1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passenger Side Wiper Not Tight to Windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by qmanqman, Jan 22, 2021.

1. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I searched the forum on "wiper" and couldn't find any help. There were also no youtubes on the subject which I found odd.

The passenger wiper does hot hold tight to the windshield. Last time I turned them on it would sometimes not even make contact with the glass. If I grab the wiper arm it wiggles as though the linkage/bushing under that big old crab looking thing is worn.

Is there a known fix for this or do I have to purchase that cam arm? Its part # 85211B in this diagram. The actual Toyota Part # is 8521147050 or 85211-47050.

[​IMG]

#1 qmanqman, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are both nuts tight that hold the passenger arm?

3. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes. I just made sure of that. I had removed this stuff over the summer to replace the O2 sensor so I figured I hadn't tightened the nuts. I just checked them and they're plenty tight.

I've owned a couple Honda Accords and the wiper bushings wear out and do this same thing. Its a known issue on Accords. The bushings can be replaced. It doesn't seem to be a widespread issue on the Prius.

#3 qmanqman, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you removed it and visually confirmed where the worn out places are?

And yes, you're correct that this is very rare problem for Prius. First time I've read of it in 8 years on here...

And because your car is 14 years old there's no need to by a brand new one. Simply find a local wrecker where you pull the parts yourself and just remove the worn out bushing/parts you need. This will keep the cost of repair incredibly low.

5. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Haven't yet. I am gonna remove it today. Maybe I did do something wrong when I put it back on.

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    BUT is there any play in the arm or shaft ?
    Is the arm seated all the way down on the shaft before the nuts are tightened ?

If that is all OK, then there is a pivot and spring in the arm itself that might need some exercise and lube........or a new spring.

7. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I took it off and took it apart. There is a ton of play in the two bushings in this pic. I lubed the spring and bushings and put it back on and it seems grip the windshield tighter. When I put it back this summer I just slapped it in there and tightened the nuts. I didn't look closely as to how the holes in the wiper mechanism sat down on the tapered splines of the moving pieces. Maybe I got them cocked in there weird. It seems to wipe better but we'll see here in the next couple days since its supposed to snow. Wiper Bushing Pic.jpg

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You showed real determination getting that plastic cover off. :) I did it once, to say I did, and then decided not to after that, as I found when those bearings do need lube it works well enough to squirt it in from the undersides.

I think if you felt a lot of actual play there, you might end up replacing the arm. There might have been an earlier point where lubing would have kept the play from developing, but 20/20 hindsight is the commonest kind.

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well... I think that pic explains what your problem is. Do you still have the cover?

Those two black nut caps that bolt the two arms to the car is what you're suppose to remove when you "take off" your wiper to work on it.

But in your picture the wiper was never taken off and the cover that is missing is NOT supposed to be removed like that, which is why it's all busted around where you're experience everything being loose. I guess you or someone before you damaged those pivot points by prying /damaging the cover and now those joints are failing due to being pryed at / exposed to the elements?

Maybe you can get by for a little while, but you need to get to the junk yard and buy a replacement... This is what your wiper part is supposed to look like:

Attached Files:

10. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Nothing is busted anywhere. I removed the cover (very easy BTW) to inspect the bushings and there is a ton of play in the bushings. I installed it without the cover just to check the fit and take the picture. I did remove it again, put the cover back on, and re-install it. Seems like it is tighter. But we'll see soon enough.

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if it was different on Gen 1 (the one I removed). It was 'easy' in principle, just a plastic cover with tabs to push back to release it, but the tabs were incredibly stiff.

12. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This might not be abnormal.
    On some vehicles, you can actually see the side play in the shaft while the wipers are running.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pretty sure none of mine have had anything I would call "a ton of play".

I have had to lube those bearings, both in a Gen 1 and later in a Gen 3, when they got dried out to the point they were noticeably slowing down the wipe. (Easy way to check: lift the blades from the glass, turn on the wipers. If the cycle is still slow, it's probably those bearings. To be sure, remove that passenger arm. If the driver arm then cycles at normal speed, it's definitely those bearings.)

If the bearings were to get bad like that, and not get lubricated, but just continue to be used in that state, I could see that eventually progressing to a "ton of play" situation as they eat themselves up.

14. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    They're so loose they don't need lube LOL. It snowed today but I didn't think to drive it. Its my daughter's car. I might have her drive it.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My inner 15 year old has been awakened...... :ROFLMAO:

qmanqman likes this.