1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parking My Prius v for a Few Weeks

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by M8s, Apr 4, 2012.

1. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In my 2009 Prius, I know what to do for long-term storage: (a) turn off the smart key system with the "Key" button, (b) pump up the tires, (c) leave off the parking brake, (d) put Stabil in the fuel, and (e) hook up a smart charger to the 12 volt remote battery terminals.

Here's my question: I'll be parking my 2012 v5 for several weeks (4 or 5) and don't know how (or whether) to turn off the smart key system. Also, I'll be parking in my garage and I can hook up a smart charger, but is that recommended? If a smart charger is hooked up, is there any need to turn off the smart key? Is there anything else on the v5 I should do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You can turn off the smartkey via the nav computer custom settings. Someone else did that by accident.

3. RichardAK

RichardAK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The local dealer told me to plug in the smart charger if I was going to leave the car sitting for more than a week or so. By "smart", AGM compatible charging program.

I would assume that there isn't any reason to disable the SKS. I suspect that it doesn't draw more than an amp...

4. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks guys.

I saw the post where the sks was turned off accidentally but I don't remember him saying how he did it. I guess it's time to look in the owner's manual.

5. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's through the nav system, through the setup, I believe general or or something. I know its in the setup section.

6. jwalker

jwalker New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Have 2 homes and have a sitting Prius at each which means one of them will be sitting for 2-3 months. When I just returned to one house the starter battery was dead. AAA jump start to the dealer for a new battery, 06 Prius original battery so it was due. In talking to the service guy he says get a trickle charger if the cars are sitting that long. I did and it works. Hookup is easy. I did my mine thru the fuse box up front. Went to you tube to see how to do it. The starter battery is a small battery like a regular car and nothing to do with the hybrid battery.

7. Gizzyboo

Gizzyboo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I discoverd the hard way - by finding my battery discharged (the 12v) after being gone for just a week! - that anything over a week with a Prius v and you will have a dead battery and need a jump. Although my local Toyota service dept advised me to disconect the battery whenver I'm gove for a week or more, I called the service 800 number and was advised to use the trickle charger (actually a smart charger / battery tender set to 2 amp max). As someone else said, it does not need to connect directly to the 12 v battery in the back and can charge through the fuse box under the hood (just follow the directions in the manual for jump starting).

8. Rh0

Rh0 Junior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good smart charger? Thanks!

9. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I bought "Xtreme Charge XC100" it works OK, once the battery is charged, it keeps the battery at voltage 13.3V

I was using it constantly in February/March to keep the battery in top shape; and planning on running special plug wire through the floor in the battery compartment so I can charge it in the winter times.

10. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've used a Battery Tender Plus 3 stage smart charger for years. It is a good product that has yet to destroy a battery. Any 3 or 4 (depending on marketing) stage charger will be good. You want one that has bulk absorption and float mode. Some have a 4th called storage. I would consider a BatteryMinder but love the one I have. Mine is a older version of this:
    http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/brands/battery-tender/BT-021-0128.html

This one looks to have a better connection to the battery.

There are tons of articles out there. Boaters have struggled with this for years and have written volumes on the topic. It's all relevant and basically tell you to avoid battery sulfation.
    W

1 person likes this.
  11. Fil Factor

Fil Factor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This doesn't seem right to me: was this in cooler temps? Does the V battery drain faster than the regular prius? I had a 2004 and could leave it for 2 weeks no problem in summer.

12. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Me either. I was out of town unexpectedly for 10 days and my car was fine. It stayed as I parked it no problems and no precautions. W

13. jwalker

jwalker New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V

14. jwalker

jwalker New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I have two homes one in ga and mo with a 2006 Prius parked at one and a 2010 Prius at the other. They get parked from 2-3 months at a time. After discovering a dead battery I started hooking up a trickle charger and problem solved with no dead batteries anymore. A Toyota service guy told me to do this after spending 300 to replace the dead battery

15. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, am I glad I saw this thread. I had no idea. Is this mentioned in the manual at all?

16. Encalibur

Encalibur New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    My folk's hybrid Highlander just had its lead acid dye. The maintenance guy said nothing more than "you owe me x amount" though. Now i know!

thanks

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hooked up a CTEK Multi-Use 3300 while we were out of town for a couple of weeks, seemed to work just fine. It's a "smart" charger, backs off to trickle charger once the battery is fully charged. It's a little pricey compared to similar products, but works well, comes with good connectors, and an organizer bag (rarity these days).

18. owayneo

owayneo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    How do you include your Fuelly dashboard in your post?
    Thanks,
    owayneo

19. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  20. varun

varun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Planning to leave my Prius v parked for 3-4 weeks , dealer asked me to use battery tender . Looks like other option of disconnecting battery from the back will erase system memory , so advised me not do that and invest in a battery tender .
    Just got battery tender plus from Costco , can someone advice me on how to connect battery tender plus .