1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Passing Smog test with intermittent warnings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HardonCars, Jul 31, 2017.

1. HardonCars

HardonCars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Im in California and have a 2007 Prius with 160K miles on it that I occasionally get a check engine light come on. I was told this was due to the O2 sensors indicating incorrect reading. I was told that the catalytic coverter needs to be replaced. In California you have to replace the entire exhaust system so its a $1500 fix. I need to smog my car to register it this year. The check engine, the light goes off and on, is it possible that I might be able to get car smogged when the light isn't on?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not the expert, but if the warning light is off and you have no codes showing, you might pass.

The mistake I just made with my other car (that I do not use much) is that I cleared the codes before going for inspection. That made the car non-ready for inspection, so I had to take the car for 1-hour drive just to get ready to pass inspection. I also had intermittent warning lights for lose gas cap on that vehicle.