1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Part II: Installation and Initial Review of Valenti JDM full LED tail lamps from TWP

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by HI MPG, Jun 28, 2011.

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's more to test for issues of the units. It could've been worse as Calvin and I could have requested the same model.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To give you some idea of how the HC and SC models would look on Blizzard Pearl and Silver, here are some photos:

Bino's red Crystal Eye model on BP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

w202mae's Crystal Eye on Silver

[​IMG]

Smoke-tinted OEM lights on BP

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I happened to find a video of the HC model on a Blizzard Pearl!

4. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As most of you who follow this thread now, I have an issue with the right side unit hyper flashing when that side turn signal is used exclusively. Well, TWP arranged to have a replacement unit shipped out to me. About a week later, I have replacement unit in hand. I had time to connect the harness and test the turn signal. No hyper flash. The replacement unit works fine with no hitches.
    So it appears the hyper flash was isolated to that specific unit (possibly an issue with a faulty harness) as my left side taillamp and replacement unit do not have this issue. Both of 32k's lamps work perfectly normal as well.

5. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

6. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry for not responding sooner. I've been on vacation out in the middle of BFE (central valley CA) visiting parents. I still have the faulty unit but it looks like you already found out your answer.

7. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, thanks. I did not expect receiving the units that fast. In my point of view the faulty in the unit is the resistor or it's connections. As it's easy to access you may resolder it to get a good spare if one has a damaged one from an accident or so.

8. graybadge

graybadge grumpy old man

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    HEADS UP! In step 12, the lite is supposed to "pop" into place. Make sure all the fasteners and tabs line up before pushing the lite back on. There are 5 fasteners that need to align. Mine popped all right! @#$%(*$!!! I guess I found the weak spot in the plastic housing - at the very top. The top corner cracked, resulting in a triangular piece ~ one inch on a side. It's unsupported and won't take much force. I'll post a picture later. It's not too noticeable, and I'll try to superglue it back in for now. What a disappointment.

I'm not going to try to blame the post office. It's my own damn fault. Package arrived in decent shape, and I inspected the contents out of the box. The function, fit and finish of the lights is very good quality. Now I have to figure out how to order a left HC light.

1 person likes this.
  9. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow...Thanks for the heads up...I am literally at that step right now!

10. blizzardfive

blizzardfive Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just finished installing the rear lights. As expected, the job took about an hour long, a little more effort that I originally anticipated but it was all worth it in the end. These lights should be standard on the Prius. Quality is very OEM like. Good job to the guys at TWP.

11. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ughhh! I broke of a tiny piece of the corner..about the size of half a post stamp. Those damn things are a pain to get off and back on. They look great though. The hole is very small and I plan on using loctite to secure little piece back in and use red magic marker to cover any hazing after light 200 grit sanding

Hope this helps!

E

12. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have noticed that the left side is much harder to get properly installed than the right side. It looks like the top yellow "tab" piece that have to slide in is the cause for this. I had to get it in and out three or four times until it was ok (almost, it sticks out about 3 mm)

13. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I found the piece I thought I broke off in the box! Seems there was some common damage among the shipments. I used epoxy to try and reattach the piece..but it sank a little and is not flush. Panson has a great reputation so I'm sure they will make things right.

14. XMAN LIVE

XMAN LIVE "Just have Fun!"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    where the pictures?

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think what happened to the two of you is an internal crack developed at the tip during shipment and it simply broke off during the installation. The Valenti lights should not have an "inherent weak spot" anywhere. It isn't consistent with the quality and construction of the lights. My units were very well-packaged, with foam buffer covering all tips and corners in addition to double bubble wraps. Maybe someone different at Valenti did the packaging this time. Nevertheless, all the shipments come with insurance so you'll have to document the damage properly (not on the car!) in order to get a replacement. And do NOT use epoxy to try and reattach the piece!

16. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1.) The piece was broken off in THE BOX..not as I was putting it on. I found it in the packagng as I was preparing the other side. This was an OBVIOUS problem with the way it was packed with the delicate points facing up near the top without a thick level of styrofoam to protect it.

Golden Piano's quote " I just got my package this morning, and I noticed how they were boxed with the two "points" of the tail lights stuck up against the top of the box inside the package. Perhaps the box could have been an inch or two larger so that the two "points" on the tail lights could fit down in the box and not be sticking up like that, but....would have, should have, could have...."

Why would DAMNinic, Banshee08, graybadge, Sc24vr6, and myself all have damged units in the same corner spot if it was not a problem with the way it was packaged.

2.) Why not use epoxy to fix it? Most DIY on fixing taillamps say to use exactly that. I actually put another coat to level it out and I think it looks MUCH better and even now...and once I sand it and red marker it all should be good.

3.) Not sure why you quoted/infered there was an "Inherent Weak Spot"...no one said anything of the sort....just the way the fragile corners were PACKED I am in NO WAY knocking the quality of this item.it is very well made and OEM looking. The few people who have seen it have been floored. I will not be looking for a replacement because I think the fix I have done will finally look good. I was just saying that for those who had larger unfixable pieces.

Thanks to 32 and Panson for providing such an awesome unit and installation instructions. I am over the moon how good it looks and for anyone on the fence about it..don't be! Now that shipping packaging will be addressed this is a MUST HAVE for any 10/11 Prius.

E

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sure, you can use epoxy to fix it if it were an user-inflicted damage, but if the damage was caused during shipment you get Valenti to ship you a replacement, not repair it yourself. You ruin your chance of getting a replacement if you try to repair it. Maybe you're different, but most people won't accept a damaged unit out of box.

graybadge did say he thought he pressed on a weak spot on the unit and caused the damage himself, when in reality there was an internal crack that developed during shipping. In other words, he should remove the unit from the car and take the appropriate photos to submit to Valenti in order get a replacement.

18. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    and DAMNinic, Banshee08, Sc24vr6 all pressed on weak spots as well?

I'm not looking for a replacement..the piece was small and I waited long enough, I think it will look fine. If Panson or the factory will not replace one lens because I took the initiative to save them money/hassle and fix something myself ...then so be it. I will give Panson a little more credit than you.

19. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm in the same boat as 32K in that the initial shipment of taillamps that were shipped to me were nicely packaged and secured in the box. If it was truly a shipping issue, I say you notify Panson and see what he could do. If nothing else, they'll know that there are some issues with their current packaging that will need to be fixed for future shipments.

20. El Nino

El Nino Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We're all in the same boat in that we love the product. I made the mistake of trying to fix it and not documenting the damage for a replacement. 6 in the group buy had damaged pieces so yeah I think it was the way they were packed. You and 32 were one-offs so maybe they packaged yours differently as opposed to the production units? I don't know but either way I'm happy and whatever happens is fine by me. Panson has already been notified by all involved parties in the group buy thread and is taking care of it.

E