1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking Brakes loud stroke after releasing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mygel, Sep 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mygel

mygel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Last week when I released parking brake, i heard a loud stroke from rear brakes, sounds like brake pads were jammed and suddenly released, and rear of the car lowered supposedly of 2 inches. Car is driven every day, no reason to brake jam due to long time parking or something. This happened 3-4 times. Now it seems to be all right, no loud sound, nothing. Can parking on a bit uneven ground cause this? Any ideas?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you park with the rotors wet they will often "corrode" to the pads, making a "bang" sound when you next start to move (next morning). It takes a few hours for them to stick. If it did this when it was raining, and now it isn't raining, that would explain it.

3. mygel

mygel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It may be this case...thanks.

4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, uneven ground will cause the car to pitch a bit when setting or releasing the parking brake, in my experience. The bang may have been the pawl that freezes the transaxle in place when set to P.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles on it, and have you ever had the rear brake maintenance done, ie: caliper pulled off, pad/shim inspection and clean up, caliper pin lubrication? And if so how recently, and who did it?

A couple of things you can try to just check on their general condition:

1. Feel the rear wheels after an extended drive. If they're hot the brakes are dragging.
    2. More-or-less the same but more definitive: chock the front wheels, release parking brake and raise the rear end (easiest with a floor jack at the rear central jacking point), and try spinning the wheels. They should easily spin a revolution or two, with only minor drag, due to the disc brake configuration. If they're really fighting you something is awry.

6. mygel

mygel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To Mendel: 31.000 miles (!) do not know if the inspection of rear brakes was done, every service thing so far was carried out by an authorized local toyota dealer. I will check if the rear wheels are spinning freely while on jack, but as i said now everything´s fine. I suspected caliper pin too, pads and rotators are like new, rear and front, no dirt, should inspect calipers.
    To FuelMiser: Where is that pawl situated?, suppose it´s somewhere uder the bonnet, but that bang came from behind, i think..
    Anyway, thanks for your advices!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "pawl" is something internal to the transaxle (aka transmission), basically a pin that stops rotation, prevents the front wheels from turning. It's activated whenever you turn off the car or push the "P" (Park) button.

8. mygel

mygel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I´ve heard it yesterday when i parked with nose downhill and put "d" there was a sound like releasing the pawl but much more subtle than rear brakes bang and somewhere deep down under the transmission lever...and that weird lowering of rear part of car?

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If there is any forward or rearward force on the car with the parking brake applied, the rear suspension should move up or down a bit. When you release the brake it returns to "normal".

mygel and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. mygel

mygel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Many thanks.