1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking Brake vs Parking Button

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kablooie, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But wouldn't the use of the parking brake result in the possibility of rear wheel lockup and a very slight chance the car will spin out (though I suspect VSC will try to prevent that). With a handbrake, at least you can have your thumb over the release button; it's harder on a foot brake.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    True. A hand brake is easier to control for emergency braking, but in the absence of any other means to slow down, a foot brake becomes an attractive alternative.

Tom

3. VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's the parking pawl that is being relieved of force... and that, on most transmissions, is a tiny metal pin. I've had a transmission whose parking pawl has sheared because the car was parked only using the transmission on a hill. I started the car, moved it out of Park, and with a loud metallic *PING*, the pin sheared off. That was the last time the car parked anywhere without using the parking brake.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The parking brake is so weak that you don't have to worry about rear wheel lockup. Try it at highway speed when no one is behind you, and see how hard you have to press on the parking brake pedal to show a modest reduction in speed.

Even if you apply the parking brake pedal with your full strength, you'll be waiting a long time until the car actually stops, and might feel like Fred Flintstone who had to stick his left foot out to help the stopping process. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool thanks for the info!

Well... I have slowed down the wheels enough to induce oversteer (not sure if they're actually locked) on snowy/icy roads.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I am not suggesting you try this on snowy/icy roads. Nor do I suggest that you turn the steering wheel hard, as you engage the parking brake at speed.

Try it on a dry highway while steering straight ahead. Once you see how the car behaves under those conditions, then it is up to your view of safety vs. adventure if you want to try something more advanced.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's mostly a parking brake, not an emergency brake. Use it every time you park to keep the cable un-rusted and allow it to self-adjust so that it will be more likely to function if you ever do need it as an emergency brake.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, I know.

9. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just call 911. :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is true on many cars, but not for the Prius. The Prius parking pawl is a robust helical gear that screws into place. If you manage to break it, you have probably broken something else in the process.

Tom

11. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Makes me wonder, what's the first thread ever in this forum? Whoa, there are some dated from 1969 :)

The first non-1969 post had to do with disabling the reverse beep (and seatbelt beep).

On a more relevant note, it's good to know that my practice of Pressing the parking button before hitting the parking brake isn't really taxing my transmission!