1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking Lot Damage - Front Fender Liner

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Aleckin, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Aleckin

Aleckin Maximizing utility from a depreciating asset.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Went to Costco today, scraped the raised concrete barriers in the parking lot. Heard some plastic scraping noises, stopped the car, and backed up.

Observed some damage on the Left Front Fender Liner (53852-47020):
    [​IMG]

Some damage on the backside of the Left Front Fender Liner (53852-47020) as well:
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture on the Right Front Fender Liner (53851-47040) for comparison .
    [​IMG]

I wonder if the Left Front Fender Liner (53852-47020) needs replacing and how difficult it is to replace. There seems to be several screws holding it in place.

Thanks for the help!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would absolutely leave it as-is. That scraping is trivial, likely from more than one contact and you'll just be in a world of hurt trying to replace. Depending on your locale I guess, but if you get significant rain and road salt, the circled bolts will be lumps of rust:

upload_2018-3-3_10-49-22.png

And attempting to remove them will likely snap the heads off. They're basically rust-rivets, meaning that small pan needs to be removed together with the entire fender liner.

Yeah, I would nothing, and try to make a point of stopping a little further back, with curbs, wheel stops.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Aleckin likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a snap, with that pan pulled down, looking at the interior. For orientation, you can see a bit of tire tread showing through the pan drain hole. Note the hopelessly rusted metal strap and rust lumps masquerading as bolts...

upload_2018-3-3_10-58-35.png

Aleckin likes this.
  4. Aleckin

Aleckin Maximizing utility from a depreciating asset.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Thank you for the advice, the explanations, and the pictures! That fender liner surely looked much easier to replace than it really is.

I looked at the bolts again, they look pretty new with black paint on them. No signs of corrosion or rust.

Though with all the complexities that exist with this task, wouldn't even try it to replace it now.

I really appreciate the help, Mendel!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's item #9 here:

Fender & Components for 2012 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

And somewhat oddly, it's the whole kit and kaboodle. Maybe that's an acknowledgement, that the 3 bolt connection between pan and fender liner is permanent? I see also it's not currently available.

Someone here ordered one and was dismayed to find it was rolled into a coil in the shipping box. It's no big deal though: the fender liner portion in particular is very flimsy/flexible. Still, bottom line, that "spat" that scraped is the tip of a bigger "iceberg", and a little scuffing is par for the course. I've taken that piece almost completely out, but there is one fastener at the rear of wheel well that counfounded me, maybe needed to be destroyed to remove.

Aleckin likes this.
  6. DBlotii

DBlotii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is the part (number or name) that attaches to the rear of the inner fender liner. It is a plastic cover or some sort that a small air dam attaches to.

7. DBlotii

DBlotii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    never-mind, i realize i am referring to the piece tat is part of the inner fender liner