1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking brake question:

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by John V Rosenbaum, Jan 20, 2018.

1. John V Rosenbaum

John V Rosenbaum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2014 Prius with rear drum brakes. My wife and I almost never use the parking brake. In examining the rear brake mechanism, are the rear pads adjusted only when the parking brake is actuated? If so, we need to start using the parking brake more often! Thanks for any feedback.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    2014 should have rear disk brakes.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last Prius drum brakes should have been in Model Year 2009 in North America, much earlier elsewhere in the world.

If you are seeing too much disc rust, then try some harder non-regenerative braking to scrape it off. Maybe even put the car in Neutral while braking to disable the regeneration.

Raytheeagle and Danny3xd like this.
  4. Aikido the Great

Aikido the Great New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ur supposed the apply the parking brake everything single time u park the car. It’s in the manual. And even if u don’t geek out and read it u should at least realize a car that rolls a little when in park is probably not a good idea. After the car is parked there is an automatic parking mechanism. But it isn’t applied instantly. And I’m sure that to prevent uneccessary wear and tear as the sound it makes is clearly unsettleing. As is rough. So use the parking brake every time u park. It’s in the manual for facks sake