1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger door won't open

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Waldemar, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Waldemar

Waldemar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello,

I have problems with passenger side front door. It won't lock/unlock when holding the hand on the handle or when pressing the button on the handle. Everything is fine on driver side and when using the lock button from the arm rest on the same driver side of Prius. It is also OK when I unlock/lock the car with the FOB.

Is it actuator (as I found in several posts) or something else? I live in Norway and believe me, cost of fixing such things in US is nothing compared to prices here :) Tnx in advance, I hope I haven't posted in wrong forum.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! please clarify: are you saying the passenger door won't open manually with the inside handle, or electrically with the inside door button, but will open electrically with the fob, or the button on the drivers door?

3. Waldemar

Waldemar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello and sorry for being unclear. All is fine when inside the Prius (I have this SKS). 12V battery changed in January 2015 by Toyota and CR batteries in both FOBs are pretty new.

Standing outside:

1. Unlock/lock from the distance - works fine with FOB. Sometimes responding bit slow but always works.

2. FOB in a pocket - driver door unlocks/locks fine when holding the handle/pressing the key on the handle. Same with baggage compartment door. Passenger door is not reacting on holding the handle and pressing the key. I had some things replaced on the right side door 2 years ago by Toyota and maybe some cable is loose.

Actuator or not, that is the question now :)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it works fine from inside the car, it can't be the actuator. perhaps the sks button on the door, or wiring to it?

Waldemar likes this.
  5. Waldemar

Waldemar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thx again, will try to remove door panel soon. Chop shops are selling whole door here, no handle or button on the market.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That could be. The fault is likely with the touch sensor on the door handle, or the antenna on the passenger door side of the car (that senses the fob's proximity), or their associated wiring harnesses.

Not.

8. Waldemar

Waldemar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thx a lot, I saw your post on replacing the switch on the hatch door. Will try to figure out what is part number for passenger door switch (if that is the case). All the best!