1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parked 2 weeks and now this.. what the hell?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Beachbummm, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    parked my 08 in the garage for a few weeks and I get the following problems..
    parked with a full HV pack charge, GREEN BAR now rapidly drops to 2 purple after the car is on for 5 mins
    parked with no warning lights now CEL code P1116
    parked with no odd noises now I hear a pump cycling on and off every few seconds..
    *** found this code as well, C1256 low pressure accumulator-

new 12 volt battery,156000 miles turned on with ac off not driven to recharge pack

turned it off, pump was still cycling for about 2 mins after its off, closed the garage door and took the work truck to the store..
    Ill assume its the coolant pump going bad..
    are they still being replaced under recall?
    pretty sure the dealer will charge me $100 for a diagnostic fee.
    cheaper to change it myself if that's the problem..
    thanks

#1 Beachbummm, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I did the same thing earlier in the summer and it was a sign the HV pack was going bad. Do you have techstream to check the modules?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yes, its on my shit to do list today after cutting the lawn in 98 degree heat :(

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I hear ya'.

OK do this:

Force charge: parking brake on, brake fully applied, put car in D and floor gas pedal till pack goes to green. (you can have a/c on but it will take a tad longer)
    Drain: Car still in ready mode, move to N, crank a/c to max (ahhhhhhh, that feels good....), headlights on bright and monitor battery drain till it goes purple.

I suggest rinse, lather, repeat 2-3 times to stress things. Doing this, I saw in techstream which block was consistently underperforming, monitor fan speeds, etc.

Don Shouse and hunt251 like this.
  5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ok thanks

6. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    well my day just got a whole lot worse....
    the running pump sound seems the be the brake actuator now getting error code C1256 low pressure accumulator- along with the p1116 from before.. sensor in the thermos tank
    IDK maybe shes pissed I didn't take her to the beach last weekend...
    try to give her a few weeks off and this is the thanks I get.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    fotomoto and bisco like this.
  8. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yes I will change it..
    I remember seeing that notice and called the dealer...luckily my vin number is part of the "good will repair" BUT they still have to inspect the car Monday... hope they don't charge me for the inspection... not all cars are covered so its a little misleading.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer should waive the inspection charge if they determine the problem is covered under extended warranty. The reason for the charge is they want to be able to charge you for NTF or for providing a diagnosis when you decide to go elsewhere for the repair.

10. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    im going to tell them only fix whats covered I know they will bring up the other code I mentioned but if its just the coolant sensor I can fix that myself.. I didn't erase the codes due to the brake pump issue.. hope it makes it to the dealer safely monday

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your issue is probably not related to your HV battery but I've noticed many older 8+ year old batteries have a self discharge rate that's higher than it should be. I guess all the modules are getting old. So try not to let your car sit for 2 weeks at a time, it's like the new death sentence for a Prius.

12. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    and its been in the florida heat its whole life so that doesn't help

13. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Same scenario here. My car is 2 years older than yours but the first module failure was 2 years ago so....... keep an eye on it and like JC said, don't let it sit like that but especially during the peak heat season.

14. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Id love to get a call from the dealer Monday, OK your brake problem is covered and we found your battery to be weak, we can install a new one for $400 as a customer satisfaction service... Id be like HELL YES TAKE MY MONEY! but I doubt it will happen , the service supervisor there is a nasty woman..

15. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    **UPDATE**
    just got a ride home from the dealer, it took about two hours for their inspection (my 7am appointment wasn't in the computer) and after reviewing my account of what warning lights and how long it took for the system to build pressure and hold it they agreed to replace the parts under the warranty.. GOOD NEWS, but wait theres more!

of course they found some other brake related issues and general dealer BS like fuel injector cleaning and a brake system flush (my reply to that was don't they bleed the brakes when the change the parts, service manager says yeah I guess they have too) and new front pads ..

then they said my water pump on the gas motor was leaking I said really? I have never added coolant and theres no puddle in my drive way. intermittent head light issue passenger side replace bulb and ballast ... total invoice $1538.I just looked at him . his reply was so you only want the warranty work done? and I said yes..so it should be no charge..

does anyone have a fix for the HID problem?
    the headlight cuts out then when you turn them off and on again its OK for a while..

thanks!

16. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  17. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the dealer didn't mention any battery issues but are replacing the pump.. should have it back in the morning

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh man lucky to get that warranty work Dec_2017 expiration!

As far as HV battery going purple, I find that after sitting a week or two, if you just pull out with A/C running you quickly get into purple. The fix is to warm up car for about 3 minutes before pulling out. I also disable the SKS before letting the car sit to help the 12v stay charged.

As far as water pump, most Gen2 had water pump leaks and had the water pumps replaced. The nature of the leak is that it was slow leak so you do not see a puddle. I kept mine, and it stopped leaking. Here I am at 165k miles on orig water pump. I do check coolant level and fill with special Toyota fluid, but it never needs any top off.

19. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yes if the pump went after December Id have to take a chance on a salvage yard one.. car sure isn't worth a $2300 repair bill (or what ever the part is plus $120 an hour labor)

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The correct new engine coolant pump should cost ~$100 or so. Do not neglect checking coolant level in the RADIATOR (do not rely on looking only at the overflow reservoir.)