1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paying a Pro to install stereo equipment is worth it!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Megatech, Jun 2, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

88.9%
  2. NO

11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Megatech

Megatech EV Owner-WannaBe

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    [​IMG]Hey, I haven't posted here before but I have been reading and trying to learn. We just took delivery on an '08 touring in the seaside pearl w/pkg 6.
    [​IMG]
    We live near a large city that has a huge new Toyota dealership and we couldn't get them to order us one without any other add-ons such as pinstripes and "luster sealant", so we ordered from a small-town low-overhead one about 150 miles from here. They got us one with nothing but pkg 6 and it was a little over 28K. One reason for my post is that even though the JBL system sounds good, the bass is way lacking. I've seen several threads where people became do-it-yourselfers with powered and non-powered subs and have decided that's not for me. Could I do it? Probably , eventually, but it would take (hopefully only several) hours and then I might end up as others have on here pleading for help. Please people, do yourselves a favor and let someone work on your cars who actually knows what they're doing. If you were hiring someone, would you hire you? Otherwise, just be happy with the stereos you have!

The other reason for this post is to share some research I've done.
    I have an appointment with a high-end place in a couple of days who's charging me $75 (labor) to really make my system sound great. Money well spent to my mind in that they've installed loads of stuff in other cars EXACTLY like mine. Have you noticed that Crutchfield isn't really all that cheap? The reason for that is because they're AUTHORIZED DEALERS. This place I'm going (who's also an authorized JL Audio dealer) actually beat them in price. This is JL Audio's cheapest sub box and I'm only paying $169 instead of $189.
    JL Audio CS110RG-W1v2 Sealed PowerWedgeâ„¢ enclosure with one 10" W1v2 subwoofer at Crutchfield.com
    What's great about this box (which has a style called hatchback) is that it works great in a hatchback! ...or at least if it's the right size, and this one is. It should fit just under the pull-forward luggage cover wedged into the angle created by the back of the rear seat and not stick out so far that I can't stand up the folding storage area cover Whew! That took some time to realize. But this picture sped up the process.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for sharing 9G-man!
    I'm just kind of in awe of JL ever since they released the W7 Series. The JL should be a lot tighter fit, but it costs less. Actually I'm glad it's a tight fit.
    As for the amp, I'm getting they're cheapest one of those too. The salesman has this exact setup in his Jeep and it sounded really tight!
    JL Audio A Series A1200 Mono full-range car amplifier 275 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

He pretty much tied Crutchfield here because it's $219 there as well. And he didn't just match Crutchfield because that's simply the price he quoted me.

JL also has pretty much the same box but with a better sub if you're into that.
    JL Audio CS110RG-W3v3 Sealed PowerWedgeâ„¢ enclosure with one 10" W3v3 subwoofer at Crutchfield.com
    'Course you'd need a bigger amp also and would might want to go with the slash v.2 250/1. Later you could add another box next to it and the slash amps are stackable.
    What I started out looking for was an empty box just like the JL box so that I could stick with JBL and use this excellent and affordable sub.
    JBL Grand Touring Series GTO1004D 10" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com
    But I never could find that perfect size so I finally gave up. I thought that would look really cool since the JBL logo can be seen in several other places in the car. If someone has seen a box that's the "perfect size" please let me know so that I can postpone the install. Otherwise, I'll have lots of pics Wednesday night if anyone is interested in coming back to see them. Anyway, I hope this helps someone out there. I know it would have saved me a LOT of time. BTW, when I was find where I had seen 9G-man's pic while ago, the first post I saw was where someone was wanting some help with their audio. Cheers.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Pro installs are great. People just have to stay away from the big-box and chains.

My subwoofer is aching for a new box. I plan on building an ideal sub box that would fit nicely behind the seats. It'd be the same shape as the one pictured above, but the subwoofer would be coming out the other side, as the slant in the box could be nearly flush with the seats. I'd probably make it as wide as the rear bench, or 2/3rd wide so it fits behind the bigger of the fold-downs, and still have full access with the smaller fold-down. I'm all for a pre-fab box, if one is available!

3. Megatech

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The picture in the first post is that of another member's Kicker Sub. The box I'm getting tomorrow has a JL sub and should have a slant that's pretty close to the slant in the back of the seat. I've decided to pay a little more and get the better sub that comes in the same box. Also I'm getting the smallest JL Slash Sub amp. I'm getting a deal on this set-up so (again) it won't be much more that buying it all from Crutchfield. I'll post pictures after we get home .

4. Megatech

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    here's the pictures that I said I would post.
    [​IMG]
    This is the amp mounted on plywood where the small plastic side bin was located.

[​IMG]
    This is everyting put back except the small plastic bin. With it missing some small strips of 1/2" plywood had to be glued on to make the cover come out flush with the rest of the deck.

[​IMG]
    This is the finished product with an over-sized loaner box which contains 2 10" w1 subs. When the box with 1 10" w3 sub comes in next week it should fit better and sound better.

[​IMG]
    The sub never draws power unless it senses a signal from the speaker wire. If the bass volume needs adjusting there is a control for it on the floor under the driver's right thigh.

Sorry about the goofy poll..if I could figure out how to change the name of the thread and get rid of the poll i would. I hope this helps someone since we're all driving pretty much the same car. . I'll post a pic of the box with the (hopefully) great fit when it comes in next week.