1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger Airbag OFF even with passenger

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by efusco, Aug 30, 2019.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondering if anyone knows if there's an easy fix..maybe a wire to reconnect or something. We see the "Passenger Airbag OFF" light even when there is a passenger in the passenger seat. Kinda felt around under the seat for any obvious loose/dangling wires, but without luck.

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Find the switch that deactivates the passenger airbag. Here is one example.

Attached Files:

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Front Passenger Occupant Classification System is described in the “General 2005 Features” section of the New Car Features book (more info) for 2005; if your 2004 has it, perhaps it was added late in the model year.

I’d expect a simple problem, such as a disconnected wire, would turn on the SRS warning light and cause diagnostic trouble codes to be stored. Later editions of the Repair Manual have a “Trouble in Passenger Airbag ON/OFF Indicator” procedure that includes such items as doing the zero point calibration and sensitivity check, both using a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, and re-tightening the seat bolts to the specified torque.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like you’re on to something, but I don’t find the switch. Do you know if I need to pull off trim panels to access.

Also, I didn’t specify, but this is on the 2010 Prius IV.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, this is a 2010 Prius IV.

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The airbag cut-off switch on third-generation Prius models is found only on cars built for sale in certain countries. It may not exist on U.S. cars, which use the occupant classification system instead.
    The situation (and the title of the Repair Manual procedure) is the same as for 2005 and later models.