1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking brake stuck on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Deloreanfanatic, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Deloreanfanatic

Deloreanfanatic New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2004 Prius gen 2. After a very wet journey across the country (Colorado to Maine) I applied the parking brake at my destination. The next day I realized that releasing the parking brake pedal no longer releases the brake drum and my back wheel is locked entirely. It just drags when I move it. Thinking it was rusted, I knocked around the back drum with a hammer but had no luck getting it to release. I am many miles from any mechanic and would rather not pay to have it towed. I am next going to try removing the center console to get to the parking brake mechanism and see if I see anything wrong there but I wanted to ask here too. I Should mention that the pedal is acting the way it always has, it doesn’t feel tight or loose. I appreciate your time!

#1 Deloreanfanatic, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    ydpplqbd likes this.
  2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would try to get the car into a heated garage (I know hard to find in Maine). Alternatively, I would remove the wheel of the offending brake and try to remove the brake drum (as it appears to be frozen in place). Next step, I believe that Gen2 Prius drums have jack screw holes on the drum (IOW screws that are NOT currently installed, probably 6 or 8mm diameter, are installed in jack holes to remove drum). Do NOT use crazy amounts of force using jack screws. If still not coming off then use a ball pein hammer to beat the drum off while using jacking screws. If all else fails, use a propane torch to heat the drum, while beating drum with hammer and using jack holes. Best of luck, let us know how you make out (I feel your pain).

PS The above recommendation assumes that parking brake cables are NOT sticking or frozen. Inspect parking brake cables for issues before trying to remove the offending drum.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does the parking brake cable remain taut at the rear of the brake brake, when the brake pedal's released?

M8x1.25, at least an inch long, fully threaded. Screw them in as far as they'll do without a fight, then back them out, blow the loose rust out of the holes, and repeat, till you manage to get through.

There's a couple of attachments that may help.

In the parking brake document, for the symptom of drag, they refer to page PB-14, and there step #1 is to discharge the AC system?? I would hope it doesn't come to that, kind of nuts... Oh, and then pull out the dash? This is like some sort of cruel joke; is there a hidden camera somewhere??

Attached Files:

#3 Mendel Leisk, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019