1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pay for compression test when buying a gen3?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by BlackPrius001, Dec 12, 2022.

1. BlackPrius001

BlackPrius001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at a 2013 Prius V with ~140K miles on it. It's out of town so I can't drive it myself without investing the time and effort to travel a significant distance to see it. I have a 2011 Prius and I'm aware of the issues around oil burning, EGR system clogs, and potential head gasket impacts. I obviously want to avoid the the huge issues when purchasing the car. My questions:

What kind of mechanical inspection is reasonable to try to ascertain whether there is significant damage from a clogged EGR system? A compression check? And is that necessary if the car is running smooth and there is no white smoke in the exhaust?

What other basic mechanical review would you recommend?

And as soon as I buy it I would plan to clean the EGR system, so I'm just trying to ensure I'm not buying a car w/ huge issues that will take a lot of money to fix. And I know I can't eliminate the risk, but if there are some easy things to have a mechanic look for before I drive to see it I would rather spend a little money up front to avoid the pain and suffering.

Thanks!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After a test drive, If you open up the coolant reservoir and hear a sucking sound a compression test would be wise...

3. BlackPrius001

BlackPrius001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Literally a sound, or just movement in the coolant? And would I be able to see significant drop in the coolant level in a single trip? I'm assuming for either (coolant sucking, coolant drop) I probably don't need a compression test, I just need to find a new vehicle to buy?

And is it generally assumed that the 2010-2013 will have a head gasket failure at some point, or if you take care of it (EGR cleanout, maybe oil catch can) that it can be avoided?

Thanks for your feedback.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's a gen3 w 140K so anytimes a good point. Moving forward. I mean you could have the car scanned with tech and see what the flow rate is and the EGR system whatever it is that they're looking for in tech and then give a number and see what that is and where you stand with that that'd be about the only way other than the other things mentioned here about the coolant jug and whatnot but then that's the problem already started which would be great if somebody saw that then you wouldn't ever have to do anything but that's generally not how it works out beware

5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be sure the inside of the tailpipe isn't wet or sooty.

I'm skeptical of the "sucking sound" test.

6. BlackPrius001

BlackPrius001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great idea - thank you!

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You’re going to get a local to the car mechanic to test? Tell the owner you want him/her to do a cold start? And make sure the mechanic understands/verifies, it’s a cold-soak, first thing in the morning start up.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It could need an engine because of a blown head gasket but the owner used a temporary sealer that will last a few weeks. Add oil burning, a cheap reconditioned hv battery and an all too frequent brake booster fail and you could be out $10k in repairs.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would be highly skeptical of the wet tailpipe.

The suction noise from opening the coolant cap is accurate.

I had a blown HG and the suction sound was there.

I have a rebuilt now and there is no suction

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And then you wouldn’t hear the sucking sound (post #2 by @PriusCamper)? Because effectively you don’t have a leaking head gasket, “cured” by sealant treatment?

Maybe this stuff should be outlawed. I know, draconian. But it’s akin to an odo-rolling tool. Not sure if that’s a thing lol, but makes a good analogy, lol.

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just want to make the buyer aware of the potential expenses and tricks flippers can employ. A nine to ten year old 140k mile v could provide a year or two of low cost motoring or it may not.

I would want an excellent price and still be in love with its interior, exterior, driving dynamics and mpg, which is limited to 40-42mpg on the heavier v wagon. If I had to buy it sight unseen or had to rely on an unknown mobile mechanic's cursory inspection, I would absolutely decline.

Even with a personal test drive and an experienced hybrid mechanic's review, I would still want $5k off private party value considering the car market is starting to normalize and gas prices are around $2.50 a gallon in Texas right now, which always weakens Prius demand. I certainly would not finance it for three or more years at current interest rates.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    These questions maybe came across as rhetorical? Didn’t mean thus; genuinely wondering, will a sealer mask the warning signs?

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not the kind of car you want to travel to buy.

Not very many Prius v of that age are in truly good shape, and at least some of the ones you'd see in any given search are being sold because somebody found a problem. People love these cars! Why sell it unless there's a problem?

Knowing that, simple logic says you'll need to walk away from a few before you see the right one. Can you really afford traveling to reject a few cars?

The very best defense against a hidden defect is to negotiate the price down low enough that you can afford to roll with the punches.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. A sealant will make it run fine, no start up rattles or coolant loss. For a while.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So then the compression tests, leak down tests or removing coolant cap to check for pressure would come up negative. The symptoms masked, temporarily.

16. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If that's true, then my Prius has had a failed head gasket for the past 95,000 miles with no adverse effects yet.

ASRDogman likes this.