1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parts needed for Catalytic Converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Chicarielli, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Peter Chicarielli

Peter Chicarielli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,

I recently had my catalytic converter stolen from my Gen 2 Prius. Midas originally gave me an estimate for these parts along with the actual converter:
    DIRECT FIT CONVERTER - $835.99
    FUEL/AIR RATIO SENSR - $350.99
    OXYGEN SENSOR - $204.99
    Labor - $480.22
    After taxes it was $1,984.52 total.

After going back and forth with my insurance, the final bill Midas had was much less - by about $700.

The converter was the same price, but the labor was less and the oxygen sensor was also less.

My question is; what is the Fuel/Air Ratio Sensor? It apparently didn't make the cut, as it was not mentioned in the final invoice. Was that just an unnecessary up-sell? Googling this makes it seem like the Fuel/air sensor and oxygen sensor are the same thing.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
    Pete

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The air fuel sensor is mounted in the exhaust manifold and is rarely ever damaged on a CC theft, as it's not near anything they touch.. The O2 sensor is mounted between the two cats and it's wires are usually cut or ripped out of the car when the cat is removed by the thieves.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A direct swap converter is available for about $350 or so on ebay. Last one I looked at even had a 5 year warranty.

I'm amazed at $480 labor. Wow, I can swap one of these, and the sensor in about an hour, without a shop lift.

The air/fuel sensor is a bit of a PIA to swap, maybe they forgot to remove that labor time.

#3 TMR-JWAP, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    SFO likes this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Midas is a rip off. Check this video out, If you are handy, it is a do it yourself job.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're going through insurance to repair this item, I would bring it to a Toyota dealer and get the correct oem parts. Don't use the Midas stuff

fotomoto likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Would the insurer total a 2008 if faced with the dealer price?

7. Peter Chicarielli

Peter Chicarielli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all the input everyone. Unfortunately, I already got it done at Midas. Probably should have brought it to a Toyota dealer. Live and learn.

But as far as my original question goes... is it possible to tell if I ever actually needed the Fuel Sensor? As @TMR-JWAP pointed out, the fuel sensor is usually not an issue with cat thefts. I know the oxygen sensor wires were cut, but I'm not sure where the Fuel Sensor is located. I'm attaching photos. Maybe it will be easier to judge whether or not Midas was just tacking on something unnecessary to the estimate.

Attached Files:

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They probably did tack on that item, not being familiar with the car, they thought it would be best to get the money from insurance than not have it.

Peter Chicarielli likes this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    when you look up at the engine, way above the cut pipe, on the driverside of the cast iron exhaust manifold, there will be a sensor screwed in. That is the air/fuel ratio sensor. It is well protected and the wires from the sensor route toward and under the inverter. The CC thief would have to exert extra effort to damage them.

AirFuel Sensor Location.jpg

#9 TMR-JWAP, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  10. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought one off eBay for $200 after market bolt on Did have to buy 2 different adapters from o'reilly to get the pipe size to match And through random 02 sensor until it bought the spacer for the 02 sensor then the computer was happy

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.