1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parrot imitates fire alarm, saves family

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by FloridaWen, Oct 27, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Parrot imitates fire alarm, saves family
    Peanut the parrot imitates fire alarm, saves family, owner says

MUNCIE, Ind. - A noisy parrot that likes to imitate sounds helped save a man and his son from a house fire by mocking a smoke alarm, the bird's owner says.

Shannon Conwell, 33, said he and his 9-year-old son fell asleep on the couch while watching a movie. They awoke about 3 a.m. Friday to find their home on fire after hearing the family's Amazon parrot, Peanut, imitating a fire alarm.

"He was really screaming his head off," Conwell said.

The smoke alarm had activated, but it was the bird's call that caught Conwell's attention.

"I grabbed my son and my bird and got out of the house," he said.

The fire destroyed the home's dining room, kitchen and bedroom, Muncie fire officials said. It remains under investigation.

Aside from Peanut, Conwell said the fact that he and his son fell asleep on the couch helped save them. They may not have heard the alarm or the bird if they were asleep in their bedrooms.

Conwell said he runs an air conditioner and a breathing machine in his bedroom and they drown out a lot of noise around the house.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21443309/?GT1=10450

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep, smart little bugger isn't he... parrots have some pretty amazing intelligence. and a real knack for imitation too! plus, amazons can have some big voices.