1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking Lot Dings

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tonyrenier, Jan 13, 2012.

1. The Broz

The Broz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering what the general consensus was on the usefulness of these on a 2012 hatch (I don't own one yet, but am looking to buy in a few months). The OP said that they were basically "useless". I see only 2 reviews in the shop from anyone since 2008 (both coming in 2011 and both positive reviews that say that the molding DO in fact prevent dings).
    I would appreciate any thoughts folks have. I would love to avoid door dings if the moldings would help, but if most agree that they are "useless", I won't bother.
    My follow up question would be (if I decide to get the moldings), has anyone had a dealer do it for them? What I am thinking is I would buy them in advance from the PC shop and have the dealer installation labor included as part of my bid request from the dealers I contact. Hence - wondering if anyone had this experience of having a deal install them. I am a complete dork when it comes to installing anything that will need to "look right" when it is done so I would definitely have someone who is less of a dork do it for me.

2. Mario13

Mario13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a very simple solution to avoiding door dings. Part of it has been partially mentioned already. First, find an end spot...one with only one other spot next to it. Also, make sure the end spot doesn't have a curb on the other side of your car (the side without a parking spot next to it). Now park half-way (yes half-way) outside this spot closer to the side without a parking slot. Using this method and also parking WAY at the back of the parking lot will nearly 100% prevent dings.

3. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I can live with a door ding, sometimes, but over running a tire bumper, high curb, ouch. I was parked in a lot, no one around, Picked up my girlfriend and we got in the car, there was enough weight between us, (and were not heavy people) that the car lowered onto a tire bumper, and I pulled out, scraping the front cowling and cracking the right fender at the front bottom about 3 inches, now that sucks!

4. The Broz

The Broz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really my question was more about what people thought about the body side moldings. Waste of money for a 2012 hatch?

5. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Waste. The car looks better without. And really.....how many dings are you going to get at that exact height?

6. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  7. The Broz

The Broz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I found out by accident (wasn't paying attention) that parking at a real low spot in a parking lot is making you a shopping car magnet. Less than two months and have a real nice ding on the front passenger door. :(