1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passengers Break LED’s out’

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Paul Schenck, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can I get some help understanding the Break light wiring?
    My passenger side Break LED’s are out.
    I removed the interior trim after I realized I needed to remove them to get a good look at them.

Out of frustration, I swatted it and they all came back on for a while. That’s a loose connection but which one??
    Anyone have the electrical diagram?

iPhone ?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ordinarily I just kind of shake my head at people confusing brake with break, but this thread title really threw me. I'm like, "his passengers do what? What sort of clowns is he driving around, anyway?"

-Chap

3. Paul Schenck

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Chap, was hoping some one would enjoy my confusion.
    My Broken Brake lights are Breaking my Bliss.
    I had fun, took them out swapped right for left tested and found strange things

iPhone ?

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Care to explain the strange things? I watched (without audio) and was not quite sure of what I saw.

KK6PD likes this.
  5. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've pulled out and put back in one of my tail lights because a plastic bit of an LED replacement I had fell in one of the housings. IIRC, it's clear which connector is for the LEDs; it's the only one not connected to another bulb. This would be a good place to start - clean and remove corrosion on both sides of this connector and see if it helps. Based on what you describe with bumping the light making it come back on, this is where I'd look first.

Worst case you need a new tailight. Make sure to get the right version, IIRC 04-06 have a smoke tint on top, 07-09 refresh don't have this.

6. Paul Schenck

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good thoughts, I found the LED’s are driven by a circuit board at the base of the tail light assembly. I have six GEN two that I use for parts, it does not have the smoked tail light like so I may use the circuitboard after I have tested to find out is the problem.

iPhone ?

Artsoil likes this.
  7. Peter Fanelli

Peter Fanelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did away with the factory brake lights on my 05 when the second one failed. I altered the wiring on my housings to turn the reverse lights into brake lights with red LED bulbs. I replaced the turn signal bulbs with combination white/amber DRL LED bulbs so I have reverse and turn signals using the same reflector position. So now from bottom to top it's tail lights....brake lights......turn/reverse lights.....funky decoration. Oh and the turn signal has priority over the white DRL so the only oddity is if you pull up to reverse into a parking space and have your turn signal on when you hit reverse you will only have the reverse light on one side. No big deal.

Paul Schenck likes this.