1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pay local resident near work to charge car?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by pasta4breakfast, Mar 8, 2020.

1. pasta4breakfast

pasta4breakfast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Has anyone entered an agreement with a neighbor or a resident near their work to pay for access to their home charger? I have a 35 mile commute to work. There is a chargepoint charging station about 15 minutes away from my work by foot, but I do not consistently have enough time in the middle of the day to walk to the car, unplug it and move it. It also charges $0.40/kwh, which is approaching twice the cost of gas. I noticed there are a few homes really close to my work that charge their electric vehicles before or after business hours. I think one may even have solar panels. If you received the following letter in your mail box, how interested would you be in contacting the sender? Do you think this idea is creepy or reasonable?

Dear Resident,

I would like to charge my vehicle during business hours 5 days a week at your home. I am willing to pay you 120% of the vehicle's electricity cost. I work at (name of my employer) and am looking for a convenient and afordable way to reduce my carbon footprint by charging my vehicle while I work. If you are interested in helping me do this and making a small profit, please contact me at (my phone number and email address).

Sincerly,
    My Name

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming that their EVSE is available without having you intrude into their private space (e.g. they mounted their charger in the driveway or accessible from a laneway), it's worth a shot.

Another way to check is plugshare.com and under Filters --> Networks, ensure that "residential locations" is enabled. People who are on plugshare that want to share their plug will post their station on the website.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome to PriusChat !

I certainly would have no issue with what you are proposing, whether someone opts in, well who knows. I have made a few Edits to your proposal.

"Dear Resident,

I would like to charge my Toyota Prius electric car during business hours 5 days a week at your home. I am willing to pay you 120% of the vehicle's electricity charging cost. Payment can be Cash or Check once a month or at the end of every week, homeowners choice. I work at (name of my employer) and am looking for a convenient and affordable way to reduce my carbon footprint by charging my vehicle while I work. All that is needed* from the homeowner is a standard 120 volt outlet. I will supply the needed charger, extension cord (if needed), and the Kilowatt meter that is used for determining actual electric costs. If you are interested in helping me do this and making a small profit, please contact me at (my phone number and email address).

Sincerly,
    My Name"

Rob43

* Truthfully, you're also getting a FREE parking spot in front of their home, hopefully they don't figure that out.

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. pasta4breakfast

pasta4breakfast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for the tips. That is a good point about the value of the parking spot. Although there is plenty of free parking in the area, I understand that many people would place substantial value on the use of their driveway for the whole work day. That probably is a good idea to specify that I am willing to pay using their preferred payment method and frequency. I did see residential home chargers on plugshare. Unfortunately they are not within a reasonable walking distance from my work.

5. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Consider posting up your finished draft before you distribute them to the homeowners.

Rob43

Raytheeagle likes this.