1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

parts.toyota.com still sucks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pasadena_commut, Jul 6, 2023.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Every once and a while I check the price of the OEM pack G9510-47031. In the past I could just plug that number into parts.toyota.com, and then select from the list of dealers to see what the range was. These days it doesn't work at all. Put that number into the toyota parts site (with or without the "-") and it finds nothing. However, using Google to search for "G9510-47031 toyota parts" (without the double quotes, just enter the interior part in the search field) and it finds numerous dealers with links to the right page, as in:

https://parts.longotoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-drive-motor-battery-pack-g951047031
    https://parts.totoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-drive-motor-battery-pack-g951047031

Toyota really screwed up their central parts site, amazingly, they seem to be doing nothing at all to fix it. At least it seems not to have recovered at all since they broke it. How are the service departments dealing with this mess? Maybe they have a secret alternate URL or private network they can search?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Anywhere on the site to give them feedback? I'm guess no, or it was shut down due to high traffic volume...

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah it's been Americanized by the people that run the country The facebooks and the executives from all these internet companies are running all this crap now or being consulted on how it's going to be run there you go I usually use the Google search I don't usually have any problems finding the whole battery assembly that goes in the back of a Prius Gen 2 or 3 they may be out of stock and there may be supply problems but at least I can see who might still partake in selling it very quickly. Thank God I got this out of the way mid pandemic The price was good and it seems like it'll never get back. And that's that now these things are $2,400 they're a thousand more dollars than what I paid and what 2022 seriously price went up for nickel metal hydride phone battery technology that's 35 years old? That's the battery technology my microtac $3,000 phone had and what like 1983. Holy Christ

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The MRSP is still $1,950 and, of the two dealers linked up above one has it for $1,850 and the other has it for $1,773.60.

5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bring back the old site. It worked great. They are losing a lot of sales with this new one.

TGrracie and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @Elektroingenieur has mentioned a separate "electronic parts catalogue" site that is what the dealers get to use. No doubt that still works fine.

There's also no doubt the site the rest of us get to see has been royally—indeed imperially and even papally—b0rked.

My cynical guess is somebody judged the old one was working too well, and customers were showing up at dealerships too well informed about the parts they needed and what those parts should cost. It wouldn't do for a car company to just not have a parts website, so they'd need to have something, but if they could manage to make one that looks pretty while really not helping you find parts, problem solved.

One step down in cynicism, more along the lines of "never ascribe to malice what can be explained by incompetence", somebody decided SimplePart was charging too much for the old system, and some folks were tasked to find a replacement, and one of them had a 12 year old who had just coded up a "universal e-commerce web site for any kind of product" that had been called really good by the teacher.

#6 ChapmanF, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
  7. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After logging into my Toyota account (regular user account) and digging around at the very bottom of a very long page

Contact Us | Contact Toyota

I eventually found a contact link.

https://support.toyota.com/s/questions-comments?language=en_US

Through that I explained in great detail and with examples that they broke their parts site and end users are not thrilled about it. Feel free to join in. It probably won't do any good, but what the heck. If anybody remembers more or less when this change was put in maybe cite that approximate date. I only use the parts site sporadically so my best estimate could be off by half a year.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used to visit the old, working site fairly often to answer people's parts questions in forums here, so the May 1 date when I first noticed is probably pretty close.

There has also been another thread here about it.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Elektroingenieur clued me in to parts.Toyota; he linked it often. Yeah, used to work just fine.

10. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota wrote back. Nothing helpful. This part was "amusing"

Sounds like they are going with "end user error" rather than "our web site doesn't actually work anymore". I thought the Japanese way was to off yourself after screwing up in a big way, but this is a prime example of the all American business practice of butt covering. The message also says:

So probably a purely American division error. Notice the lack of title for "Suzie", who for all we know in this day and age, is an automatic message generator rather than an actual person.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought I remembered there was a Web Design Hall of Shame somewhere, where this hot mess might deserve a nomination.

I'm not seeing an overall web design hall of shame now, though there is one for deceptive design.

I almost think this one still qualifies. The deception is in making you think it's a parts lookup site.

12. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Suzie" is the female (SAL-female, HAL-male) 9000 computer built in Urbana Illinois in 1992....................

TGrracie and Prius Rising like this.
  13. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's it! I'm never buying parts from Toyota ever again and therefore will never buy a Toyota ever again!

I can't get my payment to go through on their terrible website.

A bridge west of town is out indefinitely now placing the nearest Toyota dealer not 1 hour away, but now 4 hours away. The bridge isn't their fault, but they don't give me any good alternatives.

If Toyota doesn't want me buying things from them, then I just won't buy anything from them.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So you're in Maryland DC area and buy it through Rick Hendrick Toyota and have it shipped direct I'm not sure what Toyota you're dealing with Toyota.com no that's not the way to do it I don't think Go to the local dealer in your area but their website by your parts there have it sent to the store and pick them up You don't pay shipping or any of that nonsense I don't know if the bridge out is affecting you as far as travel or what the deal is. But until the Prius my whole 47 or so years with Toyota I never had any problems with parts because they could come from almost everywhere the Toyota dealer only for body parts when the car is in the first two years of its release date after that the aftermarket picks up all body parts even headlights only for the Prius did this change from what I can tell even Tacoma trucks tundras and all that You can get everything from the aftermarket The Prius if you have a generation 3 or up with LED headlights you're paying a thousand bucks for a set of lamps and way more than that for the repair of the front end of the car that got hit and none of it supported in the aftermarket except the front fender and the bumper cover

15. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in western Colorado. This is the Blue Lake Resevoir bridge cutting off access to the dealership in Montrose. The nearest dealership now is in Lakewood, over 200 miles from my house, or about 4 hours one way with good weather and traffic.

I was looking for parts for a 2013 Avalon hybrid and a 2006 Prius.

Any suggestions from anyone where to get an inverter pump for a 2006 Prius?

#15 Isaac Zachary, Apr 23, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes the asin units are all around . If needed I think I can pull up a link it's small enough or it doesn't really matter where it's coming from but it'll be somewhere in the US there is some hullabaloo as to whether the ASIN pump is as good as the later model Toyota or some kind of nonsense like this I know this one or these are made by Toyota or were contracted for by Toyota for their vehicles so it should have a pretty good run It's not the cheap junk out of China that last 30 days or maybe 9 months And if you really want to get any kind of way about it you can fit any 5/8 barbed fitting pump in place of the Toyota one I mean just about anything will work if they made fish tank pumps with that bigger barbed fittings on them you'd be good to go they make some mag drive pond pumps that can work I'm using it what looks to be a 12 volt version of the tiny might spa circulation pump You can Google that to see what it looks like mine's been in for years now I doubt it'll ever wear out I didn't really do anything to put it in there either it's just sitting there on some urea foam that comes out of a can I made a custom-made mount out of foam It's just a little thing.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Buy it off Olathe Toyota or ToyotaPartsDeal.com and get it delivered to you.

Search and compare prices for 04000-32528. It is a kit used in a TSB which is cheaper and comes with a gasket for the inverter coolant drain plug. There is not the same level of information about it on the online websites, probably because if you're ordering it you know what you are asking for.

04000-32528 is a kit consisting of
    • the G9020-47031 pump plus
    • a gasket, part number 90430-18008.

I hope that helps.

#17 dolj, Apr 23, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    Isaac Zachary likes this.