1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Past the Max Coolant Level Concern

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tetsuooooooooo, Jul 18, 2020.

1. tetsuooooooooo

tetsuooooooooo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys, should I be worried that my coolant level is way past the max fill line? After a visit to the stealership, this is what it looks like now. I searched the forum for other threads like this but I noticed that the other threads were moreso about low levels. Thanks!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the brake fluid reservoir. I think the black rubber cap is labeled I know it says Dot3 which is brake fluid.The marks are on it are self explanatory.

Did you just get your oil changed at the dealer because that's what they like to do overfill the crap out of everything,. Check you oil its now 1/2 inch above the full line.

The engine coolant has an overflow tank hanging off the back of the rad. Its coolant level is meaningless on a G2 it could be full and the rad empty so not a good gauge of coolant level and should be disregarded as a level check.

There's a black plastic cover over the top of the rad. It has 6 screws take those screws off and it will reveal the radiator cap under it on the left of the rad. That's where you check engine coolant when the engine is cold.

Coolant should always be at the top of that neck and you should not lose one drop of coolant. Don't bother putting the screws back in that cover leave them off so its easy to check that rad. The hood when closed traps that cover tight.

The reservoir just to the left of the big silver square cover is the inverter coolant reservoir. Coolant should always be at the top mark.
    The pump for that coolant is a high failure item and should be routinely checked. You check that pump function by putting the car in READY then taking the cap off that inverter reservoir and with a flashlight look inside the reservoir at the coolant's behavior. It should look like its boiling which means the pump is aggressively pumping that's good

If your coolant is just sitting there the pump is bad. Very very common failure and that pump check should be part of your under hood check routine.

SFO likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And that is NOT "a lot" over the mark.
    It is should NOT be a problem.

BUT.....if it really worries you, take it BACK to the dealer ask them to remove some.

4. tetsuooooooooo

tetsuooooooooo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @edthefox5 Thank you so much for that informative break down! I did not know half of those details. No, I did not get the oil changed, just took it by for an inspection and it came back this way. I checked the pump coolant (inverter) yesterday and a week before that, and the fluid was definitely perculating, so I guess I am OK?

@sam spade 2 Thank you, I was unsure since it said "Max" that it was way over the top.

Do either of you know if there is a thread that shows what the colors and levels of these fluids should look like so I can keep an eye on them in the future? Thank you!

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never said IT WAS A PROBLEM.

Its fine leave it alone.

But get a black sharpie and label all the reservoirs that brake reservoir the inverter reservoir and the window washer reservoir.
    Then using the sharpie highlight the high level lines in all those reservoirs.

Don't bother with the rad overflow tank check that manually like the way I told you.

tetsuooooooooo likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is this car new to you?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They maybe "topped up all the fluids", including the brake fluid, which is really a no-no.

Brake fluid would only normally need a top up if it's leaking somehow, and then you have a much more serious problem, and topping up is not the solution.

Brake fluid has an optimum level. When the brake pads are new the fluid will be highest, but not above the top mark. As the pads wear the caliper and brake drum pistons extend out to compensate, and the fluid level in reservoir drops accordingly.

Install new pads (and you have to push the pistons back in their bores to do this), and reservoir fluid level goes back up.

One extra wrinkle: with the Prius if the car has sat for a while, the level creeps higher. Open driver's door, a pump whirs and the level will drop a good 1/2".

So maybe they topped it up after a driver's door opening (for no good reason). Or it's been topped up in past and you got new pads with this service?