800 discount on a current v new on the lot. Sad to see the discontinued model priced like that. Loved mine, was the most useful car I've ever owned and no troubles till this issue. It will be interesting to see if the battery replacement cures the problem. But do I trust it enough to make 250 and 400 mile trips in the next 6 weeks?

14. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    12v battery $184
    $15 installation and code reading to reveal nothing.

Not bad since I was going to replace it before the winter anyway. But do I trust it.

So while the dealer had the car drove a Rav4h and a CRV 1.5T. Much preferred the CRV. Honda salesman actually knew his product and was helpful. Much more adjustable seats and the interfaces seemed more logical. Hancook tires were a negative but boy was that ride quiet. 30 MPG.

Kinda disappointed how it all turned out.

Discount on the black v in front of the local Toyota dealers was now $8900, up a hundred since this AM

15. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    MikeFocke...Greeting "Caddie In A Kimono Vunder Vagon" Owner - A couple of things...

FWIW FYI: I have been an owner-driver of the 2012 v(vee5ATP) shown in my Avatar Blurb Summary, since 12/27/11. It is still running with its original OEM 12v Accessory Battery @67,900+ & counting. Doing the math, that is six (6) years on that little conventional battery with no "Hiccups" or noticeable unusual dash lights, transient flickers or hints of warning lights. I may be "Whistling In The Electrical Dark," but, at this point, I am driving my v(vee) without fear of any 12v Battery related "Funny Stuff."

I read your above, "Sad to see the discontinued model priced like that. Loved mine, was the most useful car I've ever owned and no troubles till this issue." Do you have it on reliable automotive information... not rumor... that the v(vee) "Caddie In A Kimono Vunder Vagon" will be discontinued for Model Year 2018 in North America? I have not been able to independently verify that the "v(vee) will be discontinued in North America."

I also "Love(d) mine (Pv5ATP), it is(was) the most useful (Family Limo & Stuff-Hauler) car I've ever owned, and it has had no...zed, nada, no... troubles"... I have test driven everything in the Toyota Line Up, both Hybrid & Non-Hybrid, and have found nothing with a Toyota badge that can touch my v(vee), and its whisper ops & fuel-sipping 1.8-Liter I4 powered Hybrid Synergy Drive. I looked at a "Loaded w/ All The Bells & Whistles" new 2017 Close Out Ford Fusion Hybrid Sedan on Labor Day just past. It was powered by Ford's I4 mit their Pseudo "Patent-Sharing" Hybrid Synergy Drive. It was very nice, but could not touch my Pv5ATP Family Limo & Stuff-Hauler "Station Wagon"...especially the Vee's "Vee-lumious Cargo Room, Generous Front Passenger Space & Rear Passenger Space & Limo-esque Leg Room...with the Vee-rsatility of my 2012 Pv5ATP continuing to be the bonus over other HSD-Powered Fuel-Misers.

#15 catgic, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  16. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Catgit, no authoritative source. Pure assumption based on the advertised discount.