1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pascal's wager

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Mar 18, 2012.

1. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Anti-sodomy laws and laws defining a valid/recognized marriage as between a man and woman only...

2. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    The problem in Western civilisation is typically where law gives benefits to married couples which are not obtained by registered partners. Gay rights proponents will either push for gay marriage or getting the law changed so it only concerns registered partnership and gives marriage status as registered partnership.

The problems with religion arise when they push for the former which is clearly against scripture of many religions (gay marriage).

Still. Gay rights are far ahead of what you see in some Middle Eastern countries.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But what if you live your life as if there is a Christian God, and die and find out the Muslims were right all along?

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many families ban discussion of religion and politics at the dinner table, and for good reason. People get caught in the crossfire, the calmness required for good digestion is ruined, and everybody goes away mad. Airing our personal issues in public reflects poorly on Priuschat, and that's not good. For the most part, the Priuschat 'family' has banned discussion of politics at the 'dinner table' of open forums. I think it's time to do the same with religion.

The particular problem with signatures is that they show up everywhere. Statements of a religious or political nature should be kept to the private, opt-in forums, and should not be permitted in the open public forums.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ agreed in general.

A few are obsessed on this topic...I'd go so far as to speculate if some lost the use of their hands, they would be bent on finding a voice-activated browser to continue....they seem oblivious that compulsion reflects on them poorly.

A common Dilbert theme is someone that persists in continuing a behavior that creates issues and insists on doing it anyway...here at PC a few absolutely know their obsession of this topic is disruptive and don't stop as if some force has taken them over.

Still don't think ETC(SS) sig was that big a deal - there are far more provactive things I've seen on both sides .... Daniel is just being very sensitive.

If more than a fleeting mention of religion issues is moved to the private forums, that's a good thing. I'd be happy to discuss it at length, but it inevitably turns into a flamewar.

Frankly, I think a few have an agenda for this topic to be an ongoing public flamewar and the only resolution is to move it to the private forums.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Fair enough, but would it be Fred's House of Religion, Fred's Temple of Religion, Fred's Church of Religion, Fred's Mosque of Religion, or something else? We need a thread to decide; perhaps a public poll.

Tom

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll take that chance.
    But to answer your question I'll stand convicted before GOD (Allah, in this case) for my beliefs. Personally, most of the things that I've read about in the Qur'an (I haven't read the whole book) square up rather nicely with the same things I've read in the Bible.
    Islamic extremists have perverted this religion into something that's about 180 degrees out of phase with my very humble and uneducated interpretation of the "good versus evil" thing. I'm a man without letters, since I spent much of my twenties knocking holes in the North Atlantic instead of sleeping through philosophy classes.
    Christian extremists don't have a much better track record to be sure, which is one of the very things that have led to the founding of this country, and the establishment of a very thick and very high firewall between government and religion.
    Yeah...I know.
    That firewall isn't as robust as it should be, but life for the anti-religion left is a lot better here than it would be in some warm, sandy places that I've been to. Also the "Hate America First" crowd neglects to acknowledge (at times) that one of the greatest strengths of this country is the self-correcting mechanisms that have been built into the USC (as amended) that have moved this country away from some of the baser aspects of religious fundamentalism.
    The wheels were designed to turn slowly.
    We can look back to a past that wasn't as righteous as it could have been and excoriate the USofA for all of her sins, or we can push forward and try live by the high and noble words that were written in the foundational documents.
    Your call.
    Me? I prefer to look forward with hope and optimism, than backwards with hate and rage.
    History (literally: HIS STORY) is important to be sure, but I prefer to study it as a "don't do this again" sorta exercise rather than an excuse to hate folks who think a little differently that I do about some issues.
    Buuuuuut, that's just me being me again.
    THAT's what I meant when I changed my signature.
    If I'm right, and I stand before GOD...sinful and unworthy as anybody else, I'm not going to do so with a clear conscience. I screw up as much as (IF NOT MORE THAN) everybody else does. I don't think that GOD wants me to regale him (or her!) with stories of how I plunged my sword into the breast of the unbelievers, or how I berated folks for not going to Sunday school, or for how I defended religion in some turd flicking contest on a car forum.
    I'm thinking that perhaps Judgment Day (if they can judge me in just one day ;) ) will be a little bit deeper than that.

If GOD's name is Allah, or Yahweh, or George, we're going to be well and truly past the point of counting how many times I've been to Mecca, or whether or not I like bacon with my cheeseburger.

Just sayin' :D

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe Fred's House of Holey Pancakes? :cool:

Assuming we can come to an agreement about the need for such a place...

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We need such a place, and once we get the combatants, I mean participants, loaded, we blast off the B Ship.

Tom

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I think that's helpful.

Agreed. Although, it might be going a bit far to call it anyone's personal agenda to fan the flames for the sole purpose of cleansing the forums of religion....oh wait....do you think it would help? :p

I think it's fair to say there are strong feelings on all sides, and experience tells us that every point will be met with a counterpoint.

The 'Freedom Of Religion Includes Freedom From Religion' concept protects everyone's rights.

11. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    However it got implemented, I predict at least a couple of members perhaps busting their monitors or getting extremely upset for pushing their luck. They would HATE that - HATE IT.

I consider this the "nuclear option", but one that needs serious consideration.

This is as bad or worse than some political discussions - again, some WANT this flamewar to remain public.

The deterrent is to set up such a forum.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but getting everybody loaded first will just create more emotion and angst. Not to mention all that spacebarf floating around in zero-g. :rolleyes:

13. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hyo_silver,

I think your proposal is necessary, even if goes a bit in the other direction of echewing the religion topic.

Daniel in post #12 stated he is posting to rally other non-religious people, but it's been done with way too much strife. Besides, I have not attacked them and don't know if others have - not often.

It's kind of like earlier in my thread mentioning Bill Russell. What if he met me at that point in his life: "Chuck is white - he MUST be a racist!" Never mind I did not do anything - I simply look like a lot of racists he suffered. Some of that goes on on this topic and definitely in the very reason for this thread.

I think a lot of people could discuss religion calmly - in other settings I have with people of different beliefs.

It's just way too adversarial here.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thak you. I love it!

What I respect in Jesus's teachings is his value system, not his belief system. I respect and admire Christians who follow Jesus's value system. I have known many such people and I have no quarrel with them. Typically, we get along great. Their theism and my atheism do not grate upon each other.

The question of whether salvation is by faith alone, or whether works are necessary is a hot one within Christianity. I once saw a Catholic and a Pentacostalist actually come to blows over this quarrel. Paul said, in agreement with you, that faith without works is dead. But Calvinists quote other verses to argue the contrary.

ETC: I was not offended by your signature. It merely reminded me of an argument that deserved rebuttal. Whether you were making the argument or not. The argument has been made regularly.

If I am obsessed with this issue it is because certain, perhaps small, segments of the fundamentalist Christian movement are intent on forcing their narrow brand of Christianity on the rest of us. Christianity was the major argument against civil rights for people of color; it's the only argument against the right of same-sex couple to marry; Christians (not all, just some fundamentalists) are engaged in a ferocious battle to undermine science education and to bring religion into the school system, through prayer and the teaching of religious dogma in science classes. There is a religious assault upon the body politic with people such as Sarah Palin and others bringing religion into politics and insisting that religion is the only grounds for a proper social order. Christianity is the majority religion here, but I do not discriminate: Around the world, Christians, Muslims, and Jews are busily murdering each other without compunction, often killing their own as well. I've been told by religious people that I'm going to hell for believing in evolution, for being a christ-killer, for being an atheist, and even for being a vegetarian, for crying out loud!

On the other hand, when I was in prison for opposing nuclear weapons, a movement which has a lot of Christian pacifists in it, I was frequently told that I was more Christian than many Christians. I considered that a mixed compliment, since it seemed to suggest that only a Christian could be a pacifist, but I knew it was well-intentioned. The distinction there is between values and beliefs. I share a value system with Christian pacifists (they and I agree that Christianity requires pacifism) and so they view pacifism as a profoundly Christian value, and more important than what someone believes. And while I do not regard pacifism as an exclusively Christian value, I do regard it as a value that transcends beliefs, and if a person is a pacifist and respects the civil and human rights of others, then I do not care what they believe.

It's how you treat other people that I care about. And I think that's what Jesus cared about.

As for segregating religious discussion into a separate "Fred's House of Religion," I'd have no objection to that. That's up to Danny. I will neither advocate nor oppose such a move. Anybody that wants to can suggest it. You can PM Danny, or post in the Website Questions forum.

Until then, Fred's is for anything not Prius-related.

BTW, I find religion fascinating as a sociological phenomenon. Why people believe things that run counter to evidence (such as a young Earth) and why they are so hateful of people who hold to other religions mystifies me. And the mythologies of religions fascinate me. I've read large parts of the Bible, the Tao te Ching, bits of Hindu stuff, a few pages of the Book of Mormon (that one was just too dull to hold my interest) some bits of the Qur'an, and I've gone through several Teaching Company courses on comparative religions. The subject is fascinating.

But when people try to force their religion on me, as some Christians have done and are doing in politics today, then I fight back.

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^it's interesting that you choose imprisonment for pacifism, and yet you seem to fight bitterly against those who would force their religion on you.
    That's certainly not a critique...I'm in no way qualified to judge you or anybody else.
    I just don't think that seeing the G-word mentioned in public meets my personal standard for hate crime.

I'm also fascinated by techniques that some (not you personally) in the anti-theist movement use that mirror those used by the fundamentalist theists.
    See GOD mentioned in a public school? STAMP IT OUT!
    See GOD inscribed on a public building? STAMP IT OUT!
    See GOD mentioned on currency? Well......you get the idea! ;)

BTW....I too would like to see them hit the delete button on "In God We Trust" on our currency. I have no heartburn with, nor am I offended by the mentioning of the G-word in public however (comma!!!) I think that IGWT stamped on money is debasing to GOD, not the United States.
    JMHO... ;)

16. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    If the member of PC would be able to interact in a religious discussion without resorting to personal attacks and flames... would it then still reflect negatively on PC?

17. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ Yes, plus there are other things:

- Agree to disagree - it's obvious some will not be a peace unless everyone agrees with them it seems, and that's obviously not going to happen.

- Avoiding extended discussions. That's not bad in itself, but it's usually the result of some members being incapable of agreeing to disagree as in the 1st point. There are simply some issues people are not going to change their mind. That and frequent threads attempting to put the other viewpoint on the defensive.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Regardless of what us inmates think we want, I rather doubt the guards want yet another playground within their jurisdiction. It's taken quite some time to get the political fights under control, and even now there are still hotspots to extinguish. I can picture the mods swearing and ripping their hair out at having to respond to every complaint about religious content. Yet, it seems that may be the path of least resistance if things keep going the way they are. Sorry, Mr Moderators; my suggestion for a separate forum was not intended to make your lives more difficult.

19. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ Most laws happen when a few get carried away - the more excess - the more regulation, i.e. "nanny state."

If the tone of discussion on this topic can improve - problem solved!

Otherwise, I think a private forum is necessary.

20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ which usually happens and all is well for 5-6 months.