1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parts needed for Catalytic converter delete

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by oracle100, Jan 30, 2023.

1. oracle100

oracle100 Kaizen

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Planning to do a CAT delete on my gen 2 prius after my 3rd CAT theft. I'm pretty much devastated. This last time they were able to sneak the CAT through the cat-shield. These thieves are getting smarter and more creative.

I'm trying to put together a parts list for a CAT delete pipe. I have sourced a 2 inch flexible pipe and a strap on O2 sensor bung. All that I need is the inlet flange that connects to header. Anybody know where I can get a converter flange?

cat measurement.jpeg

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's probably way less effort and hassle to spend a $100 on this direct fit aftermarket cat and have it shipped to a friend in a state where they ship them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193690871378 . Will only take an hour or so to install and a straight pipe will have way more hassles, especially to the health of yourself and everyone else who has to breath the fumes on a regular basis. And if you can find a emission testing mechanic that will overlook visual inspection of cat to make sure it's OEM or equivalent you'll be able to keep your registration current.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why try so hard? If you want to break the law, just buy an aftermarket Catalytic converter on Craigslist, offerup, or similar marketplace. They don't cost much and it's usually just bolted on and clamped.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pieces like that are available from RockAuto.com and typically from any auto-parts store like AutoZone, online.
    Just search for "exhaust flange" or "exhaust ball flange". Some will even include a small length of exhaust tube that has the bevel area (ball area) for the gasket and an expanded end for slip fitting the next pipe section into place.

You'll need the pipe size and the center-to-center distance of the bolt holes

#4 TMR-JWAP, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    oracle100 likes this.
  5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Bay area Craigslist mobile cat install $480

Toyota Prius Catalytic exhaust converter system with mobile install...

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The decent made ones will have the flanges and bolt right in place just like your old catalytic converter pipe did I bought a couple for $100 and they bolted right in to provided springs new nuts and studs weren't too good I didn't use them but other than that it bolted right up on the factory studs with the factory springs and I got some new nuts no problem in the back portion is ready to clamp to your existing piece I just slip it together and when I think about it I drive it by my buddies exhaust place and he puts the seam around it takes a whopping 12 minutes or something

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Or they may live in a place where the county they live in has dumped the emissions test and requirements for inspection That's a lot of counties now that are doing that they realize they got jerked by that mess. Once they do that you're good to ride that light can be on the heck with it makes no difference.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just because politicians & oligarchs in the deep south have convinced everyone that protesting air pollution by polluting as much as possible is a virtue, doesn't mean the rest of the world is that misguided. Almost always you fail an emissions test in California if you don't have OEM or a near OEM cat. Just once have I seen someone get away with it on here.

More to the point: "The combined effects of ambient air pollution and household air pollution is associated with 7 million premature deaths annually. Sources of air pollution are multiple and context specific."
    https://www.who.int/health-topics/air-pollution

10. oracle100

oracle100 Kaizen

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought about doing that but my co-worker had his aftermarket CAT stolen. These thieves don't distinguish fake from OEM, they just take it. I figure they're not dumb enough to steal a straight pipe. I know where you're coming from. I just don't want to go through the hassle once again, for the fourth time.

11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bet if you buy 2 cats for $100 that 2nd cat won't get used and I'll eventually buy it off of you. Especially if you take the advice of this particular cat defense system: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRppvDWJ/

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  12. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRppvDWJ/.
    Brilliant! The other thing I have see is people smear dog SH*T or chicken or cat all over the ground under where they park if they have a dedicated Parking Spot. Apparently rotten food also works...

13. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much does the fuel efficiency get reduced using? Is this method no cat with both sensors?

Mine came with a custom setup and I'm planning to replace the cat and two Denso sensors with hopes to increase the fuel efficiency back into the 40-50mpg's and get rid of the P0031, P0037 and P2238 codes.

#13 James Analytic, Mar 1, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No this method was installed just like the factory and the cat came from one of those large manufacturers that sell on eBay not some regular seller this was straight from the manufacturer site on eBay The part look the part and everything. So I had it installed the state of above both sensors in place nothing was cut upon removal I had the PO420 no matter and still got the you know between 42 and 471 miles per gallon

15. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see now. I was thinking you installed some cat delete pipe and your buddy had to spend 12 minutes welding the seem in. Still not exactly sure what you mean by the seam detail.

Man, how do you get the "471 mpg"? o_O That's be awesome! ;) Typo I'm guessing.

Yeah, my 30-40mpg isn't what I'm used to.

I still see almost 60mpg's with the all factory nothing done 2013; other than recalls, drivers side inner tie rod and rear brake pads (though fronts are getting close). The rest are routine consumables like fluids, wipers, filters and tires.

16. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What will you do about motor vehicle inspection?

17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    47.1 rated gen2 mileage at production. Seam. My muffler guy seams up the spot most would install a clamp. This is where the rear section of the cat slips on to the rear section of the exhaust system which down the line has the muffler attached to it. I just put an aftermarket cat on I wasn't deleting the cat I can delete the cat here where I live or I can gut the cat and bolt it back on empty and leave my O2 sensors in place and in the state that I'm in North Carolina even with the check engine light on in Orange county I will pass inspection I just have a safety inspection in Orange county North Carolina so I can have any kind of catalytic converter on my car I want It has to look like it's in place so here that would mean if my catalytic converter was failing because it was plugged up or it wouldn't pass the test built into the Prius system on the car. I could just remove the converter run a rebar through it got the internals take the brick out bolt it all back up so I know it's not plugged up or blocked and now has full flow so I know that my exhaust gas is at least leaving the vehicle at a decent flow rate. A plugged up catalytic converter will kill your gas mileage and keep the converter glowing red hot and possibly damage exhaust valves because the exhaust gas can't get through the converter through the muffler and out into the air fast enough It's engine damaging