1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Part I: Open box reviews of JDM Valenti full LED tail lamps from TWP

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 32kcolors, Jun 26, 2011.

1. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the great pics :) I have two questions:
    1. do they have a DOT number on them?
    2. can they somehow be disassembled? I mean are there screws or snap-ins in the plastic so I'd be able to replace one sides backup LEDs from white to red (on our european cars we have the red fog lights there)

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1. I'm not sure what a DOT number looks like but if it's supposed to start with "DOT" I don't see it. Can you tell me exactly what to look for while I still have the passenger's side out?

2. There are 5 screws on the back, but I have no idea if these LEDs can be replaced. I would imagine so, given the manual asks us to go to the dealer for any LED replacement on the OEM lights.

3. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A DOT/SAE approved replacement part for lighting has such a DOT starting number somewhere visible from the outside. This is necessary for our local authorities.

These taillights would be great if I can easily disassemble them so the PCB with the LEDs come out. I can then replace them for sure. But my problem is that one some other designs they hare somewhat glued and opening it mostly causes damages to them. Would be great if removing the 5 screws would let one open the case easily.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't you mean European E-mark certification, as you live in Europe? Yes, it has a bunch of numbers visible from the outside indicating it's E-mark passed for street legal use.

[​IMG]

The other numbers to the left of Valenti name are as follows: R (right unit) IIIH GROUP 60-1355

I may be insane enough to drive around with mismatched taillights for a week but I'm not crazy enough to try to disassemble them to find that out :D All I know is the unit is held together by 5 Phillips head screws. You can PM Panson and ask him whether it's user-replaceable.

5. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks a lot, the E4 mark is perfect :) I'm in for a set when the pricing is good.

6. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any updates on this? I love the full res ones. Thinking of getting ribbon blue and the red tail lights

Thanks
    Ryan

7. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey Ryan,

32Kcolors and I have been asked to test these taillamps for a specific period (roughly 3 months) to work out any potential bugs and gremlins. One of my taillamps has a hyper flash issue with the turn signal, which does not exist for 32K, so it looks to be an isolated incident. We have been providing our reports to the distributor (TWP) who has been in contact with the manufacturer.
    I'm guessing that if the kinks are worked out quickly, TWP would offer a group buy sooner than later.

-Calvin

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Calvin,
    What are the terms of the test? Do you all get to keep the lights afterward?

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We are to provide reviews in 3 threads with pictures and feedback during the testing cycle. There will be a Part III (Follow-up reviews/opinions), probably after Calvin's right unit is fixed.

Yes, we get to keep the lights afterward as we paid a special tester price for them. They'd have to pry from my cold, dead hands, or maybe I should install 10 more of those stubborn white fasteners to make them virtually impossible to repo :D

1 person likes this.
  10. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update. I want them. iF they are priced right.

Thanks again
    Ryan