1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passing 07 Prius along to son, major maintenance suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by demort, Aug 27, 2013.

1. demort

demort New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So my son is getting my Prius which I've racked a lot of commuter miles on - like nearly 160,000.
    I've done regular oil change and mechanical repairs, but never a really major maintenance. My friend suggested that I probably ought to since who knows how it will be driven for the next several years.
    At my last oil change I did get the serpentine belt changed.
    I've had alternating should and don't need to suggestions about the inverter water pump.
    My friend suggests that along with spark plugs.

So I'd be much obliged to hear what you have to say. I'd like this to last him through several years of college.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you have not already done these once:
    your 12 volt battery is 6 years old, time to replace.
    Drain and replace the ATF WS from the transaxle.
    Throttle body cleaning

Find a cheap bazzillion point inspection and have them look at brakes and suspension.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The maintenance and warranty booklet shows periodic maintenance requirements. You should do everything listed for the 100K and 120K mile services if those services have not already been done. In particular, iridium spark plug replacement, engine and cabin air filter changes, and engine / inverter coolant changes.

Additional preventive maintenance:

- inverter coolant pump replaced now if not earlier replaced under the Toyota recall
    - engine thermostat and PCV valve replaced
    - engine coolant pump replaced unless you can count on your son keeping an eye on the engine coolant level
    - 12V battery as previously suggested
    - transaxle ATF should be replaced as previously suggested.

4. demort

demort New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah yes, I did have the inverter coolant pump relpaced under recall. Is that coolant due for a flush and fill while we're at it?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, unless the repair invoice clearly indicates that the inverter coolant was replaced at that time. Flush is not necessary; drain and fill is adequate.