1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking Brake light comes on intermittently

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by scotb, Dec 16, 2022.

1. scotb

scotb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    our 2008 Prius has a parking brake light that comes on intermittently. So far I haven't found any codes but will try again next time it comes on. I did look underneath the dash and can see the sensor there and I played with the pedal and sensor a little. Maybe sensor is bad? Doesn't look too hard to replace. Based on prior threads in this forum looks like something others have experienced but I didn't see any smoking issue that is common (or at least on my first reading go around). Anyone have the part number for that parking brake sensor?

Scot
    I finally got Veepeak and Dr. Prius. I will play around with that and see what I find.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The light that says BRAKE isn't only a warning for the parking brake.

As a quick easy check, as you've been down there already, maybe just unplug the wire from that parking brake pedal switch for a while, drive around some, see if you still see the light intermittently.

3. scotb

scotb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Will do and test today. What else can BRAKE light signify?

4. scotb

scotb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Well crap, I disconnected the parking brake sensor under the dash but driving the Prius today the BRAKE light came on again for about a second then went out then came on again for about another second and then went out. So there is something that is just barely triggering the BRAKE light but then it goes away. Driving was normal and in a straight line with no bumps or anything that would suggest a connection to anything I can think of. Car was already driving great for about an hour so I don't think its anything on startup. Any suggestions?

Scot

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  6. scotb

scotb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Brake Fluid level is good. Well above minimum but I could add a little if need be. Still not able to get any codes.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dr Prius is a nice app for monitoring HV battery data. It can pull ECM (engine) and some hybrid system codes. Paid version can do a couple battery "guesstimate" tests. Not much else.

You might want to read this thread that reviews some scantool apps and devices.
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

Also you can use the search function to learn about "flash codes" - where a couple of ecu's on a Gen2 can flash their warning lights on the dashboard in a sequence that gives you a two digit trouble code (if stored).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sometimes the minimum required for safe operation is different than the minimum required for the fluid level alarm........if there IS one.
    Fill it up. If this happens when your foot is NOT on the brake, then that is a good candidate for the cause.
    If it happens when you ARE pushing the brake, then the problem likely is more complex.

THEN.....with a 14 year old vehicle, the parking brake mechanism could be corroded and sticking.
    Exercising it a bit could make it better or worse and give you an idea if THAT really is the problem or not.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There IS one.