1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking garage mishap

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cmstlist, Jun 11, 2014.

1. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I felt like such a genius when I found $5.50 all-day parking in downtown Toronto (Kensington Green P). I don't normally drive downtown but had an appointment the day I was coming home from a trip to Ottawa so it made sense to drive straight there. Anyway on the way out of the garage I paid at the exit gate and then promptly scraped my left wheel and dented above it. Nice yellow scrape.

[​IMG]

I just moved back here last month and never owned a car here. Any thoughts on what I should reasonably expect the repair to cost? Places to consider/avoid for repairs? I have a $500 deductible so probably no point taking this to insurance.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate it when that happens. :whistle:
    (no, not a Prius. something before that.)

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think that is a reasonable $1K repair. I am not sure of choices in Toronto.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Too bad the damage spans both the bumper cover and the fender. Would have been less if damage was limited to one or the other. Also, damage to the wheel cover.

SCH-I535

5. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If it hasn't broken through the paint (to bare metal), I would bring it to a good detailer. Obviously, if the metal is damaged, you'll need bodywork. Otherwise, I've seen top-notch detailers fix damage similar to that, and you couldn't tell anything happened.

6. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Saw that same thing on a Tesla, lol

Anyway...I see that a lot on cars in my apartment complex, who mostly park head first...don't people know that it's much easier to park back in, then head first??? and might I also add car's ready to move next time you come to it, but no, people would rather just come in and park the lazy way, and second guess where their fenders are with the columns (or other cars).

7. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes well this was an exit gate so the direction of parking wasn't at issue here :)

Oy really $1000? I had a previous scrape and dent that was larger and cost about $650 in BC, but it spanned only the rear bumper and a wheel cover. And that one was someone else's fault.

Yes the metal is dented but only on the fender not the bumper.

I think there's one small spot where the paint is scraped down.

Nexus 5 ?

8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You may want to speak with a paintless dent removal company before going to a body shop, they can fix many dents and scrapes for less $$$. ​

9. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good to know. Upon further inspection:

- The yellow paint is superficial and the factory paint is still visible underneath after taking a fingernail to a tiny bit of the yellow.
    - The white scratches appear to indeed be scratches but again the factory paint appears underneath after wiping away some of the debris.
    - On the bumper section only, two dime sized areas have the underlying metal visible and everything else is superficial.

If it would reduce the cost significantly, I wouldn't be bothered by leaving those spots as is, fixing the dent and polishing the white and yellow off.

Nexus 5 ?

10. cmstlist

cmstlist Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the tip. I will look into how much that'd cost.

Nexus 7 ?