1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pass. headlight works 50% of the time.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Couldbeworse, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Couldbeworse

Couldbeworse New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently purchased a 2103 prius 2, and my headlights only work after I jiggle the wire, until I go over a bump. When I first noticed this issue, the wires were pulled out of the bulb connector, so I assumed the issue was a lack of connection. So I purchased a new head light connector and replaced the old one, with solder and shrink wrap.

This seemed to fix the issue for 2 days, now have to play with the bulb a lot more to get it to turn on, and it shuts off prior to going over bumps.

I'm starting to think I have an issue with the wiring harness. Is there anyway to run a fused wire from the driver side headlight to power the passenger side? Or am I stuck replacing the whole wiring harness?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which type of headlight are you running in your Prius?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This car fascinates me more and more. Not only is the car from the future, but the headlight responds to future bumps. I can't explain it, but it's pretty cool.

Couldbeworse and StarCaller like this.
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps it's the bulb???? If the harness was damaged, it could have damaged the bulb.
    You could replace them, or at least switch sides and see if the problem switches sides.

5. Couldbeworse

Couldbeworse New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I should have added I replaced the bulbs prior to switching the connector. The headlights are the stock halogen with H11 bulbs

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Set aside some time to deep clean the areas near the headlight wires. This is an ideal way to inspect for a bad wire. If that checks out, then perhaps the tabs/prongs the bulb plugs into are loose and you can slightly bend the terminals so they fit better.

7. Couldbeworse

Couldbeworse New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just finished cleaning/inspecting the headlight wires. There is no damage to the flex tubing, so I can't imagine there being any to the wire. The only damage I saw, prior soldering a new connector was the wires appeared to be pulled out of the original connector.

As far as the tabs, the fit is snug and they look normal.

Is it possible to just run a new line for power tapped into the other head light?

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you can run a wire from the other headlamp, but it's not advisable.
    You need to find the reason why it's not working. Maybe a bad ground connection?
    It's a pain, but you should trace the wiring back as far as you can.
    If the wires were pulled out, why? Did someone yank of the harness? So check further up
    the harness and see if you see any evidence of that.
    You can turn the headlamps on, and start pulling and tugging and twisting on the harness
    and see if the light goes out, or flickers.
    You said your replaced all the connectors, did you solder them? Were the wires damaged?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Also be aware, if one of the headlight wires has a lavender color insulation, it is probably an aluminum wire. Be careful how you join that to copper.

10. Couldbeworse

Couldbeworse New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have checked the wiring as far as I can see and it all seems to be fine. Attached is the back of the headlight, I'm wondering if this could be a cause?

Awhile ago I mentioned the fact that I get static shocked everytime I get out of the car to a buddy, and he told me that's a sign of a short. Can I use my multimeter (only has a 5 amp setting, instead of 10 amp) to confirm if there is a short? The reason I ask is every article/YouTube video says to put the multimeter to 10amp setting.

Attached Files:

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would use an extension like this (ebay item 171655312821) on the driver's side, and tap off the extension to activate a relay that takes power directly from the engine fuse box. You can ground the relay and the other headlight wire anywhere that is convenient.

As far as the shock you are getting, that definitely is not normal, and should be diagnosed and fixed. Could at minimum drain your battery, at worse, cause a fire.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would look for the problem ... a 2013 isn't yet so old as to be gone at with thereifixedit-style repairs.

One thing I don't think you've mentioned yet: low beam or high beam? The circuits are supplied differently.

13. Couldbeworse

Couldbeworse New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes the light goes out of I play with the harness while on, the same as it turns on when i play with the harness when it goes out. A few nights ago it blinked a few times before going out while I was at a stop light

It's the low beam. This issue has caused my driver side low beam to burn out, which the bulbs were only 3 months old.

#13 Couldbeworse, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2021